#1 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,349 Thanks
  • 1,758 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 06:55 PM

Finding some interesting things out over the last couple years,unlike being a dealer for Cub Cadet and John Deere who always seemed to have fancy show rooms and dealerships to be a Bolens dealer you could work out of your garage,hardware store,and now found out even a gas station,look closely at the dealer sticker I posted,it was a SOHIO gas station in Ohio,also not sure if these means anything or not,but over the years I have gone to a lot of auctions,finding out they were also New Holland dealerships,was wondering if Bolens at some point was affiliated with the New Holland Corp,I can think of at least 4 auctions I went to that that was the case,you also didn't have to be a full time dealer,in the case where last year I got lucky enough to buy up an old dealers inventory,he sold Bolens on a part time basis out of his garage

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG950975.jpg

Edited by blackjackjakexxix, February 28, 2015 - 06:58 PM.

• wilberj, LPBolens, tinbender7 and 7 others have said thanks

#2 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,193 Thanks
  • 5,213 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 07:01 PM

I seen some odd ones to I been slowly collecting a list of dealers over the years.  I got lucky and put my hands on a list of dealers for Bolens in the 90s in Michigan.   

• Bolens 1000, tinbender7, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,679 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 07:02 PM

Yes, alot of people around here sold Bolens parts as well out of their small home businesses.

That's probably one of the biggest reasons there are so many parts still being found and circulating out there.

It was quite popular for many hardware stores to have a shelf of Bolens products

• wilberj, blackjackjakexxix, tinbender7 and 3 others have said thanks

#4 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 07:07 PM

One of my 1256s has a sticker with a FORD logo, and another one that I'm not familiar with.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_4039.JPG

• blackjackjakexxix, tinbender7, WrenchinOnIt and 2 others have said thanks

#5 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,193 Thanks
  • 5,213 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 07:10 PM

Many dealer sold other brands along with Bolens tractors I know of a dealer by me that sold 5 brands plus Bolens. 

• Bolens 1000 and chieffan have said thanks

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,679 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 07:13 PM

One of my 1256s has a sticker with a FORD logo, and another one that I'm not familiar with.

The infamous MCM is McCulloch Chainsaws :D 

I have a disease which makes me collect those saws .....

• OldBuzzard, WrenchinOnIt, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#7 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 07:16 PM

Well, if you think about it, Bolens was a VERY expensive tractor at the time, so they wouldn't sell in the volume that the other less expensive tractors would.

Making a living as a Bolens only dealership may not have been possible.

• blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#8 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • Member No: 46660
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 07:16 PM

My family sold Bolens alongside Ford farm tractors back in the day. I also remember going to a small local hardware store with dad to get parts occasionally for our 1050. I will have to ask him about it.
  • Bolens 1000, blackjackjakexxix, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#9 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 08:01 PM

Used to be a big Gas Station in Newville, WI that sold them for years. That is where I used to see them and stop in and look. This was mostly in 70's and early 80's, but he was there with those in 60's too. Was kind of an all brand repair, but only sold Bolens. Was first place I saw one of those Articulated ones like on here. Think still gas in there, not sure, but no tractors for quite awhile.

• boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#10 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 08:05 PM

The infamous MCM is McCulloch Chainsaws :D

I have a disease which makes me collect those saws .....

I didn't know you did that, Brian!

:picsoritsnotyours:

Ben W.

• Bolens 1000, boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#11 ClassicBolens ONLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Member No: 48806
  • 946 Thanks
  • 375 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 09:59 PM

No correlation between New Holland and Bolens, just coincidence. Lots of mom & pop gas stations, appliance stores, farm implement and independent hardware stores sold Bolens over the years. I don't know about Cub Cadet, but John Deere had fairly strict requirements to become a dealer. 

• Bolens 1000, blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt and 2 others have said thanks

#12 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,349 Thanks
  • 1,758 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 11:39 PM

Ya, I'm thinking Cub Cadet  must have also,any dealership I ever saw was pretty nice

Edited by blackjackjakexxix, February 28, 2015 - 11:42 PM.

• WrenchinOnIt, boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#13 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,531 posts

Posted March 01, 2015 - 12:48 AM

Our Local Shop had Bolens and Mc Culloch from the 60s into the 90s. The shop was an evening and weekend activity because Fred had a regular factory job too. The shop closed in the late 90s because of MTD policy changes.

A town that I lived in 35 years ago, had a gas station that had been a Chevrolet Dealer since the 1920s. In the late 1970s, the dealership went away but the service station is still there(with atleast one dealership sign still inside).

Many people had to struggle with multiple ways to provide an income. Bolens in the sixties had year round products; lawn mowers, chainsaws, snowblowers, tractors, and snowmobiles. Their early franchise agreements were easy to accept and my local guy was happy with them for 30 years. When MTD took over, they put rediculous quotas on sales. He ended up having to cut all franchise agreements(Kohler, B&S, Tecumseh, and Wisconsin) because they wanted to shaft the little guys. He sold the Bolens inventory to a dealer in RI, the modern engine parts to another dealer, and the obsolete parts I got.

You never know what you will find at a garage sale. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, March 01, 2015 - 12:49 AM.

• blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt, chieffan and 1 other said thanks

#14 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,193 Thanks
  • 5,213 posts

Posted March 01, 2015 - 12:52 AM

Our Local Shop had Bolens and Mc Culloch from the 60s into the 90s. The shop was an evening and weekend activity because Fred had a regular factory job too. The shop closed in the late 90s because of MTD policy changes.

A town that I lived in 35 years ago, had a gas station that had been a Chevrolet Dealer since the 1920s. In the late 1970s, the dealership went away but the service station is still there(with atleast one dealership sign still inside).

Many people had to struggle with multiple ways to provide an income. Bolens in the sixties had year round products; lawn mowers, chainsaws, snowblowers, tractors, and snowmobiles. Their early franchise agreements were easy to accept and my local guy was happy with them for 30 years. When MTD took over, they put rediculous quotas on sales. He ended up having to cut all franchise agreements(Kohler, B&S, Tecumseh, and Wisconsin) because they wanted to shaft the little guys. He sold the Bolens inventory to a dealer in RI, the modern engine parts to another dealer, and the obsolete parts I got.

You never know what you will find at a garage sale. Good Luck, Rick

Many of the small car dealers went that way to... Slowly pushed out for bigger dealers. 

Edited by wilberj, March 01, 2015 - 12:54 AM.

• boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#15 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,167 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted March 01, 2015 - 02:19 AM

That is interesting information in all the posts above!  ...Thanks, guys! :thumbs:

In New Jersey, Bolens equipment and parts were direct from the factory until the early 1960's, after which time we had to purchase through a distributor.  .....We got out of the business in 1984, so I can't comment about later years.

The distributor was responsible for setting-up new dealers within his territory.   .....As best as I can recall, every Bolens dealer within 75 miles of us was a legitimate shop, having a showroom and service facilities.  .....Maybe our distributor was fussy who they sold Bolens stuff to.  .....It would not be in their interest to "cut the throats" of  established, higher-volume dealers.

It was not uncommon for some large hardware stores to sell equipment, but they also had repair shops on their premises.  ....Several farm-tractor dealerships also sold & repaired garden tractors.

• Bolens 1000, blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt and 2 others have said thanks