15 replies to this topic

#1 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted February 26, 2015 - 05:32 PM

I just drug this '76 SS18 in a week or so ago. I only plan on replacing what it needs and making it a user for now. Some of what it needs might be obvious. :smilewink: Looks like mostly what you see is what it needs to start with. Seat,gas tank,dash,really should have a upper nose but since I am not worried about keeping it original I am debating on using a older grill and dash. It is also missing the fuel pump part of the carb. As you can see by the tracks in one picture the rearend was frozen up when we drug it into the garage so a drain and refill is do for the trans.

Attached Thumbnails

• SS18.jpg 9.jpg
  • SS18.jpg 11.jpg
  • SS18.jpg 12.jpg
  • SS18.jpg 14.jpg

• MH81, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 12 others have said thanks

#2 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,460 Thanks
  • 1,607 posts

Posted February 26, 2015 - 08:56 PM

I really like those SS/18 tractors. I put some work into the one I picked up and had fun moving snow with it last year. The fuel pump and the aluminum plate can be bought for the carb. I bought an NOS Onan carb, but it's meant to be used with a separate fuel pump. I can just buy a new fuel pump kit and use the aluminum plate from my old carb if I ever have to replace the carb. I bought the NOS carb to have as a spare and the price was right. I think the carbs on the Sears Web sight were 679.00 and available when I looked. I've also seen them new on ebay in the 400 dollar range. Just keep your eyes peeled for a used carb for parts and get a rebuild kit with a pump. The original fiber floats can be a pain, but you can file them to clear the carb housing when they swell up. You can also switch to a brass float if you want.
Check with the vendors here to see what they have available. There are some dashes on ebay if you can't find one here.
  • rustyoldjunk and Sawdust have said thanks

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted February 26, 2015 - 09:29 PM

I really like the Sears tractors, but the singles.  Only had One Onan experience and it wasn't good, so spoiled me on them. The older Suburbans are still the better, easier to work on units to me. Might check your brake on that lock-up problem.

• rustyoldjunk said thank you

#4 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,460 Thanks
  • 1,607 posts

Posted February 26, 2015 - 10:01 PM

glgrumpy, that Onan did aggravate me in the beginning. The tractor cost me 225.00, a new starter was 180 something, and the carb that I haven't installed yet was 225.00. The Onan runs great and doesn't burn oil at all. It's awesome running that engine when the snowblower is attached. It really flings the snow and has gobs of power. The only thing I don't like is the fact that the seat is way too high due to the gas tank location, and the steering wheel is too low. I feel like my knuckles are rubbing on my ankles when I'm driving it. The engineers must have ran out of time and said screw it, start the production line.

#5 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted February 26, 2015 - 10:06 PM

I really like the Sears tractors, but the singles.  Only had One Onan experience and it wasn't good, so spoiled me on them. The older Suburbans are still the better, easier to work on units to me. Might check your brake on that lock-up problem.

I put the salamander on it the next day grumpy and had it thawed and rolling in 20 minutes. I have seen more Wheel Horse and Sears tractors than you would think froze up in the winter both a testament to being left outside with a trans that isn't water tight and to the fact hardly anyone ever drains and changes the lube in the trans. First time I ever saw it was 15 years ago. A buddy of mine was there. He had worked on farm tractors for years for a shop and immediately told me what the problem was,saying he had seen it many times before in a lot of different equipment. Now 15 years later I have seen it a lot of times but almost always just Sears or Wheel Horse.

• MH81 and Sawdust have said thanks

#6 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,315 Thanks
  • 936 posts

Posted February 26, 2015 - 10:30 PM

I drained a gallon of water out of the transmission of my ford 3000 yesterday. I tried to start it saturday and couldnt get it out of gear. I got it last fall and hadnt had a chance to check it out good before it got cold

#7 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted February 27, 2015 - 09:17 AM

yep, these tranny suck in water as the cool down after use and it seeps in around shifter somehow too.

You can use and older nose, but I think the Onan hoods are an inch or two longer than the single cyl tractors so you might have to see if hood will bolt up to older grill.

#8 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted February 27, 2015 - 01:58 PM

I bought one, and can't wait for the warm weather to get here. I'm looking forward to wrenching on this one.

#9 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted February 27, 2015 - 11:12 PM

I drained a gallon of water out of the transmission of my ford 3000 yesterday.

A lot of the older tractors were prone to this. Sometimes the bull gears will freeze up and the rear wheels won't move. Makes it tough to get inside the shop. 

#10 craftsmanmowerfreak OFFLINE  

craftsmanmowerfreak
  • Member No: 16215
  • 258 Thanks
  • 222 posts

Posted March 02, 2015 - 09:11 AM

i have seen many tractors freeze like that. i have discussed it to rusty before. heck i had to drain my ss14 tranny 2 years ago in middle of winter get a light under tractor and tarpped tractor for a couple day and it was fine after that

#11 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted March 02, 2015 - 10:41 AM

i have seen many tractors freeze like that. i have discussed it to rusty before. heck i had to drain my ss14 tranny 2 years ago in middle of winter get a light under tractor and tarpped tractor for a couple day and it was fine after that

I just read some of your posts on your SS15. I bought one back in the summer & love it. I'm hoping to restore it this summer once I get my MF12 back together. I enjoyed your input on the Sears tractors.
  • rustyoldjunk and craftsmanmowerfreak have said thanks

#12 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted March 02, 2015 - 10:46 AM

Being a new owner of a SS15 this is good info about being prone to moisture. I've only been in this hobby two years now. I have read even though the Onan's are pricey to work on they have a complete different feel to run one. After fulfilling my wishlist of five tractors & reading about an Onan maybe it's time to start another list. Im glad you got the rearend freed up. That could have been serious. Thanks guys for your expertise.

Edited by Sawdust, March 02, 2015 - 10:48 AM.

• rustyoldjunk and craftsmanmowerfreak have said thanks

#13 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted March 05, 2015 - 05:59 PM

Sawdust you and I are in the same boat in this case. I have heard and read about their "incredible" torque but although I have owned a few I always sold them before using them. So I thought I would finally give the Onan a whirl and see what all the "power" fuss is about. Besides if something happens to the Onan,I still have a Suburban that I can repower. :D

• Sawdust said thank you

#14 craftsmanmowerfreak OFFLINE  

craftsmanmowerfreak
  • Member No: 16215
  • 258 Thanks
  • 222 posts

Posted March 05, 2015 - 06:48 PM

onans are sweet but pricey. i wish i could of kept mine but had to let it go. so far out of any tractor i have owned. the ss15 i have owned the longest and it will be with me a long time from now. i do miss the onan though it was hard to lug it down. heres a picture of my old 76 ss16 next to my old worn out 74 st16.

Attached Thumbnails

• 260037_434795846561512_710117868_n.jpg

#15 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted March 06, 2015 - 08:33 PM

Tyler you about have the market corned on Briggs powered Sears and that is not a bad thing IMHO. You know me,I am a Briggs fan and IMHO you can't beat a cast iron Briggs when they are running good. As far as the Onan's there were several different series and sizes. I am curious to try the one on my SS18 because not only is it a different series but a bigger engine then the model used on the 520 Wheel Horse and they have a reputation as a torque monster.

• craftsmanmowerfreak said thank you