8 replies to this topic

#1 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 893 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 07:31 PM

Before I spend a ton of time researching this has anyone ever replaced their two piece drive shaft p/n1758196? Mine is worn out on both universals requiring a complete replacement. I was going to scrap the tractor and put that 600 hour Vanguard V twin into a tube frame tractor. I'm thinking if I can fix it relatively cheap I will do that instead. The tractor is like new other than this drive shaft any ideas? Thank you once again for your help.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1758196.jpg

• blackjackjakexxix, tinbender7 and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 07:54 PM

Think I saw one like that on epay not long ago, might look there?  Maybe some sellers here have new joints if replaceable? OR, the shaft or used one. You don't show where you live, but how about a pix of tractor, maybe you should just sell it?

• Husky and tinbender7 have said thanks

#3 ClassicBolens OFFLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Member No: 48806
  • 962 Thanks
  • 380 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 09:01 PM

A new driveshaft can be built relatively inexpensively with off the shelf yokes and u joints. The hydro end yoke will need machined to accommodate the hydro fan. There are many automotive drive line and clutch shops that can and will custom build any drive shaft.
  • Bolens 1000, Husky, blackjackjakexxix and 3 others have said thanks

#4 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 09:15 PM

I have zero knowledge on these but a buddy of mine used a steering shaft from a heavy truck to build a driveshaft for one of his John Deere's. He cut it down for the right length. Find a heavy truck junkyard(highway tractor size). The shafts go from the steering gear to the steering column. I can pull a picture off my laptop later if you are interested.
  • Husky, tinbender7 and sodisr have said thanks

#5 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 09:23 PM

Here's a pic. This thing is about five feet long end to end.image.jpg
  • tinbender7 said thank you

#6 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • 923 Thanks
  • 893 posts

Posted March 01, 2015 - 07:57 AM

Hi guys thanks for the ideas. I can work with what you have told me. I need to get it out of the shed in the Spring and pull the drive shaft out and go from there. 

• blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#7 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • 923 Thanks
  • 893 posts

Posted March 01, 2015 - 08:36 AM

Think I saw one like that on epay not long ago, might look there?  Maybe some sellers here have new joints if replaceable? OR, the shaft or used one. You don't show where you live, but how about a pix of tractor, maybe you should just sell it?

Hi, I'm in NH, That tractor is actually a beautiful machine. It was nice when I bought it but I put a lot of time into it to bring it up to where I wanted it to be. It's just not set up the way I like it for the blower. I'd like to build up a nice tube frame using that motor but feel a little guilty making that tractor a donor. If I can fix it within reason I may do so.  This post shows some pictures of it from when I restored it.

http://gardentractor...wins/?hl=+1669l

• blackjackjakexxix and KennyP have said thanks

#8 bolensandmercury OFFLINE  

bolensandmercury
  • Member No: 73106
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted July 13, 2015 - 07:59 PM

Yes, replaced the driveshaft TWO times. The original, one Bolens replacement and one custom made shaft from a driveshaft builder about 8-9 yrs ago. Still okay, but it is a much larger diameter and is heavier than original. I was worried that the additional weight would cause problems . So far, so good. However, I only use this machine (1991 model) to cut grass. It has about 800 hrs on it now. It does look as clean as your  buffed out unit. The smallest available automotive joints from  NEAPCO were used . I have recently tried to get info from a 4-wheeler u-joint manufacturer, but they never answered me. It  still needs to be a  two piece unit as you have to slide it rearward . Otherwise you would have to remove the entire battery/steering/assemblies/support areas. The rear end of the shaft does have to be machined to specs to fit the hydro stub shaft. It cost me about $300 at the time. The shield that sits above the front joint had to be raised  with a spacer I machined (3/4" high X 1" diameter) and longer bolts.

Another sore point I have found is the PTO coil. The second replacement was installed last year after "babying" it for several years. ie: Once the deck was engaged COLD, it stayed engaged until ALL cutting was done. If I had shut it down, it would not  re-engage hot.

#9 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • 923 Thanks
  • 893 posts

Posted July 14, 2015 - 06:32 AM

Mine came out great.  I used 1000 series ujoints. I had one of the ends machined to fit on the engine stub shaft and another one machined to accept the hydro fan. This works well, is a lot heavier duty than the original cheap greaseless bolens one. I keep this one greased and expect it to last as long as I own the tractor. It is about the size and quality of the old tube frame pto universals. Here are some pictures.

DSC09704.JPG

DSC09707.JPG

DSC09708.JPG

DSC09732.JPG

DSC09733.JPG

DSC09734.JPG

DSC09735.JPG

DSC09736.JPG

DSC09737.JPG

DSC09753.JPG

DSC09755.JPG

Edited by Husky, July 15, 2015 - 11:52 AM.

• LPBolens said thank you