• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,878 Thanks
  • 1,357 posts

Posted February 27, 2015 - 05:04 PM

As I said in other posts Craigslist is the worst place to do business on. I won't sell anything on that site anymore. To many idiots to deal with.
  • Bolens 1000 and Oldford have said thanks

#17 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 12,842 Thanks
  • 9,461 posts

Posted February 27, 2015 - 05:55 PM

I had a seller tell me I was way off on my pricing on a nice JD 212 with a 47 deck, a 37a blower, chains, sleeve hitch, and a box blade. My response was telling him how many hours a year I spent on online tractor forums answering 'what's it worth' threads, so I knew what it was worth, thank you very much. He came back with 'if you're not willing to negotiate', so I raised the price $50. That was the last email we traded.

Some people have no sense of humor.

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, MH81 and 3 others have said thanks

#18 case442 OFFLINE  

case442

• Member No: 2504
  • 687 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted February 27, 2015 - 06:23 PM

Well that plain stinks and it a real kick in the pants. Theres been times that I have bought something that I never got to and sold only to find out that the next guy got fixed up and running and sold for more. But for the most part I love to buy something that I havent had and feel that it will be just what I need only to find out its not and resale. I have bought and sold a lot of tractors one thing I do as always, be honest. I realize its buyer beware but if theres something not right make the buyer aware. Nothing hurts more than spending hard earned cash only to have it fail on you.

Mike

• MH81, KennyP and Oldford have said thanks

#19 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,935 Thanks
  • 1,787 posts

Posted February 27, 2015 - 07:21 PM

My response was telling him how many hours a year I spent on online tractor forums

You keep track?!?!?!?

That's something I would never want to know...

• KennyP said thank you

#20 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 12,842 Thanks
  • 9,461 posts

Posted February 27, 2015 - 07:24 PM

You keep track?!?!?!?

That's something I would never want to know...

My wife claims she does............. :hitting_self_roller:

#21 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,763 Thanks
  • 1,187 posts

Posted February 27, 2015 - 07:29 PM

I have picked up freebie lts and sold them. Usually after replacing batteries belts soleniod tires etc. I add $50 to what I have in parts
  • Oldford said thank you

#22 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted February 27, 2015 - 08:44 PM

Tell the buy everything that there buying tells them whats wrong if they want it theyll buy it if not someone else will be interested.  I dont like selling stuff or buying it that has hidden surprises

• Oldford said thank you

#23 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 7,386 Thanks
  • 3,659 posts

Posted February 27, 2015 - 09:27 PM

Do you think he will get the money he's asking ? Noel.
  • Oldford said thank you

#24 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 14,236 Thanks
  • 8,190 posts

Posted February 27, 2015 - 09:56 PM

I may have a diffring opinion on this subject. Once I buy something it is mine to do with as I please. When I buy them I do no tel them any of my plans for it. If they ask I tell them I will figure it out later, or I just straight up tell them it is none of thier business. When I sell something I could care lessif I see it for sale for 10 times as much the next day. I made my profit. If I wanted more I should have asked more.
  • superaben, Columbia236 and Oldford have said thanks

#25 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,662 Thanks
  • 7,409 posts

Posted February 27, 2015 - 11:32 PM

I have a good one for you guys. I was messaged about my Dad's old ww2 6x6, 7 ton truck. It has a racked cab and needs a full restore, but good drivetrain, capable of moving under its own power in an afternoon. Dad and I discussed it and decided we could see the truck go to someone that would actually restore it, gave a price and he said he would get back. He lived a few states away so would have to haul it home with Lowboy and a semi, but the $5000 dollar tag didn't scare him off because it isn't a very common truck. Two days later he came back at $2500, half, said it needed a lot and his shipping, etc. I told Dad and his reaction was exactly the same, "Bull $&@?, that thing is so heavy it would probably scrap for that ($200-250/ton at the time)" No we wouldnt scrap it but we refuse to give it away at scrap rates, that was how we arrived at $5000 willing to take a few hundred less. So I formed an email and read it to Dad before sending, and boy was it a sweet email, my favorite little phrase I threw in was "NEVER for sale", and that was that on the deal.

I don't like to lose money, but I don't care to give stuff away either, and I try to place these things in good homes if and when I sale. I bought one back not running for the same I sold it for in mowing condition, just because I knew what it was, and knew with that one repair it would be a good machine yet again. It is waiting for me to sell it for what I have in it this time to a guy that will definitely treat it with the respect it deserves. Only tractor in my fleet that I had to replace the head gasket on.... Twice LOL.

Now here is a little stab for the guy buying said tractor, he knows who he is, and one day his truck will start again so he can make the trip. :poke:

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, February 27, 2015 - 11:33 PM.

• superaben and Oldford have said thanks

#26 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 1,023 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 08:27 PM

Do you think he will get the money he's asking ? Noel.

I don't know.  We've had a record snowfall and people need snowblowers.

The tractor looks pretty tired in person, you can see 38 years of hard use just looking at it.  But you never know what people are going to do....

• propane1 said thank you

#27 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 7,386 Thanks
  • 3,659 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 09:54 PM

Some times they never get what they ask. So there efforts are not as good as they hoped. Noel.
  • Oldford said thank you

#28 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,525 Thanks
  • 2,544 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 11:10 PM

I enjoy the hunt for a new to me tractor, I like to bring back to the light old iron that someone else gave up on. I bought an old broke down with weeds growing up thru it Ford lgt145 that I put a lot of time in to bringing back to the light. I like hydro drive and lift but I couldn't work the foot control very well. So I sold it. I recently sold the Sears gt6000 with a snowblower that I bought cheap not running and missing parts, got it running and working good again, sold it to a kid for little more than I had it it, and it was back online for sale a week later for more than I sold it for. More power to him! I was just happy to make it run again.

Edited by Delmar, February 28, 2015 - 11:19 PM.

• Oldford said thank you

#29 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 4,390 Thanks
  • 4,141 posts

Posted March 01, 2015 - 11:20 AM

Here is how I view things; When I buy it, it's mine, whatever gain I make or loss I take, it's mine. When I sell it and am satisfied to take his money, it's his. If he loses his ass or makes a huge profit, I don't care, it's his to do as he pleases. Same with gifts, I never give gifts with strings attached, if I give someone something and they sell it, lose it, give it away, whatever, not my business, I gave it to them, it's no longer mine. I might not give them anything else, but I won't get mad, if I'd wanted control, I should have kept it.

• Oldford said thank you

#30 junkyardjeff OFFLINE  

junkyardjeff
  • Member No: 50084
  • 82 Thanks
  • 88 posts

Posted March 01, 2015 - 12:40 PM

What I do not like is when someone gives you I do not have much money and really need it then turns around and sells it the next day,from now on if I do not get close to what I want it stays here and I will make all the money.

• Oldford and toppop52 have said thanks