• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jpd112294 OFFLINE  

jpd112294
  • Member No: 68075
  • 3 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted March 03, 2015 - 11:12 AM

hello folks. ive recently bought a sears st16 with a johnson workhorse 10 loader. the tractor runs great, and the loader works. but it doesnt drive. there seems to be an internal issue that sometimes causes the drive pulley and the shaft to seize. the rear wheels turn. it goes into all gears in both ranges just fine with the engine off. the wheels spin, if you spin one forward the other turns backwards. does anyone have any idea what could be going on in the transmission. i was in the process of dropping the rear from the tractor when i realized the loader frame gets in the way of 2 bolts so i put that on hold for a few hours.

• MH81 said thank you

#2 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted March 03, 2015 - 01:52 PM

:welcometogttalk:  Welcome JPD. Is this a new problem or one you bought? Tractor sit outside?

I am not familiar with the inner workings of this transmission, but have been told they are practically bullet proof. I believe it is the same one as in my ST/10. That being said, I seem to remember they are known to get water inside and in winter it will freeze causing the trans to lock up. Try to warm up the machine and maybe change the fluid. Just a thought, I'm sure someone will be along to give you more information.

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted March 03, 2015 - 02:13 PM

:wave:  Welcome to the forum! Folks will be along that know these tractors pretty good.

#4 jpd112294 OFFLINE  

jpd112294
  • 3 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted March 03, 2015 - 02:45 PM

i bought this big cluster of a project. previous owner told me all it needed was the drive pulley welded on. seems to be alot more to it the further i dig. i figured it would be a nice machine to hold me over until my other loader project is done. i thought about the possibility of ice. i figured if it came down to that id drain the oil, which looks really new and clean, and put 5 quarts of a frost-kill, kero and seafoam mix into the trans and let it sit for a day. im just stumped for once.

#5 jpd112294 OFFLINE  

jpd112294
  • 3 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted March 04, 2015 - 06:29 PM

update, ive decided just to sell it as is with the loader, will most likely be on ebay soon if it doesnt sell locally.

#6 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted March 05, 2015 - 08:39 AM

Sorry to hear you are giving up on it.

The wheels turning in opposite directions on a jack is normal.

Does it only "seize" when it's running and driving? Do it all the time or just occassionally?

Have you check out the brake linkages to make sure they are not rusted? Could be when you are depressing clutch, the brakes are freezing closed and not releasing all the time.

#7 craftsmanmowerfreak OFFLINE  

craftsmanmowerfreak
  • Member No: 16215
  • 258 Thanks
  • 222 posts

Posted March 05, 2015 - 08:48 AM

tahoe hit nail on head i was going to suggest that other day but didnt.

Edited by craftsmanmowerfreak, March 05, 2015 - 08:48 AM.

#8 jpd112294 OFFLINE  

jpd112294
  • 3 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted March 05, 2015 - 08:27 PM

nope the brake linkages seem to be fine. and due to the nature of the loader sub frame is need to remove the whole loader assembly and sub frames to drop the rear.

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted March 05, 2015 - 10:02 PM

Sorry to hear its leaving you, but if you do post it online, please put an ad in our classifieds with a link to the auction. Might get you another bidder.