• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 04, 2015 - 11:31 PM

Ya I seen that post. That is where I got the bearing and seal number from. All I need is the square cut o-ring now. It looks to be the same size as the float bowl o-ring. But I have not verified that though.

Mine came off I one piece and still rubbery so I may just reuse them. Possibly squirt a little rtv around it for extra insurance.

The square cut is 3/4 of the way down on that page, Axle tube square cut O-ring 788024 $3.23, (Massey# 365450x1, JD# M41027)

Good luck :thumbs:

#17 KenM OFFLINE  

KenM

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7048
  • 50 Thanks
  • 131 posts

Posted March 05, 2015 - 07:34 PM

Well. I ordered both springs, both steel balls and both gaskets yesterday. Now gotta wait on those before I can put it back together again. Probably wont get to cleaning out the transaxle this weekend. Iowa Deer Classic is this weekend. Gonna volunteer some time at the NWTF booth.

#18 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted March 05, 2015 - 08:27 PM

Well. I ordered both springs, both steel balls and both gaskets yesterday. Now gotta wait on those before I can put it back together again. Probably wont get to cleaning out the transaxle this weekend. Iowa Deer Classic is this weekend. Gonna volunteer some time at the NWTF booth.

Slow progress is better than no progress.

Edited by Trav1s, March 05, 2015 - 08:27 PM.

#19 KenM OFFLINE  

KenM

• Contributor
  • 50 Thanks
  • 131 posts

Posted March 05, 2015 - 08:28 PM

Yep.

Edited by KenM, March 05, 2015 - 08:28 PM.

#20 KenM OFFLINE  

KenM

• Contributor
  • 50 Thanks
  • 131 posts

Posted March 05, 2015 - 10:03 PM

Just realized I forgot to order those flippin o-rings. Thankfully JD shows a nearby dealer that has them. Hopefully be able to get them Saturday morning on way to deer classic.

#21 KenM OFFLINE  

KenM

• Contributor
  • 50 Thanks
  • 131 posts

Posted March 12, 2015 - 10:30 PM

Got it cleaned out and put back underneath the tractor finally.  Denatured alcohol does not cut though that thick slimy mess.  Wound up using a little gasoline and a few rags, but finally got it done.

Quick note for those who have not done this yet.  The shifter fork assembly will go in upside down.  Found that out the hard way.  Wasn't paying attention when I put it back together.  Noticed something was wrong when I didn't have neutral, 2 gears and a strange clicking sound was coming from the inside of the transaxle. 

• Alc said thank you

#22 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 04:49 PM

Makes me wonder how many of our old tractors have gunk like that in them.  

IMHO petro based solvents are detrimental to ones health to some degree.  For most of my cleaning I have gone to hot soap and water.  It can take a bit more elbow grease but it works.  But for a job like this I would not want to try it.

Another alternative for cleaning is gasoline.   It cuts grease better than diesel but then there is the problem with fumes and fire.  I have been thinking of adding gas to diesel for cleaning stuff like this.  Yup not EPA or safety nazi approved.

It's a bit late but using gas to clean parts is way too dangerous. It's a good way to leave this earth or spend your remains days disfigured or worse.

For cleaning that transmission, I would use a putty knife and a roll of cheapo paper towels. Scoop, scrape and wipe as much as possible out, then use diesel or kerosene(whichever is cheapest) with a parts cleaning brush, clean it well, then more paper towels and wipe it down with oil until I got it back to work on it again.

I've been a volunteer fireman, using gas for cleaning and starting brush fires is bad news.
  • DennyIN said thank you

#23 KenM OFFLINE  

KenM

• Contributor
  • 50 Thanks
  • 131 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 07:04 PM

Yes I know gas is bad thing to use. But I only used about a cup of it.

But what is done is done. At least I am not the latest Darwin Award recipient. 😁

#24 bryan 110 OFFLINE  

bryan 110
  • Member No: 52864
  • 196 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 07:57 PM

You could use door knocker. It's a real powerful soap but you would still need to soak it and then wash the soap out. We use it at work.

Don't get it on your skin it can burn!