UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted March 02, 2015 - 05:54 PM

I love this site. It is the one of two sites that I pay to be a member of - the other site I make a lot of money buying and selling on. The members here are mostly great. However, there is one thing I have noticed that drive my bonkers.

Anytime someone post a "I want to build a tractor" thread (there have been several in the last year or so) there is a dog pile of posts stating that they shouldn't, instead of posts encouraging them to do it. I don't understand that.

I recently posted a question about hydraulics. Most of the answers I got were to buy a front end loader or Skid steer. Somehow wanting to build a tractor or a similar mechanism is met with the same response I would expect if I was asking how to build a nuclear device. Namely "you will hurt yourself".

I just don't understand the negativity directed towards someone wanting to creativity solve a problem rather than throw money at it.

I am sure that a lot of others are in the same boat I am. I don't have 10 grand to drop on a used skid steer. I live on a partial disability (thanks to a 96 year old man who was still driving) and whatever I can make with scrap metal. What I do have is a lot of metal and parts that I could build something useful out of.

SO please, If someone asks about building something, give them advice. Just because you would go buy something doesn't mean we all can. If you can't offer advice wish them good luck and wait and see if they succeed.

Think of it like someone saying they want to build a house. Don't tell them they should just buy one because the roof will fall in if they try. Offer them advice on how to keep the roof up.

Anyhow.  I love this site.

• NUTNDUN, rustyoldjunk, daytime dave and 39 others have said thanks

#2 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted March 02, 2015 - 06:10 PM

I think the response to the loader could be from experience. Trying to build something like that from junkyard parts could be very time consuming and you could get burned out on it before you get 50% completed. Buying new parts for the hydraulics can get expensive. I sold off a bunch of 50 -80% done homemade junkyard projects that I have been working on for up to 10 years and I was glad to get rid of them. I took the money and bought a side by side that I dont have to work on.
Dont take it like it cant be done or that you cant do it, just that most people wont attempt projects like that
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#3 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted March 02, 2015 - 06:18 PM

Willie, if you have all the needed components, go for it. I only suggested elec winches as a cheaper alternative to hydraulics. As for people saying "go buy it", there's plenty in this world who are good at spending other peoples money.
Mike
  • rustyoldjunk, tinbender7, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#4 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,807 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted March 02, 2015 - 06:33 PM

I never buy anything if I can avoid it, anyone willing to jump feet first into a project that is over their head is ok with me !!!! :thumbs: the best way to learn is the hard way .

Pete 

• rustyoldjunk, tinbender7, UncleWillie and 2 others have said thanks

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,751 Thanks
  • 7,523 posts

Posted March 02, 2015 - 06:36 PM

If someone can easily be talked out of something, chances are they shouldn't be doing it anyway. We are on your side, just want you to think long and hard before commiting to anything.

As an engineer, mechanic, machinist, welder, and owner of alot of equipment, I learned a long time ago that building from scratch takes alot more time than planned. The geometry of lifting equipment can be tricky and can lead to catastropic failures. The frame has to be stronger than the hydraulics.

You can build anything you want but will it do what you want safely? You can try what you want but if you want simple, cheap and safe try a boom off of and old truck. I like the style of the WWII bomb carriers. Good Luck, Rick

• Bolens 1000 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#6 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted March 02, 2015 - 06:58 PM

Uncle Willie, I am on your side. I don't like to spend money if I can build it. I fail as much as I succeed on builds and will keep trying to prepare better for each project.

Geno

• rustyoldjunk, tinbender7, shorty and 3 others have said thanks

#7 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,836 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted March 02, 2015 - 07:07 PM

You're right about that. I like to watch a show called "The Science of Stupid". Lots of great, or not so great, ideas, that require an understanding of basic physics

If someone can easily be talked out of something, chances are they shouldn't be doing it anyway. We are on your side, just want you to think long and hard before commiting to anything.

As an engineer, mechanic, machinist, welder, and owner of alot of equipment, I learned a long time ago that building from scratch takes alot more time than planned. The geometry of lifting equipment can be tricky and can lead to catastropic failures. The frame has to be stronger than the hydraulics.

You can build anything you want but will it do what you want safely? You can try what you want but if you want simple, cheap and safe try a boom off of and old truck. I like the style of the WWII bomb carriers. Good Luck, Rick

You're right about that. I like to watch a show called "The Science of Stupid". Lots of great, or not so great, ideas of things to build etc. that require an understanding of basic physics for them to work. You would be horrified at some of the things people will try to do/build etc. I know this is not the case with you, but some people don't seem to think about cause and effect. 

• boyscout862 said thank you

#8 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,781 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted March 02, 2015 - 07:14 PM

Years ago 2 friend and myself built a log splitter.

This was in 1978 and I don't recall seeing very many around at that time.

We tried to build it inexpensive, but that just about got us screwed a couple of times.

After the steel work was complete, we had to buy NEW engine, NEW pump, NEW cylinder, NEW control valve and of course new hoses.

In the end, I was very glad we purchased new items, as we had a very nice, powerful piece of equipment, and had about $150 apiece ($450 total) in this splitter.

The splitter still works and is used often, but the B&S 5hp engine was replaced with a Honda several years ago.

• tinbender7, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,249 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted March 02, 2015 - 07:26 PM

I would hope that any advice is given in the most helpful way with the goal of safety and success a priority.
  • tinbender7, oldedeeres and Bill 76 have said thanks

#10 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 02, 2015 - 07:44 PM

I cant even finish the projects that i have all the parts for. If it can be built i overbuild it, and believe you do the same. Some underbuild and that is what gets people hurt.

I encourage every misguided project, in fact, I house a lot of those projects in my shop.

He who has mechanical skills, will build the world; he who has no skills will tear the world down ... Once he collects his monthly government check ...
  • rustyoldjunk, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#11 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,104 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted March 02, 2015 - 09:28 PM

Good point Willie. I make stuff. I am not trained in any thing, but like to make things. My son and I just made an impeller for my lgt 165 ford blower and just started using it this week. If you don't do it you won't learn. My father always fixed it, made it, got second hand before he bought anything new.
Now my post may not be the correct answer, but I had to say something. Took me awhile to figure out what to say. Noel.
  • Bill 76 said thank you

#12 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,941 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted March 02, 2015 - 10:36 PM

No one tried to talk me out of building my shop from scratch, but they should have yelled at me louder before I tried the concrete. :wallbanging:

• Alc, KennyP, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#13 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted March 02, 2015 - 10:50 PM

Somewhere, sometime, someone had to build the first one. They made mistakes, they learned, they did not have google or great forums like GTT. Keep safety in mind and build away. One reason I like GTs is that I cant afford a new $10K plus tractor so these little beasties have to do the jobs instead. I cant afford to buy the implements that I want so I have to make stuff work. That is one spirit of this forum that makes me log on and look around everyday.

• KennyP, oldedeeres, Bill 76 and 1 other said thanks

#14 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted March 02, 2015 - 10:53 PM

No one tried to talk me out of building my shop from scratch, but they should have yelled at me louder before I tried the concrete. :wallbanging:

I could have saved a bunch of money by building mine.... and still working on it 11years later. It was done in 3weeks and I still had time to put in 60 hrs a week at work to pay for it

#15 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted March 02, 2015 - 11:54 PM

When I built the swinging boom for my 5'x8' tlr mainly for loading and unloading the 650 lb welder I was picking it for the first time. Just as the welder cleared the ground I heard a little pop sound and set the welder down. The 3/8" hinge bolt on the base of the boom had sheared on one side, so back to the shop to redrill and sleeve it for a 1/2" bolt. I was mighty glad both sides didn't shear!!
Mike
  • Alc and oldedeeres have said thanks