Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 12:32 AM

Just scored another RARE Bolens goodie :dancingbanana:

This is one that was WAY under my radar, and one that I really wasn't aware of until about 2 weeks ago.

I was going through a BIG Bolens binder that I have that is chock full of parts and owners manuals, and buried down in the middle of it was a Parts/Owners Operators Manual for something called the 18113 Blade Lockup Kit.

Evidently it's to allow you to use a rear mounted attachment without having to take the front blade off the tractor.  Pretty slick idea if you think about it.

Anyway, imagine my surprise when one, a NOS one in fact, showed up on eBay within a week of me seeing the manual.

I promptly put in the first bid, which was $100.00, and set a max bid as it was a 6 day auction.

Now things got really interesting and it became something of a Soap Opera.

I wasn't all that surprised that a day or two later someone out bid me and I resigned myself to an "it sure would have been nice, but too much for me" and went about my business.

Not long after that I got a PM asking me if I had been bidding on it.  I told the person yes, and they said that the bidder was willing to retract their offer if they knew that it was me that was after it.  I replied that I was indeed bidding and that if the high bidder wanted to retract in my favor I wouldn't be opposed to it but I wouldn't ask him to do that if he really wanted it, as I know that he's a serious collector as well.

He contacted the seller and told him that he wanted to retract the bid and his reason for doing so.  The seller allowed the retraction, and the bid went back to the original $100.00.  It stayed like that until the final minute or two of the auction when once again, I was out bid.  I was a bit disappointed but not all that surprised, and went about my business.

Shortly after the end of the auction, the next day I think, the seller contacted me and said that the 'new' high bidder was wanting to retract his bid, saying that he made a mistake, had multiple windows open, bid on the wrong item, etc, etc.

Seller said that it looked, and sounded, to him like the bidder was just trying to run up the bid with no intention of buying it, and then had an "OH POOP!" moment when he got stuck with the high bid.

Evidently negotiations were made and the seller contacted me again. He had allowed the retraction and that it was mine if I wanted it.  He asked for my phone number so that we could talk rather than do a lot of emailing and messaging, so I did and we had a nice 2 1/2 hour chat earlier this evening where he gave me all the details, including names (one of which I already knew), of the whole mess.

We settled on a mutually agreeable price and the deal was struck.  It should arrive some time next week.

In any event, sans pictures, here is the link to the original listing.

http://www.ebay.com/...cvip=true&rt=nc

Once it get's here I'll scan and upload the manual for our archives.

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse, hamman and 13 others have said thanks

#2 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 05:56 AM

Evidently somebody didn't want to "ruffle" your feathers.

• OldBuzzard, sacsr and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 07:05 AM

Good story. Glad you were able to end up with it.

• blackjackjakexxix and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 07:15 AM

One INTENDED to 'ruffle' my feathers.....the other is just a good guy willing to let a fellow collector 'get in line ahead of him'.

In fact, he's happy that I got it, and if the same situation comes up again, I'll most like be the one to bow out.

Edited by OldBuzzard, February 28, 2015 - 07:16 AM.

• MH81, blackjackjakexxix, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,157 Thanks
  • 4,503 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 07:28 AM

Glad  to see you ended up with it.  Strange things can happen on eBay all right.  Anxious to see it as I have been thinking about something along those lines for my 1000 series tractors.  Have the blade on one and was working with the sleeve hitch and cultivator to get the shovels set right.  Had to block the blade with a 2x4 and though it sure would be nice to have away to lock that end up and still use the other, eve  if I had to lift the blade by hand to get it into a locked position.  Can't wait to see your RARE find.

• blackjackjakexxix and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,157 Thanks
  • 4,503 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 07:32 AM

When I am after something on eBay I very rarely put a bid in on the item.  I figure out what the maximum amount is I am willing to pay for it and use a sniper program.  Once the sniper is one it, that is it.  I either get it or I don't.  No bidding wars or any of that other stuff that can get you to throw "one more bid" in the ring.  Either I get it or I don't.

• OldBuzzard, blackjackjakexxix and Sawdust have said thanks

#7 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 08:24 AM

I just put my first bid, and then add my max.  It's pretty much the same as my bid will automatically out bid newer bids until my max is reached.

I find that's just as effective as sniping at the end, and a lot less stressful  :D :D :D

Edited by OldBuzzard, February 28, 2015 - 08:25 AM.

• blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#8 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 09:54 AM

That's a good story, glad you got it for a fair price.  Better yet if you bought it "off" ebay they take way too many fees from sellers these days.

Once i was given a "second chance offer" from a seller.  I had also entered my "max bid" early, got outbid early, and let it go.  Within a minute of the auction ending, the seller contacted me, the other bidder "backed out," and I could have the item for my "max bid," which was quite a bit higher than the "opening bid," and nobody else bid on the item.

I was new to ebay then but smelled a rat.  I told the seller i'd pay him his "opening bid" price, since nobody else legitimate bid on it.  He never got back to me or relisted the item.  It had previously been relisted a few times with no buyers.

I figure his buddy upped the bid so they could find out my "max bid," the auction sat there for days, then as soon as it ended he offered it to me at the max price.  Actually it was a woman now that i think about it. 

Anyway glad it worked out better for you.

• HJR said thank you

#9 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 10:01 AM

Oldbuzzard, you are a lucky fellow!!

#10 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 10:36 AM

OB that was definitely meant to be. That was a great story. I bid & buy a lot on eBay & this story was the best. Congrats & looking forward to your manual & pics.

#11 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 11:04 AM

Great story OB, glad it all worked out in the end. There is a lot of "Buddy Bid Ups" happening on Ebay all the time. You just have to stick to your top dollar and see where it lands. :thumbs:

• blackjackjakexxix and Sawdust have said thanks

#12 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 11:23 AM

Glad to see you got it,nice to see the seller worked with you to get it,ebay sellers sometime seem to get a bad rap,but goes to show not all are bad guys

• Sawdust and ClassicBolens have said thanks

#13 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 11:36 AM

Odd tale. Some sort of "clan" here with secret system?

#14 LPBolens ONLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 11:45 AM

Glad it worked out for you. Funny how these things work sometimes. I have one of those front dozer blade lock-ups, and I have a different one that is used to lock up the tiller. Both are relatively simple affairs, but clever.

• Bolens 1000 and blackjackjakexxix have said thanks

#15 adamjd200 ONLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,396 Thanks
  • 1,533 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 02:25 PM

Great story OB, glad it all worked out in the end. There is a lot of "Buddy Bid Ups" happening on Ebay all the time. You just have to stick to your top dollar and see .where it lands. :thumbs:

It's just as bad at the "live" consignment sales around here, but the worst I have ever seen was a guy who started all his items himself.