A few years back my daughter and her husbands barn burned to the ground and they replaced it with a 48' X 64' pole barn style barn.
At about 12:15 AM this morning she was again awakened by a young man beating on her front door saying the barn was on fire. He helped her tear down the fence and get four of the adult sheep out but they were burned badly by the fire. The rest of the livestock including four adult sheep, six four month old lambs, two young lambs, two adult pigmy goats, three five month old pigmy goats, two rabbits, 17 laying chickens and two laying ducks perished in the fire. Two adult male pigmy goats in the smaller barn also survived as did the smaller barn. Luckily we had hauled two hogs to the butcher last Thursday for processing. Two barn cats are still missing.
The barn was fully engulfed when my daughter called 911 and the fire departments arrived in time to save the slab. The probable cause of the fire was a heat lamp being used to keep a three week old orphaned lamb warm. My 11 year old granddaughter says she lowered the lamp last evening to keep the lamb warmer. She named the lamb Wilma after my Mom who died January 30th, 2015.
The daughter and SIL are still undecided on where to go from here.