Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Has anyone ever thought about trading up?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted March 12, 2016 - 05:47 PM

John, thank you very much for sharing your real world experiences of using an ATV, I do not take any of this as downing whatsoever and appreciate the real world advice.  I see by your avatar your a wheel horse guy, The GT I use is a WH 16 auto with a 42 plow and a 42 tall chute blower.  It works fine as long as I have the right tool on the front for the depth of snow on the ground as I suspect an ATV would also similarly equipped, with the advantage of awd but the disadvantage of being less nimble.

This wasn't a thread intended to prove whether the ATV or GT is better than the other despite its title, but more so if an ATV could substitute as a GT, and in my case minimize the amount of equipment I have just sitting around most of the year to equipment that gets used all year round.  My current ATV platforms include an 02 Arctic Cat with a plow and a 14 Polaris Ace, with plans to add another Ace or new conventional ATV, the Ace has a seat, and a steering wheel along with a gas pedal and can easily be outfitted with a full cab and power steer if desired. 

#32 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 11:11 AM

I have an Arctic cat Prowler and the only complaint I have on that for pushing snow is waiting for the CVT to spool down to change from forward to reverse. A GT with a foot operated hydro is alot smoother, but with the extra horsepower, traction and wider blade, you will get the job done faster with an ATV or side by side.

I dont keep up on the new ATV stuff (mainly because I dont have the disposable income to buy one). I had to watch some videos on the Ace to see what it even was. It looks like a good machine for pushing snow.

• js5020 said thank you

#33 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 12:04 PM

you run out of areas to park the snow with a plow if you are in a area that gets considerable amounts of snow. For most a snowblower is the best option. Now if you really need a ATV you could mount blower unit,, that would get the other half on side

• Cvans and js5020 have said thanks

#34 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted September 28, 2016 - 11:04 AM

Well another snow season is approaching and I wont be mounting any plows to the tractors this year.  I found the atv to be more than adequate for the task.  The atv with AWD hands down has more tractive force than any of my GT's, allowing me to plow up slopes or get into unplowed snow with little concern of getting stuck and without any traction enhancements like weights or chains, I can only imagine an atv with chains and/or wheel weight would be near unstopable.  The atv is flat out faster at getting the job done, the GT is limited ground speed wise particularly in reverse where as the atv is not.  The atv does just as good a job as the GT as far as cleaning the surfaces and stacking snow when necessary. 

A few areas that I found the atv to be lacking when compared to the GT, The atv is slightly larger in size than the GT, and doesn't have the turn radius that the GT has, so if you do a lot of tight areas this is going to be a big negative, I don't have many tight areas to deal with so this is of no concern to me.  The plow unit I have is not as nice to use as the Wheelhorse unit and this is because I need to get off the atv to change the blade angle, whereas the WH unit has a control for angling the blade from the seat, this is a resolvable situation and I hope to get to this project before I need to use the setup this year.  I prefer the hyd lift of the GT over the winch cable lift of the atv, although the winch setup is adequate I find the hyd setup to be smoother, easier to control and more durable, I'm still on the fence as to whether I want/need to switch to hyd lift. I have accumulated most of the necessary components to add hyd lift and angle should I decide to go that route. 

I have also been accumulating things to build a snowblower to be prepared for the big dumpers we can get although this is not a project on the front burner.  The unit when built should be  50+ inch width to cover an atv track, be self powered with electric start and have lift, chute and deflector adjustments from the seat.  I pretty much want a cab to use with a blower so a few projects to post in the future.

All in all the atv's work out better than a GT for my uses, they are pretty versatile and can be adapted to many tasks if needed, and the entire family enjoys using them for work and play.

• Cat385B said thank you

#35 pick-to-stone ONLINE  

pick-to-stone

Living in the past

• Member No: 76550
  • 254 Thanks
  • 373 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 04:37 PM

Well it depends I'm thinking bigger and once my grand father retires I'm going to see if I can't get are 4840 JD or are 1086 international one of them would be nice and big enough for me
  • js5020 said thank you