17 replies to this topic

#1 D1208 OFFLINE  

D1208
  • Member No: 67967
  • 3 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 12:38 AM

Hello from colombia SA

Want to build a diesel tractor with disk brakes and a yanmar l100 435cc engine. How can ibuild one from local parts, import part, or import kit. Tractors are expensive here. Any other engine options are welcome.

Thanks
  • WNYTractorTinkerer and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#2 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,885 Thanks
  • 2,793 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 08:39 AM

Welcome to GTtalk you came to the right place, lots of knowledgeable people here.
  • D1208 said thank you

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,770 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 09:29 AM

Welcome to GTT. You are taking on a difficult and complicated project. In our Manuals Section are some very old articles on building tractors. Many years ago around here, They would take old trucks, cut them down, add an extra transmission, convert to big tires and use powersteering pumps to create a hydraulic lift. It took alot of time and access to a lathe and welder.

You will have alot of possiblities depending on what you can find. Use your imagination. Good Luck, Rick

• MH81, Auburn David and D1208 have said thanks

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 11:31 AM

Why not buy Grey Market tractor? See on line. Cheaper than building I bet.
  • D1208 said thank you

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 12:29 PM

:welcome: to GTTalk
I agree with the difficult project statement. I would first start by taking notice of any and all old equipment that you might be able to find locally. Everything from abandoned / unused trucks you might be able to scavenge to how far away is the closest junkyard for vehicles to see if you can get a good PS pump and Alternator.
I have heard that walk behind tractors are more common down your way... Maybe use a robust one with a bad engine as part of your drive train?
  • boyscout862, LilysDad and D1208 have said thanks

#6 D1208 OFFLINE  

D1208
  • 3 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 02:03 PM

Why not buy Grey Market tractor? See on line. Cheaper than building I bet.

I would prefer ordering new good parts online from jd and building it

#7 D1208 OFFLINE  

D1208
  • 3 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 02:15 PM

There arent many lawn tractors here but will search. How are the alternaters on a lawn tractor and ps pump? Was thinking in buying a jd d110 an importing it but its not diesel :( how much is the smallest diesel jd out? Also dose these tractors have any suspension?

Yea they are more commen but i like how the lawn tractor looks and i like to ride

:welcome: to GTTalk
I agree with the difficult project statement. I would first start by taking notice of any and all old equipment that you might be able to find locally. Everything from abandoned / unused trucks you might be able to scavenge to how far away is the closest junkyard for vehicles to see if you can get a good PS pump and Alternator.
I have heard that walk behind tractors are more common down your way... Maybe use a robust one with a bad engine as part of your drive train?

There arent many lawn tractors here but will search. How are the alternaters on a lawn tractor and ps pump? Was thinking in buying a jd d110 an importing it but its not diesel :( how much is the smallest diesel jd out? Also dose these tractors have any suspension?

Yea they are more commen but i like how the lawn tractor looks

Edited by D1208, February 28, 2015 - 02:17 PM.

#8 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 03:00 PM

Hello D1208! It's a small world I was just in Bogota a few weeks ago and made some day trips to Medellin and Cali. I was in Cartenga last October. Colombia is a nice place.

Tractors don't have suspensions. The drive axles are rigidly bolted to the frame. The steer axle rides on a pivot bolt. No springs. No shocks. No torsion bars.

Are you wanting to build an agriculture type of tractor or a garden tractor sized machine? Google Doodle Bug. It's what homemade tractors are known as from the Depression days. That will give you some good insight and help you develop your plan. I believe it was Popular Mechanics that had a "how to" article on building one.
  • MH81 and D1208 have said thanks

#9 D1208 OFFLINE  

D1208
  • 3 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted March 02, 2015 - 07:53 AM

Yea the land is nice. Commerce stinks because of the taxes so there is lots of chines poo around. Yea im around antioquia medellin is the capital.

Yea thats what i thought.

Lawn tractor wish it was at least a garden trac but to much $ . O.o will look in to that thanks

#10 D1208 OFFLINE  

D1208
  • 3 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted March 02, 2015 - 08:00 AM

Jajajjajaja looks like a bugatti tractor for 1910s jajjajjajajajaja wonder if they still do this (img)

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Edited by D1208, March 02, 2015 - 08:03 AM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#11 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,770 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted March 04, 2015 - 04:27 PM

I found the plans I was looking for: http://gardentractor...ebuilt-tractor/   Good Luck, Rick

• D1208 said thank you

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted March 04, 2015 - 07:08 PM

That's pretty cool, Rick!

• boyscout862 said thank you

#13 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,770 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted July 15, 2016 - 02:53 PM

Jajajjajaja looks like a bugatti tractor for 1910s jajjajjajajajaja wonder if they still do this (img)

Bugatti race cars are very valuable. Last running one that I saw was over a million dollars. How are you making out with your tractor project?  To do things on a very low budget you have to learn how to scrounge, figure out, and fabricate. These are all skills that help in alot of areas.

I am not clear about what you want to use the machine for. Please let us know what you want it to do. Also give us some idea of what you do have available in the way of trucks, quads, and tractors. Good Luck, Rick

• D1208 said thank you

#14 D1208 OFFLINE  

D1208
  • 3 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 07:54 PM

Bugatti race cars are very valuable. Last running one that I saw was over a million dollars. How are you making out with your tractor project?  To do things on a very low budget you have to learn how to scrounge, figure out, and fabricate. These are all skills that help in alot of areas.

I am not clear about what you want to use the machine for. Please let us know what you want it to do. Also give us some idea of what you do have available in the way of trucks, quads, and tractors. Good Luck, Rick

yea i know they are really valuable. wow. still thinking on one .i was thinking in a 10hp yanmar with a peerless tarnsaxle but i think that isnt going to have enof torque so i desided with 3 cylinder compact with a transaxle  parts would be new from a kubota or any reliable name brand . we have a ranch here and  i want to be able to grow corn or something to feed the cattle and for general use also. i was looking at this kubota https://www.youtube....h?v=s0rMFBXqrCk i really like the different attachments that is capable of but dont reallly think they would pay that much. so 3cyl kubota or yanmar? and which transaxle please help. trucks are really expenci but you gave me an idea i was thinking in a 10hp diesel with comet cvt and jackshaft to chain convertion quad could work but still i think it would be to much and not in of power..tractors are scares and $$$ i was looking at an old gas lawn tractor for 6k pesos which is like 2k usd i thought that was ubserd. so i was thinking in importing some new parts and asembling it here

#15 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,770 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 09:54 PM

I would think that buying the new parts would be very expensive. If you have a big field to plow, it will be alot easier with a bigger tractor. This is my thread from yesterday: http://gardentractor...8-zagray-today/ . The second picture in the second group of pictures is a home made garden tractor. He narrowed a 60 year old Ford car rear end. He connected a shaft with a big chain sprocket to it. The chain connects to a shaft that uses a pulley and belt system to connect to the engine. The front end is homemade with pipes.

How much would a new tractor cost? What about a used Jeep? What is your climate like? For the fun of it you can look through the Surplus Center Catalog on line. I fear that the shipping will be very high. https://www.surpluscenter.com/ their current inventory of transaxles can't pull a plow. Let us know nore about your project. Did you download the tractor building articles in the Manuals Section. Good Luck, Rick