BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,733 Thanks
  • 1,727 posts

Posted February 26, 2015 - 12:33 AM

I got a interesting job offer today.

A guy from town (one of the biggest farmers around and owner of the local feed store) asked me today if I wanted to work for him parting out military trucks? I guess he is getting into fixing and parting out these trucks. A lot of the farmers around here use these trucks for feeding and ect. I told him I'll think about it and I'll give him a call. He said to tell him what I want to be paid and what ever parts that are left over (like cabs, frames ect) will be scrap metal and we will split the money from that 50/50.

Anyone have any idea what parting out military trucks should pay? it's probably fairly hard work but he has the shop, machines (forklifts, skidsteers, ect) and the tools. I'm not overly sure on were he lives, but I'm thinking it's less then 10 miles from me.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I already have my own (small) antique tractor selvage, so I'm use to parting things out.

Edited by BTS, February 26, 2015 - 12:34 AM.

• tinbender7 said thank you

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 26, 2015 - 01:09 AM

What vintage are these military trucks? Deuce and a halves or all sizes? I would think mechanical skill would be worth at least 18 bucks when dealing with heave components, but of course you are getting half the scrap, and he has equipment to aide with heavy stuff, so could be 12-15 no problem, I assume under the table pay? Up to you ultimately.

If you don't have this in site supporter forum, I would recommend it.
  • BTS said thank you

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,533 posts

Posted February 26, 2015 - 01:45 AM

I don't know hourly pay in your area. Check with local repair shops. The relationship you would have(employee or subcontractor) needs to be looked at for liability and workmans' compensation. Disassembly work of heavy equipment can be dangerous and should be considered as to what you would do if something goes wrong. Another aspect to consider is what kind of a man is he? Alot of people get ahead by screwing anybody they can. Be carefull. Good Luck, Rick

• HDWildBill, BTS, TomLGT195 and 4 others have said thanks

#4 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,640 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted February 26, 2015 - 02:56 AM

I would also like boyscout be concerned about workmans compensation,some most of  that stuff is super heavy and can crush you if theres a slip up,also the price of scrap is going down every day. Is he  paying cash? if so I doubt you would be covered by any insurance.

• HDWildBill, boyscout862 and BTS have said thanks

#5 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,704 Thanks
  • 8,894 posts

Posted February 26, 2015 - 05:21 AM

I would consider the splitting of the scrap to be a non-factor in your compensation.
  • Gtractor, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#6 Little Irish Men ONLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 663 Thanks
  • 386 posts

Posted February 26, 2015 - 09:19 AM

I had a brother in law,  Now  X .  And he Did this to me one time,  made me think  He was doing me a favor " I take care of you" one time. Then he did it to others, he gets all the money and then" here is a couple of bucks". And yes i did get hurt on the job 4 stitchs and my sis did  pay the bill, But that was a fight . This guy might be on the up and up but you have to  protect your self at all times. Make sure what your hour pay is , and that scrap is not part on your hour pay . Good luck.

Patrick.

Edited by Little Irish Men, February 26, 2015 - 09:21 AM.

#7 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 934 posts

Posted February 26, 2015 - 09:56 AM

Would this be primary employment or just a "weekend beer money" kind of thing? Are you quitting a stable full time job to do this? What happens if he doesnt want to play with "Army toys" 6 months from now?

It sounds like he left the starting point up to you. just like any negotiation, if you want $20, start at $30 and you may end up at $25.

#8 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,733 Thanks
  • 1,727 posts

Posted February 26, 2015 - 04:36 PM

I'm not sure on the age or size, I am assuming any and all military trucks? I know the guy and he isn't the rip you off kind of guy. This isn't a full time job but yet another part time, I already work for my self with the antique tractors and I work 5 mornings a week at a dog kennel (one of the largest kennels in the country 250+ dogs). Money is tight to say the least, the old tractors are a little bit seasonal do to the fact I don't have anyplace to work on them out of the weather.

Anyway, I'm also not sure if this is one of those "hey part out these trucks" and then that's it. Or if he is going to be getting in the trucks every week and it's a full time job? I'm going to give him a call, head over there and see what this is going to turn into.

Thanks for the advise on the hourly wage, I wasn't really sure what it should pay.

I'll keep everyone updated when I head over there.
Thanks

• MH81, boyscout862 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#9 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,699 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted February 26, 2015 - 04:56 PM

Lots of good advice here. May want to consider too that if  you are a subcontractor then is a piece of equipment is required who pays?

• boyscout862 and BTS have said thanks

#10 Leonard VanCamp ONLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 235 Thanks
  • 196 posts

Posted February 26, 2015 - 04:59 PM

I can help you out on this a little bit. I worked eight years as a full time mechanic or as they put it a Heavy Mobile Equipment Repairer for the Department of Defense at a Equipment Concentration Site. I was making around $22 a hour working on everything from chainsaws up to tank retrievers. The trucks aren't too hard to work on although you have some heavy components (engines, transmissions, axles, etc). Get use to the smell of military grade grease (Grease Automotive and Artillery) 80/90w, 10w and 15/40w oil. Engine wise you'll be dealing with Cat, Cummins and Detroit Diesels. Transmissions will be mostly Allison automatics with maybe some Cat 7155's in the larger trucks. Axles are primarily Rockwells. You'll need a good wheel socket kit if your doing axle tear downs. The newer Dueces and five tons have a centralized tire pressure system that can be a pain to work on. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Edited by Leonard VanCamp, February 26, 2015 - 06:12 PM.

• MH81, boyscout862, BTS and 1 other said thanks

#11 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,733 Thanks
  • 1,727 posts

Posted February 26, 2015 - 11:45 PM

Thanks, I'll keep you in mind if I have any questions.

#12 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,239 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted February 27, 2015 - 10:52 AM

I wouldn't do it for less than 25 an hour. I've been doing home remodeling for 30 using my own tools and they provide the supplies.
  • BTS said thank you

#13 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,733 Thanks
  • 1,727 posts

Posted March 04, 2015 - 11:00 PM

Well, I'm not taking the job, I talked to some other people around and they said this guy is a good "businesses mans" and he always comes out ahead no mater what. They also said get everything in writing or he'll cheat you!. I'm not even going to bother calling him, I don't want to mess with anybody like that.

Thanks again for everyone's advice!

• wvbuzzmaster, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#14 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,699 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted March 05, 2015 - 10:28 AM

Sorry to hear things didn't work out, but sometimes it's for the best.

• BTS said thank you

#15 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,733 Thanks
  • 1,727 posts

Posted March 05, 2015 - 12:21 PM

Sorry to hear things didn't work out, but sometimes it's for the best.

I'm not to mad about it, I got a lot going on anyway.

Thanks

• HDWildBill said thank you