• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 CraftsmanGT OFFLINE  

CraftsmanGT
  • Member No: 67395
  • 187 Thanks
  • 227 posts

Posted February 27, 2015 - 12:29 AM

I plan on putting a voltmeter on my GT6000 in place of the ammeter since it sorta fell apart. I know I need to hook the wires for the ammeter together and hook the + side of the voltmeter into the key switch for it to show voltage when the key is turned to "on" and when the tractor is running. I'm not good when it comes to electrical so I need to know where to hook it in on the key switch

Screenshot_2015-02-26-23-20-37.png

Edited by CraftsmanGT, February 27, 2015 - 12:34 AM.

#2 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,171 Thanks
  • 2,143 posts

Posted February 27, 2015 - 12:37 AM

The positive (+) side of the voltmeter gets connected to the "L" terminal of the key switch.

The negative (-) side of the voltmeter gets connected to a good, clean, ground connection.

• Alc said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted February 27, 2015 - 12:52 AM

The positive (+) side of the voltmeter gets connected to the "L" terminal of the key switch.

The negative (-) side of the voltmeter gets connected to a good, clean, ground connection.

Will that read the battery voltage or just the voltage from the secondary (light) alternator?

Is there power at the M terminal when the key is on and not when off?

#4 CraftsmanGT OFFLINE  

CraftsmanGT
  • 187 Thanks
  • 227 posts

Posted February 27, 2015 - 01:43 AM

I'd assume that their would be power to the "M" terminal with the key "on" since it's the kill wire for the coil and goes to the seat switch (which is bypassed)

#5 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted February 27, 2015 - 05:40 AM

There should never be power on the M terminal. That will release the magic smoke from the ignition coil.

The L terminal is the only one that has power controlled by the ignition switch. It also feeds the pto clutch.

Garry

Edited by GWest, February 27, 2015 - 05:43 AM.

• MH81, Alc, Bruce Dorsi and 2 others have said thanks

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,449 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted February 27, 2015 - 06:33 AM

It took about 5 minutes looking at that diagram before I could figure it wasn't like anything I've worked on .  Now I can see why it's easy to ruin one of those type ignition !!!  I'm going to save that picture for a reminder if I ever get one like that , Al   

#7 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,171 Thanks
  • 2,143 posts

Posted February 27, 2015 - 10:30 AM

It took about 5 minutes looking at that diagram before I could figure it wasn't like anything I've worked on .  Now I can see why it's easy to ruin one of those type ignition !!!  I'm going to save that picture for a reminder if I ever get one like that , Al   

The key to the answer was not just in the wiring diagram.

In the lower left corner of that sheet, is a diagram of the internal switch connections.

Just above that is a box showing the switch connections:  "OFF" connects the "M"agneto terminal to "G"round ......"ON" connects the "B"attery voltage to the "L" terminal.   ......"START" connects the  "B"attery voltage to the "S" terminal, which supplies power to the start circuit.

• Bolens 1000, ducky, MH81 and 2 others have said thanks

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted February 27, 2015 - 11:11 AM

I would think it might be easier to install another ammeter than to try to rewire or make something else work.
The Voltmeter will only be telling you what the second half of the alternator is putting out, not what the charge is on your battery.
  • Sawdust said thank you

#9 CraftsmanGT OFFLINE  

CraftsmanGT
  • 187 Thanks
  • 227 posts

Posted February 27, 2015 - 12:37 PM

I would perfer a voltmeter, but yeah a new ammeter would be easier

#10 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,310 Thanks
  • 4,660 posts

Posted February 27, 2015 - 12:39 PM

I would think it might be easier to install another ammeter than to try to rewire or make something else work.
The Voltmeter will only be telling you what the second half of the alternator is putting out, not what the charge is on your battery.

I would also replace it with another Ammeter.  It will give a true representation of the charging system's output better than just showing the battery's voltage.  I know a voltage check does give an indication if or not the system is working but what you don't really know is 'how well' it is.  The ammeter removes all doubt as it measures the power output.  (amps)

Hook it in as described above.  Hook both wires from the ammeter together on the (+) side of the volt meter and install a Ground wire and it will work perfectly.  No other rewiring is needed except the (-) side needs a wire to ground.  Simple..

To me that wiring diagram makes perfect sense.  But I've been reading the dang things for years..  Positive to Negative flow for all DC circuits.  (one way)

AC is two ways  (Alternating)  AC is generated with your Stator as the magnets pass and the diode / rectifier / regulator drops the negative side so you have 'broken or one side of the AC's' current..  

Keep studying that diagram and fire back with any questions

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, February 27, 2015 - 12:40 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#11 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted February 27, 2015 - 12:40 PM

The negative (-) side of the voltmeter gets connected to a good, clean, ground connection.

:iagree:  :ditto:

#12 3v0 OFFLINE  

3v0
  • Member No: 26648
  • 79 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted February 27, 2015 - 12:45 PM

A good answer has already been posted.  But this does not have to be rocket science.  Find any wire that provides power only with the switch on.   Then disconnect the battery and check for conductivity between  that point and the positive battery cable.

It is nice to have both ;)

#13 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,310 Thanks
  • 4,660 posts

Posted February 27, 2015 - 01:46 PM

The key to the answer was not just in the wiring diagram.

In the lower left corner of that sheet, is a diagram of the internal switch connections.

Just above that is a box showing the switch connections:  "OFF" connects the "M"agneto terminal to "G"round ......"ON" connects the "B"attery voltage to the "L" terminal.   ......"START" connects the  "B"attery voltage to the "S" terminal, which supplies power to the start circuit.

You also need to take both the wires on the Ammeter and hook them together or all bets are off and it won't charge.  The charging current flows through the ammeter..  If the ammeter is gone the charging voltage has nowere to go unless the wires are connected together.  Right?

• ducky and KennyP have said thanks

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted February 27, 2015 - 02:14 PM

You got that right, Dave!

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#15 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,171 Thanks
  • 2,143 posts

Posted February 27, 2015 - 03:18 PM

You also need to take both the wires on the Ammeter and hook them together or all bets are off and it won't charge.  The charging current flows through the ammeter..  If the ammeter is gone the charging voltage has nowere to go unless the wires are connected together.  Right?

You are correct, but if you read the original posting, he knew that he had to connect the ammeter wires together.