41 replies to this topic

#31 wilberj OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,125 Thanks
  • 5,157 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 06:04 PM

Interesting info on the history of the Bolens distribution network. Thanks everyone for sharing. Reading this brought back memories of when I was younger and worked as a mechanic for a former Bolens dealership in southeast PA. This was from 2000-2006 so it was long after they stopped dealing in Bolens products, however they still had a good stock of parts. One summer I was tasked with helping to move all of the Bolens parts from one storage area to another, which having an interest in vintage tractors was enjoyable for me to see all the NOS and used parts for the older machines. They also had (and may still) a good stock of Bolens ISEKI parts. They were a really nice and knowledgeable group of people to work for. The owner worked previously for an IH dealer and was happy to share some knowledge when it came to my Cub Cadet restoration projects. Even though I have interest in Cub Cadets I've always had respect for the engineering that went into the Bolens tractors, especially the tube frame machines. There where several old tube frame machines "out back in the weeds" at the dealer and if I had to go out there for something I would find myself looking them over.

Is that dealer still around? 

#32 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,445 Thanks
  • 17,086 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 06:22 PM

Have any of you former Dealers heard of "Bolensville USA"?

From what I make of it once a year Bolens had a show for dealers and people to try out their products. I got a vintage 30 second film from 1971's Bolensville festival where guys are in a parade with Bolens tractors and there's gigantic husky dog statues in the background.

• Sawdust said thank you

#33 morepower302 OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 64862
  • 72 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 06:29 PM

Is that dealer still around?

Very much so. Today, and when I was working for them, they are a Kubota, Simplicity, and Toro/Exmark dealer and also deal in several well known attachment manufacturers. They did still offer service for Bolens tractors when I was there. Mostly we would get GT series and ISEKI tractors in from customers that they had sold them to in the past, and I recall an HT or two coming in for service as well. When it came to service I would mostly work on the Simplicity equipment so I personally didn't get to work with many of the Bolens tractors other than moving them around if needed.
  • wilberj and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#34 AA Hayes OFFLINE  

AA Hayes
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 67383
  • 316 Thanks
  • 263 posts

Posted March 07, 2016 - 09:07 PM

I know this is an old topic, but I really enjoyed reading these post, hopefully we can get this topic revived with some more stories. Manufacturing companies like Bolens were the back bone of a thriving North America. It is a shame box stores and cheaper equipment have slowed or stopped quality manufacturing and ma and pa businesses. My wife and I boycott large box store and make a point of purchasing all our goods from food to building supplies from small family run businesses in our area. It most certainly cost a bit more, but there is a sense of satisfaction and community cooperation, along with great customer care, which is the shift our economies north and south of the boarders need to head in order to become prosperous again.
  • Bolens 1000, Bruce Dorsi, blackjackjakexxix and 3 others have said thanks

#35 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

• Member No: 1920
  • 644 Thanks
  • 1,422 posts

Posted March 07, 2016 - 11:17 PM

Our local dealer were A and F motors in Pennsgrove Nj that's where my 850 my grandfather bought brand new an there was Owens supply in woodstown NJ
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

#36 framesteer OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11301
  • 327 Thanks
  • 161 posts

Posted March 08, 2016 - 10:52 AM

I don't recall anything about a "Bolensville USA" product show.  I do remember going with my Dad (dealer) to a regional product introduction show in 1967.  It was held at the Holiday Inn in Columbia, MO.  It was a big deal because of all the new products introduced at that show.  

Most impressive demo was when they brought a new 1250 out in front of the dealer personnel and drove it back and forth in forward and reverse with the driver's hands high up in the air.  (The 1250 was the first Bolens tractor with a hydro, and I believe the first tractor industry-wide that had the foot pedal controlling forward and reverse.)  That was like majic to a 16 year old and pretty much everyone else!

They also demonstrated the new GK at that show.  At first they showed in inside, then they took it outside for the dealers to drive.  On the way out, the Bolens representative drove it out through a glass door.  It was a tight squeeze even with the mower wings folded up.  He didn't quite make it on the first try, and poked the right hand mower caster wheel through the floor-to-ceiling glass panel next to the door shattering it to tiny pieces.  I'm sure they didn't budget that expense in the cost of the show.

• Bolens 1000, wilberj, LPBolens and 5 others have said thanks

#37 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • Member No: 49650
  • 427 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 01:14 AM

In Cochrane Alberta there was an Esso service station that sold Datsun/ nissan cars, snow moblies and bolens tractors.  The three 1050 I have all came from that area. 

• blackjackjakexxix and AA Hayes have said thanks

#38 old coot OFFLINE  

old coot
  • Member No: 54079
  • 39 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 06:09 AM

i'm not the original owner of my 1886 but it did come from  a place called  pritts feed and supply in smithton pa, a local feed supply and hardware store...now long gone being pushed out by the big box stores...kind of sad really,,,you will never get the service now like you did back then and in those kind of mom and pop stores,

• blackjackjakexxix and AA Hayes have said thanks

#39 Toolfoole OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8230
  • 217 Thanks
  • 129 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 10:09 AM

Since I live in Southeast PA, I'd be very interested to know the name of the dealer that morepower302 referred to, as well as the town in which it's located.

Regarding old Bolens dealerships, my dad bought a new Bolens 1253 (tube frame) in 1970 at Lakewood Hardware in Lakewood NJ. I believe they sold a fair amount of Bolens products, back in the 60's and 70's. Unfortunately, they are long gone. Their slogan was "See the Boys" (at Lakewood Hardware). BTW: I still own that tractor and am currently in the process of rebuilding the original Tec engine.

• blackjackjakexxix and old coot have said thanks

#40 nglauer OFFLINE  

• Member No: 46660
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted March 15, 2016 - 12:38 PM

Add my family to the dealership list. They primarily sold Ford farm tractors, but carried the Bolens line for the residential side of the business. I also remember going with my father as a kid to get parts at a local hardware store for our Bolens 1050. This hardware store sold parts for a number of years after Dye's Tractor Sales shut down. Neither are in business now.
  • blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#41 Rainier OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 53758
  • 344 Thanks
  • 371 posts

Posted March 15, 2016 - 09:03 PM

The infamous MCM is McCulloch Chainsaws :D 
I have a disease which makes me collect those saws .....

Here in the northwest ,saw are a way of life. I've seen some old McCulloch saw . Usually hanging on the wall. Big ones.
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

#42 LPBolens OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,154 Thanks
  • 869 posts

Posted March 15, 2016 - 11:13 PM

Back in the 1960's in Maine, I worked crew with my dad. He was with a company out of Bangor that did surveying and forest management services. Dad's degree was in Forestry from the Univ. of Maine. We used a lot of McCulloch chainsaws to do things like bush the survey line through forests, etc. One summer our crew did the "centerline survey" for I-95 north of Bangor. Lots of experience using a chainsaw and axes!