23 replies to this topic

#1 KenM OFFLINE  

KenM

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7048
  • 50 Thanks
  • 131 posts

Posted March 03, 2015 - 04:13 PM

First thing i did was remove wheels to replace worn out hubs. Ya. So i thought. Grease everywhere on inside rims. So i got new axle seals and went to replace them. Opened up the transfer case to replace the seals and this is what I found.

uploadfromtaptalk1425416801624.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1425416868870.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1425416901756.jpg

A mixture of oil as thick as bearing grease and ice.

Its gonna take me days to get this thing cleaned out.

What would be the best thing to use after i wipe everything off? Engine degreaser, brake/parts cleaner? Or any other suggestions?
  • tinbender7 said thank you

#2 Tomwendt OFFLINE  

Tomwendt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 27676
  • 117 Thanks
  • 128 posts

Posted March 03, 2015 - 04:22 PM

I would use kerosene myself.

#3 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted March 03, 2015 - 04:46 PM

I would use kerosene myself.

Or diesel fuel

#4 3v0 OFFLINE  

3v0
  • Member No: 26648
  • 79 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted March 03, 2015 - 05:37 PM

Makes me wonder how many of our old tractors have gunk like that in them.  

IMHO petro based solvents are detrimental to ones health to some degree.  For most of my cleaning I have gone to hot soap and water.  It can take a bit more elbow grease but it works.  But for a job like this I would not want to try it.

Another alternative for cleaning is gasoline.   It cuts grease better than diesel but then there is the problem with fumes and fire.  I have been thinking of adding gas to diesel for cleaning stuff like this.  Yup not EPA or safety nazi approved.

#5 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted March 03, 2015 - 06:14 PM

had several of them that looked like that and one of them was full of water

I used Purple Power that I got at Advance Auto

mixed it 50/50 with water

than washed the parts with water and dried them 

the water get into the transaxle from the shifter if left outside and if the transaxle was removed from the frame through the 5 holes 

#6 KenM OFFLINE  

KenM

• Contributor
  • 50 Thanks
  • 131 posts

Posted March 03, 2015 - 07:44 PM

Well so far I got my Mr. Buddy big buddy portable heater out and my Wagner heat gun. Heated case and the internals up to ice melting temps. Put the case halves back together and gonna let it drain out for a couple days while new outer shaft bearings are being shipped in. I'll look at it again when they arrive. Who knows. After melting all the ice out and warming the oil. It may be usable as it is. Doubtful but hopeful.

As far as using gas or diesel for cleaning. I was in auto industry for approximately 15 years. So I am sure 1 more day won't kill me off. I work in a factory bending and brazing copper now days using oxygen/acetylene or oxygen/propylene now.

#7 KenM OFFLINE  

KenM

• Contributor
  • 50 Thanks
  • 131 posts

Posted March 03, 2015 - 08:51 PM

Anyone know a good part number for the square o-ring for in between case and axle housing? It looks like a float bowl gasket would work.

#8 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted March 03, 2015 - 08:56 PM

Yeah thats dont look the greatest mine one didnt have oil anbd was all rusty

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted March 03, 2015 - 09:19 PM

General Rubber & Plastics just makes o-rings or square ones by glueing lengths together with what appeared to be super glue.  If yours is too long, you could shorten & glue it.  Best to cut the junction area at an angle.

• Alc said thank you

#10 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,298 Thanks
  • 2,332 posts

Posted March 03, 2015 - 10:19 PM

Wow that's ALMOST as nasty as the 4 speed peerless 2300 I took out of My old 68 Sears custom 10xl.That thing was to far gone to just clean up.It had roughly a gallon of water in it and all the gears were pitted.Needless to say it sounded really really rough and would not stay in Any gear.Detent ball and springs had completely rusted apart.The diff gears were even rusted together.

You know the darn thing even though it sounded like it was gona fly apart it still worked ok other than poping out of gear.I put a rear in it out of a

I'm going to be pulling the rear out of this 72 custom 10E and go over it when it warms up a bit.I have 2 6 speeds so I'm gona try welding the diff in one.

#11 KenM OFFLINE  

KenM

• Contributor
  • 50 Thanks
  • 131 posts

Posted March 03, 2015 - 10:59 PM

Wow that's ALMOST as nasty as the 4 speed peerless 2300 I took out of My old 68 Sears custom 10xl.That thing was to far gone to just clean up.It had roughly a gallon of water in it and all the gears were pitted.Needless to say it sounded really really rough and would not stay in Any gear.Detent ball and springs had completely rusted apart.The diff gears were even rusted together.

You know the darn thing even though it sounded like it was gona fly apart it still worked ok other than poping out of gear.I put a rear in it out of a

I'm going to be pulling the rear out of this 72 custom 10E and go over it when it warms up a bit.I have 2 6 speeds so I'm gona try welding the diff in one.

I haven't checked out the ball and springs yet. Hopefully they are still good. Overall the gears were all there and nothing broken. Some wear on a couple of the gears. But nothing critical that I could see.

Luckily this tractor hadn't been ran since last year to in the summertime. And it was left outside for a while by previous owner. So more than likely water got in then. As thick as the oil was, I think it protected everything from rusting. Only rust I seen was in the axle tubes. And that was very minor. I guess I'll know more when I open it back up to inspect it again.

#12 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 04, 2015 - 12:56 AM

Anyone know a good part number for the square o-ring for in between case and axle housing? It looks like a float bowl gasket would work.

http://gardentractor...ed-on-many-gts/

Here is a list I had put together for the Peerless 2300's

• KenM said thank you

#13 KenM OFFLINE  

KenM

• Contributor
  • 50 Thanks
  • 131 posts

Posted March 04, 2015 - 06:51 AM

http://gardentractor...ed-on-many-gts/

Here is a list I had put together for the Peerless 2300's

Ya I seen that post. That is where I got the bearing and seal number from. All I need is the square cut o-ring now. It looks to be the same size as the float bowl o-ring. But I have not verified that though.

Mine came off I one piece and still rubbery so I may just reuse them. Possibly squirt a little rtv around it for extra insurance.

#14 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted March 04, 2015 - 09:31 AM

Deere should have the square cut o-rings

that is where I get mine

do not forget to get the spring and balls for the shifter forks and the gasket for the case ( all form Deere)

#15 M.Cain OFFLINE  

M.Cain
  • Member No: 68107
  • 185 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted March 04, 2015 - 05:42 PM

Dang what a mess I know what you mean I am working on one now but it look about the same.