• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 971 Thanks
  • 586 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 10:00 PM

I found a Big 10 for sale. I haven't seen it in person, but it doesn't look bad in the pics. Has a deck and the hitch. The deck looks rough. The discharge looks like it's rotted out. Supposed to run but you know how that goes. Asking price is 350. I think that's much too high. I'm thinking 200 or less.

Thoughts? Opinions? What to look for?
  • Texas Deere and Horse, classic and petrj6 have said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 10:15 PM

JB, If I remember corretly, the BIG 10 was a one year only model that SIM-A/C sold because it was the first year for the 10hp Briggs instead of the 9hp sold on prior years. The next year A/C introduced the B-110. If it runs and isn't beat all up, I would think it would be worth the 2 to 300 mark as your thinking. Extra thingd like a tiller rear PTO or high/low pulley set up will bring more money. Does if have wheel weights or hub caps? Hows the grill and does it have the factory head lights? Just a few things that I can think of. I would check the 90 degree, (BGB) gearbox under the seat and see if it has slope in it.  

• boyscout862, classic and JBRamsey have said thanks

#3 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,449 Thanks
  • 1,601 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 10:23 PM

How much white paint is worn off of the steering wheel? From what I've experienced, the more paint on the steering wheel, the better the condition mechanically. I'm sure it's not true in all cases, but it's something to keep in mind. The Big Ten was made only in 1965.

Edited by classic, February 28, 2015 - 10:23 PM.

• Texas Deere and Horse and JBRamsey have said thanks

#4 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • 971 Thanks
  • 586 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 10:26 PM

Here's a pic. Not horrible. Not greatimage.jpg
  • Texas Deere and Horse and classic have said thanks

#5 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • 971 Thanks
  • 586 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 10:27 PM

image.jpg
  • Texas Deere and Horse and classic have said thanks

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 10:55 PM

I see a sleeve hitch on the back, that's a good thing if you want to use any Brinly attachments. The grill looks to be in good shape also along with the tin. Not bad looking.

• boyscout862, classic and JBRamsey have said thanks

#7 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • 3,449 Thanks
  • 1,601 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 11:00 PM

It looks pretty complete, but the arm rest bars and pads are missing. It's going to boil down to how much wear is on everything and if the engine needs a rebuild or not. I ended up buying three Big Tens in similar condition to put together the one I currently use. It took some effort and I had to buy some new parts, but it was worth it. Sometimes it's better to spend a little more for a much better condition tractor.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20141126_150133-1.jpg

• JBRamsey and Simpleton have said thanks

#8 Killer_A-C OFFLINE  

Killer_A-C
  • Member No: 51839
  • 367 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 11:07 PM

I have a nice deck cheap if you buy it....

#9 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,756 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted March 01, 2015 - 01:04 AM

I have several of those tractors and they are great tractors. A guy on youtube(Zippo Varga) does a good series on evaluating the condition of these AC/Simps. Take the time to watch all of them. Good Luck, Rick

• classic said thank you

#10 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,807 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted March 01, 2015 - 07:17 AM

Looks to be a nice complete unit, missing the one side cover on the lift lever side, what about the other side.  no light bar.  If it runs ok and air doesn't pour out of the tires then I would say you are safe to spend the $300.  these are great machines and fairly easy to find parts for, as stated the big ten is a bit more rare as it goes but they are basically the same as the rest of the b series machines and even allot of simplicity stuff will fit.  you can get lots of your missing parts a reproductions and what you cant can be found used.

A real easy way to check how the driveline is would be to put it in gear and rock it foreward and backward to see and hear the driveline moving against the engine, it is makes lots of noises and moves allot you will have some work ahead of you.   What is going on with the deck ?  something looks amis there, I don't see the belt covers and foot rest bars.  you said the discharg is rotted, what about the rest of the deck ?  sometimes the attachments are harder to find and can be more expensive than the machines.  if the deck is rotted out you may want to try and get it a little cheaper.

Pete

• classic said thank you

#11 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted March 01, 2015 - 09:24 AM

I would agree....if it runs well, $300 is fair, especially if the ACs are uncommon near you.  I wouldn't give any more.  The tractor has been repainted, and the rear lift/drawbar is standard equipment.  The sleeve hitch is not OEM...looks fabbed or modded from another brand, but will work just as well.

• Texas Deere and Horse, classic and petrj6 have said thanks

#12 Simpleton OFFLINE  

Simpleton
  • Member No: 67116
  • 108 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted March 03, 2015 - 09:55 PM

It looks pretty complete, but the arm rest bars and pads are missing. It's going to boil down to how much wear is on everything and if the engine needs a rebuild or not. I ended up buying three Big Tens in similar condition to put together the one I currently use. It took some effort and I had to buy some new parts, but it was worth it. Sometimes it's better to spend a little more for a much better condition tractor.

Classic, that is one very nice tractor!!

• classic said thank you

#13 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • 3,449 Thanks
  • 1,601 posts

Posted March 03, 2015 - 10:27 PM

Here are three Big Tens that I picked up for between 250.00 and 450.00. The one with the tightest drivetrain and best running engine is the one without the hood and has the Sears plow on it. I currently use one Big Ten, and I'm completely restoring another. You won't be disappointed if you buy the tractor and spend some time fixing it up.

Attached Thumbnails

• post-52970-0-41259000-1401593312.jpg
  • post-52970-0-07849900-1405277841.jpg
  • post-52970-0-85011100-1403041153.jpg

• boyscout862 and Simpleton have said thanks