27 replies to this topic

#16 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted March 03, 2015 - 01:44 AM

I guess I can see both sides of this. The one where you spend a good chunk of money to get the right thing for the job, and the other of spending a good chunk out time and building with what you have. For example my JD 318 sure I could have spent a few hundred dollars and bought a more correct replacement engine but I used what I had available it just took more effort and time
  • Team_Green said thank you

#17 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted March 03, 2015 - 01:48 AM

The way I look at if the Wright brothers would of listened, where would we be at now.I learned from my father when he was alive is that you CAN do anything if you put your mind to it.It might not be the cheapest way,and it might take more than one attempt but for some folk's being able to say that they built it is priceless. I say screw it,do your home work and go for it
  • Team_Green, oldedeeres and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#18 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted March 03, 2015 - 03:35 AM

Seems I saw my Name on this post!  I will keep my opinions to myself, but thought that was what you wanted. I like being the Negative side alot, seems to keep the reality in it. Sorry to get on yours and others nerves with my opinions. I'll keep quiet when no positive statement can be produced by ME!  Sometimes I need to be reined in, as noted from past. You guy's keep me in line (sort of). 

• olcowhand, KennyP, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#19 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 03, 2015 - 06:04 AM

Willie, there are at least 2 good reasons some may dissuade people for such projects. One is because they don't want to see someone get hurt, then they may be afraid of liability if they do get hurt.
I say go for it, but take your time and build it strong!
  • KennyP, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#20 grattone OFFLINE  

grattone
  • Member No: 66237
  • 222 Thanks
  • 167 posts

Posted March 03, 2015 - 06:23 AM

Willie, I serviced a lot of complicated equipment for 40 years, people would look at it and say " how did some one build all that" my response was that "they knew what them wanted in the end, and build it one piece at a time". Its your vision,be safe, start on the next piece today if you ever intend to get it done. God bless your effort.

• Team_Green and oldedeeres have said thanks

#21 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,624 posts

Posted March 03, 2015 - 06:30 AM

I read your post about the lifting equipment , I think  what your getting and taking as offensive  is what members have experienced and didn't want to see you  waste time & money .  I did like how you put a list of things it needed to do in it but maybe if it was at the very first post you might have gotten some different replies .

Edited by Alc, March 03, 2015 - 06:31 AM.

• Bruce Dorsi said thank you

#22 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted March 03, 2015 - 08:03 PM

Sometimes I need to be reined in, as noted from past. You guy's keep me in line (sort of). 

Grumpy, I think that is one of the classiest things I have seen on the internet. Most people get mad and lash out and say things that are better left unsaid. This is just another great example of the good people we have here at GTT.

:thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs: 

• Team_Green and LilysDad have said thanks

#23 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted March 03, 2015 - 08:26 PM

I always worry about someone's safety when building something. Proper engineering and safety are vital to something you will be picking heavy objects up with.

I tend to stay out of those posts because my advice would be find something used that's factory built. Some company spent lots of money engineering their product to be safe.
  • Alc said thank you

#24 Leonard VanCamp ONLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 235 Thanks
  • 196 posts

Posted March 03, 2015 - 09:04 PM

You can look at manuals and blueprints all day long, but until somebody goes out builds something its all hypothetical. You look at every advancement humanity came up with and I'd be willing to bet that for every person who said that it was a good idea ten said it wasn't. The only surefire way to learn something is to just do it. Yes, safety is a primary concern, which is why you test and overbuild. When they detonated the first atomic bomb they weren't completely sure of what kind of reaction they would cause, but they did it anyway. Everything in life has risk, you just have to take in account ALL the outcomes.

• Bmerf and Team_Green have said thanks

#25 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted March 03, 2015 - 10:44 PM

I agree with Willie, There is no way I can afford used machinery, a skidsteer or track loader/hoe would be really nice to have. The only time I buy another loader is when I come across something for a really good price, like my Mobility big dipper for $700.... I'm always building attachments, 3pt's and one of my next projects is a mini 4x4 articulating loader built out of a trencher.

• UncleWillie said thank you

#26 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,499 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted March 04, 2015 - 12:48 AM

I'm someone who gets a lot of pleasure out of designing and building things. I also love to see what others are building and have tried to encourage those with the same nature. I will speak up if I see something that could be a safety issue. I really hope that you will keep us updated if you decide to go with this project. And if people want to make suggestions that go against your thinking your not obligated to do it their way. If you make a mistake, so what. Above all be safe and have fun!

• propane1 said thank you

#27 AfterShock95 OFFLINE  

AfterShock95
  • Member No: 63122
  • 420 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted March 04, 2015 - 09:51 AM

Don't let. Anyone talk you out of building anything
  • bgkid2966 said thank you

#28 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted March 04, 2015 - 11:42 AM

By all means go for it build,build build.I just jump in with both feet and do what I want. It's mine, it's my time if I want to try and save a big pile of $$ then thats good for me.I do tend to over build but thats just the way I 'am. Nowadays when I look at some of the newer stuff I sort of shake my head and think to myself that some of this stuff is built just to fail. If its built to good then its not good for anyone selling parts /repair etc: Of course keep it simple [yeah not me] make it safe have fun while designing your projects. I just hate it when some one tells me that you can't do that. In my books I can do, build/modify what ever I want. It's been bought/salvaged etc; so its mine to do with what I want. With having said that I also use common sense to make sure that what I do isn't going to comprimize safety.

• UncleWillie and propane1 have said thanks