Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

My awesome wife thought that I needed a new tool !

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted February 26, 2015 - 12:05 AM

Now that I have you all's attention and before this gets all off topic and deleted it's a new tire changer for my shop. :D  Now I have changed tires since a kid on the farm. My step dad was a great old school mechanic and that's is the way we continued to change our tires as I got older. Later on I worked in tire shops and was eventually a service call guy doing mostly semi,skidder,tractor and other big tires about anywhere that they sent me out to. I continue to change my own tires a lot from tiny 4 inchers up to whatever size I run into but the last couple of years breaking the beads seem to take more of a toll then they used to ( but I don't have a bumper jack anymore to break the beads with.) My wife took note the last time I came in after a rough fight with a 8.50 ag tire on a Wheel Horse that I patched the tube in then patched the tire a few months back. So at big are today she pointed out the manual tire changer and wanted me to get it. I said it would be nice but I didn't want to spend the money on it. So I left with a cheap headlight because I had been wanting to try one one ( BTW I tried it out tonight and I'm hooked,from now on I will need to keep a head light or two around). The more I thought about it,I thought that she may well be right,I really could use it and since I do break down sometimes and run tires to a tire shop to have tires put on or swapped,it wouldn't take many times to equal the cost of the tire changer. So before we left town we ran back to Big R and I let my beautiful wife get a new tool for my shop. I plan to pick up four concrete bolts and a concrete bit in town tomorrow and get it bolted down. Now that it's home I'm tickled to have it and can't wait to try it out.

Attached Thumbnails

• tire changer.jpg
  • tire changer.jpg 2.jpg

Edited by rustyoldjunk, February 26, 2015 - 12:33 AM.

• MH81, Alc, hamman and 10 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted February 26, 2015 - 01:30 AM

They pay for themselves in no time. Now do something for her. Good Luck, Rick

• rustyoldjunk and tinbender7 have said thanks

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted February 26, 2015 - 01:46 AM

I have the HF one and looks about same. I can take off many tires, have harder time getting them back on, specially when they are older ones. AND, real small hubs wont fit over that top post. I have knocked bearings out to fit, but any smaller and they won't go. Guess there is a smaller version offered for small tires/wheels?  Might have to get one of those too. I made mine fit on 2" tubing and stick it in the hitch on back of truck to use. A little high to make the bead breaker work on bigger tires, but I use a carton or items to hold it up there while doing that. Truck tailgate becomes a bench then.

• rustyoldjunk, IamSherwood, tinbender7 and 3 others have said thanks

#4 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted February 26, 2015 - 05:55 AM

I have the HF one just like that. Works pretty good. I made a holder for the small wheels but use that bead breaker on them.

Image017.jpg

I did end up getting some 'real' channel and replaced the mount pieces. I also welded them together. It's very solid now and I have used it on 16" wheels.

• rustyoldjunk, tinbender7, Utah Smitty and 1 other said thanks

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted February 26, 2015 - 07:33 AM

Great, very nice tool to have.
I have always changed them with bars, probably wouldn't know how to act with a bead breaker.
  • rustyoldjunk, tinbender7 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 26, 2015 - 08:50 AM

Hey Jim, what was the price of that at Big R? I may have Mom and Dad pick me up one since we don't have Big Rs down here.
  • rustyoldjunk, KennyP, tinbender7 and 1 other said thanks

#7 Traill95 ONLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,577 Thanks
  • 920 posts

Posted February 26, 2015 - 09:23 AM

I have the HF one and looks about same. I can take off many tires, have harder time getting them back on, specially when they are older ones. AND, real small hubs wont fit over that top post. I have knocked bearings out to fit, but any smaller and they won't go. Guess there is a smaller version offered for small tires/wheels?  Might have to get one of those too. I made mine fit on 2" tubing and stick it in the hitch on back of truck to use. A little high to make the bead breaker work on bigger tires, but I use a carton or items to hold it up there while doing that. Truck tailgate becomes a bench then.

HF has the smaller addition also.

• rustyoldjunk, tinbender7 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#8 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted February 26, 2015 - 09:30 AM

Hey Jim, what was the price of that at Big R? I may have Mom and Dad pick me up one since we don't have Big Rs down here.

The one at HF looks exactly like this other than paint, Brian.

• rustyoldjunk, Texas Deere and Horse, tinbender7 and 1 other said thanks

#9 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,168 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted February 26, 2015 - 10:26 AM

Back when I was doing custom hay bailing I had several hay racks with 15 & 16" tires.  None of them were by any means new so flats were a problem.  Had two or three spares around all the time.  The boss lady spotted a Coats tire changer in a paper, one of the smaller ones with all attachments.  Wanted $100.  Couldn't get in the truck fast enough.  Got it in the shop  and anchored down and it has paid for itself a hundred time since.  Much better than the HF units by far.  I still have to use the 3/4" bolt in a vise to work on the small front tires of my GT's but with the spoons it is not to bad.  Also got a heavy duty truck tire bead breaker, the slide hammer type at an auction in a lawn cart.  Paid $20 for the whole thing, flat tire and all.  Some of those 30 yo tires can be a bugger to get broke down but with that slide hammer, not a problem.  If one wants to do a job you have to have the tools to do it with.

• rustyoldjunk, Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#10 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted February 26, 2015 - 10:52 AM

I have the same thing and it works really well.I did manage to break off the post that keeps the rim from spinning.I have mine mounted to a pallet and store it outside out of the till I need it.

• rustyoldjunk and tinbender7 have said thanks

#11 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted February 26, 2015 - 05:02 PM

Very nice addition that will save a little energy, skin and time!

I bought this from Greg Smith equipment (http://www.gregsmith...al-Tire-Changer)

20140424_164311_zpsu7ungge3.jpg

I have a plan in mind to help hold the wheel from spinning when I put my big @$$ on the removal bar.

• rustyoldjunk and KennyP have said thanks

#12 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted February 26, 2015 - 05:11 PM

Brian,for what it is I think it was a little high but I think it will come in handy around here and if this one doesn't work out well after I get used to having one around I probably hunt down a used little better unit. This one is $80 at Big R but if it is the same one at Harbor Freight or Northern Tool it will probably be cheaper there. I just thought the extra 30 mile drive in time and fuel help offset me buying this one here in town.

• KennyP said thank you