15 replies to this topic

#1 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted March 11, 2011 - 05:59 AM

Prayers and good wishes go out to people of Japan because of terrible earthquake, and to all Pacific coastlines because of Tsunami danger. I simply cannot imagine what an 8.9 quake would be like.

George

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 11, 2011 - 06:51 AM

Same here.

#3 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted March 11, 2011 - 07:02 AM

I just saw some video of the damage from the wave of the Tsunami. It is unreal how much water, cars and buildings are getting washed away. Prayers sent out to them.

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 11, 2011 - 07:26 AM

Prayers and good wishes go out to people of Japan because of terrible earthquake, and to all Pacific coastlines because of Tsunami danger. I simply cannot imagine what an 8.9 quake would be like.

George

:ditto:

I couldn't even begin to imagine what an 8.9 quake would be like. I don't want to know what it would be like either.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,325 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted March 11, 2011 - 07:57 AM

Best wishes to all the people affected. Tsunami warnings are now active for Hawaii also.

#6 thecoater OFFLINE  

thecoater

Tractorholic

• Member No: 757
  • 13 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted March 11, 2011 - 08:51 AM

I was watching a show on how the rictor scale is rated -an 8.0 is 2x as powerful as 7.0, so for an 8.9 to be there in person must seem like the end of the world
  • tractorgarden said thank you

#7 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted March 11, 2011 - 09:12 AM

My prayers are with the people of Japan in this horrific natural disaster.

#8 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 11, 2011 - 09:12 AM

We have friends in coastal Northern California and they are also under a tsunami warning. There are two power stations there that are under a state of nuclear emergency as they have lost their cooling water systems. I also heard that the 8.9 quake is the largest in recorded history! My thoughts and prayers go out to all who are and may yet be affected by this tragedy!

#9 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1918
  • 153 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted March 11, 2011 - 09:22 AM

Woke up this Morning and watched the news in shock about the Quake........OMG.....
What a Eye Opener...Came away feeling Really Stupid complaining all week about My Muddy Driveway
.... Reality Bites....

#10 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted March 11, 2011 - 10:03 AM

We have friends in coastal Northern California and they are also under a tsunami warning. There are two power stations there that are under a state of nuclear emergency as they have lost their cooling water systems. I also heard that the 8.9 quake is the largest in recorded history! My thoughts and prayers go out to all who are and may yet be affected by this tragedy!

Didn't the quake that hit Chili was in the 9.2 magnitude?

Anyways, I lived fairly close to the New Madrid Fault. The last time(s) it hit, late 1811 and early 1812 (about 4 or 5 quakes), the magnitude was estimated to be around 7.0 to 7.3 for each one - and those quakes created a lake in Tennessee, change the course of the Mississippi River, ran church bells in Boston, was felt in Toronto and Montreal, etc. As mentioned a 8.9 is probably about 2x or more than a 8.0. My prayers and thoughts go out to all those effected, including the impact on the lives of those effected by the Tsunami.

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted March 11, 2011 - 11:50 AM

Didn't the quake that hit Chili was in the 9.2 magnitude?

Anyways, I lived fairly close to the New Madrid Fault. The last time(s) it hit, late 1811 and early 1812 (about 4 or 5 quakes), the magnitude was estimated to be around 7.0 to 7.3 for each one - and those quakes created a lake in Tennessee, change the course of the Mississippi River, ran church bells in Boston, was felt in Toronto and Montreal, etc. As mentioned a 8.9 is probably about 2x or more than a 8.0. My prayers and thoughts go out to all those effected, including the impact on the lives of those effected by the Tsunami.

Yep, that Madrid quake created "Reelfoot Lake", named after the Indian tribes who used to live there. I rode my motorcycle to Reelfoot a couple years back. Pretty large (not huge) body of water, caused by the land virtually just sinking from the quake.

Bald_Cyprus_Trees_Reelfoot_Lake_Tennessee.jpg

Pretty alarming to say the least about all the seismic activity lately all around the world. Earthquakes have the power to devastate everything in their way for sure. Prayers for all affected or yet to be.

#12 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 11, 2011 - 12:25 PM

Prayers to all those affected by this tragedy !!

They say that if Madrid Fault ever does it's thing again big, 8.0 o bigger, it has a chance to split our country right up the middle from the Gulf to Canada. Making us have, the USA, have 2 bodies of land as our country.

#13 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 11, 2011 - 04:49 PM

Didn't the quake that hit Chili was in the 9.2 magnitude?...

According to Wikipedia it was an 8.8. I got the original information this morning from MSNBC. I could very well be wrong and I'm sorry if I've relayed false information.

#14 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted March 11, 2011 - 06:02 PM

I would think that anything above a 7, a man would be too busy gettin right with the Creator to worry about a couple of points.

On the news now, two reports, one said reactor did not pose any health hazard, the other said that the techs had lost control of the pressure in the reactor vessel, pressure is 1.5 times what it should be, and temp is still rising. They are evacuating ten kilometers out. Radiation level is 1000 times normal.

#15 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1407
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted March 15, 2011 - 03:03 AM

I don't wanna imagine what a magnitude anything is like!
What I've seen is the problems at the reactor is reliable power to keep the pumps running, and so far no real radiation problem.
I also seen that data from all the sensors put in place after the quake in the early 90's plus satilite data showed the landmass moved 16' east and 2' down!!!
I ain't looking nothing up, but I think probably the third largest recorded, there was a mighty big one in alaska many years ago that is #1.
That being said, a little one near population and infrastructure centers is just horror unknown............