Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Has anyone ever thought about trading up?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted March 06, 2015 - 03:37 PM

Thanks for everyone's replies.  A subCUT is not a consideration it's more coin than I want to "invest" for the amount of time it would get used.  Upgrading the old iron,,,,, well except for NLA parts and lack of traction at times the GT is an excellent platform with a K341 Kohler, HD hydro trans, hyd lift, and I already have blade and blower for it, the addition of a cab and IF I could resolve the lack of traction at times would likely be least cost option and would be sufficient to do the job as long as I don't break something that is NLA and I cant make.  I already have the ATV, bought it in the fall, but would need to "invest" the coin for snow equipment.  I thought the ATV would be a nice middle between a GT that isn't quite able at times and a subCUT that would be overkill all the time. I also have a Jeep CJ5 that I could transfer the blade off the compact tractor to for anything real nasty,,,,, I suppose more thinking is in order......

#17 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted March 06, 2015 - 03:53 PM

If you had a dedicated snow pusher gt, there are ways to improve the traction.. Dual rear tires, more weight, locked diff,etc. The paddle atv tires for sand bite good they just ride the crap. If you wanted to get more creative... add an extra drive axle like the 4x6 gators and then add tracks.

• js5020 said thank you

#18 richwoodrocket ONLINE  

richwoodrocket

16 year old JD lover

• Contributor
  • Member No: 57205
  • 147 Thanks
  • 177 posts

Posted March 06, 2015 - 08:01 PM

I've got a 2012 ariens platinum 24(2 stage, 250cc, ll.50 ft lb torque, 24 inch wide, 21 inch height) It's a beast for what I use it for. But hey, if it can clear 5 feet of snow, it's a keeper. A wider one would've been smarter, but it's really not a big deal. My snowblower is still the best one on the street though.

Edited by richwoodrocket, March 06, 2015 - 08:02 PM.

• js5020 said thank you

#19 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted March 10, 2016 - 02:21 PM

Well another snow season is about history and Ive reached a conclusion. The quads are going to replace the GT and CUT for snow removal and general hauling tasks.  The quads have more tractive force than the GT with their awd, the quads are plain faster at the task and this makes them a year round use machine.  The GT is only used for snow removal and hauling so it spends a lot of time just holding down the concrete in the shed and the CUT spends nearly all year in the shed. 

• MH81 said thank you

#20 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,501 Thanks
  • 3,386 posts

Posted March 10, 2016 - 04:18 PM

My Pow'rMax 4041 with loader and back blade, moves snow, gravel, clam shells etc... I can push trees/logs, haul trash, carry tools and ladders to where I'm working, disc, plow, lift and I rarely have to change implements. I'd like a side by side to play with, but I haven't found the need of anything else. Now if I get the bug for something, I'll sure as heck justify it though!

#21 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 771 Thanks
  • 511 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 08:19 AM

I use to move my snow with a 500cc 4x4 Artic Cat and have traded down so to say to a GT. Its so hard to maneuver a 4 wheeler compared to a gt. A plow is best at small amounts of snow, while a blower is better when there is more. So why have a plow on a big beast of a 4 wheeler that you can hardly maneuver in tight areas. 

lt110.jpg

example.....my 4 wheeler was completely useless with this snow  I would get a few feet get stuck have to back up and whack it ....back up and whack it again. 

20160118_114029.jpg

A plow is best for scraping or light cleaning. 

GT with a snow blower for large amounts of snow and a GT with a snow plow for scraping and cleaning is all I need.

I have also found that  the Sears Suburban with a solid mounted plow works way better then my 4 wheeler did with a moose county plow on it. I can actually break ice with this thing the sears plow is much stronger then the moose spring trip plow.

• js5020 and propane1 have said thanks

#22 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,294 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 12:28 PM

So, are you keeping one "toy" or are you switching all over to ATV's?
  • js5020 said thank you

#23 Diesel1050 ONLINE  

Diesel1050

Diesel Nut!

• Member No: 69580
  • 348 Thanks
  • 396 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 12:55 PM

ATV'S are WAY better for snow removal than GT's in my opinion. Quicker, less chance of getting stuck etc. GT'S are great for large amounts with a 2-stage though....That being said, I LOVE my GT's!

Edited by Diesel1050, March 11, 2016 - 05:15 PM.

• MH81 and js5020 have said thanks

#24 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 05:33 PM

So, are you keeping one "toy" or are you switching all over to ATV's?

I will be switching over to ATVs for snow removal and hauling, essentially everything but mowing the lawn.

• MH81 said thank you

#25 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,501 Thanks
  • 3,386 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 07:29 PM

Might as well mow with them, they run way faster than a Z- Turn! :)

Edited by toppop52, March 11, 2016 - 07:29 PM.

• js5020 said thank you

#26 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted March 12, 2016 - 08:45 AM

Might as well mow with them, they run way faster than a Z- Turn! :)

Well I can be a bit fussy about the lawn and IF the quads had a turf mode differential I likely would mow with one but none of mine have that sooo I'll leave the mowing to a machine purposed to that task.  Currently I could mow the back two acres as its not lawn and that area wouldn't bug me if I scuffed it up a bit on turns but not the lawn LoL. 

Not only am I looking to downsize the equipment but also the property hence even less need for equipment.  I'm tired of taking care of 4 acres and all the stuff needed to do so. 

#27 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted March 12, 2016 - 08:55 AM

I use to move my snow with a 500cc 4x4 Artic Cat and have traded down so to say to a GT. Its so hard to maneuver a 4 wheeler compared to a gt. A plow is best at small amounts of snow, while a blower is better when there is more. So why have a plow on a big beast of a 4 wheeler that you can hardly maneuver in tight areas. 

attachicon.giflt110.jpg

example.....my 4 wheeler was completely useless with this snow  I would get a few feet get stuck have to back up and whack it ....back up and whack it again. 

attachicon.gif20160118_114029.jpg

A plow is best for scraping or light cleaning. 

GT with a snow blower for large amounts of snow and a GT with a snow plow for scraping and cleaning is all I need.

I have also found that  the Sears Suburban with a solid mounted plow works way better then my 4 wheeler did with a moose county plow on it. I can actually break ice with this thing the sears plow is much stronger then the moose spring trip plow.

One of the quads here is an older AC 300 4x4, has 250 miles on it.  It has a 3 range 5F/1R transmission that's 15 forward speeds to choose from, I'm sure one of them would work well with a blower hooked to the front of that quad. 

#28 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,501 Thanks
  • 3,386 posts

Posted March 12, 2016 - 09:22 AM

I think you should do what suits you, that's sure what I do! :thumbs: :D

• js5020 said thank you

#29 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 771 Thanks
  • 511 posts

Posted March 12, 2016 - 09:48 AM

I am sure a snow blower on the atv would be so much better then a plow. 

I am not trying to down an atv by no means, just want to share what I did not like about it and also offer some advice. 

First issue was a thumb throttle, this makes cleaning snow a real chore, I had heated grips but does not matter spend any amount of time in cold weather pushing that thing with your thumb and its going to go numb, yeah you can shake it off, but its sure not pleasurable...and the name of the game for me is to make it as enjoyable as possible.

Second issue was the suspension ....once you put that plow on it is going to drop down in the front, using it like this will work but you will find a loss of traction at the rear wheels  and heavy steering. I took out the front shocks and springs and put a solid mount in there it helped a lot. kept me from nose diving when i plowed.

third was turning radius , a 4 wheeler turns like a grey hound bus compared to a garden tractor.

Forth with a plow you will find yourself getting desperate with a long push as your losing momentum you will gas it more , as you gas it more and pick up speed your plow will start to lift up. once this starts happening you start climbing on top of snow the plow is missing. at this point you can back down back up and start again or just keep pushing. This is how you get it stuck....let me tell you will spin a front and rear wheel....there is not a chance you going to dig two wheels to the ground your spinning a left and a right front and rear. You can shake wobble and a lot of times rock it free. but when you don't you have to hop of and push while giving it gas (very dangerous) or ask for help. let me tell you when you have a 500cc artic cat stuck in the snow and your thumb is throbbing, your arms are tied and your panting from shaking around on this darn thing feeling like a fool watching your neighbor blow with his tractor, you may be like me and rethink that thought. 

Since switching from an atv to a garden tractor, I am now thinking of where I can put my coffee so I can stay out  a little longer.

Up here in Maine we get very large snow falls and unless you have a big enough plow actually push lots of snow  a plow is best used for scraping. Anytime we had 3-4 inches the 4 wheeler was super fast at cleaning ....Id put her in 2nd hi and throw snow like the guys with road plows do. but there has been times so much snow was on the ground I did not make it 5 feet out of the garage. 

This is not me ....but been though it all fun to watch ....enjoy 

• js5020 said thank you

#30 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 771 Thanks
  • 511 posts

Posted March 12, 2016 - 09:56 AM

garden tractor 

• js5020 and MGP59DB have said thanks