• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 brettm85 OFFLINE  

brettm85
  • Member No: 67895
  • 1 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted February 25, 2015 - 09:31 PM

Hopefully I'm posting this in right section!

I have a bolens with the Wisconsin TRA-10D.
I've been trying get it running correctly and seemingly did last week, ran it for few hours couple different times plowing snow. Shut it off and now it won't start.

Things I've checked-
Went through and cleaned carb, it's getting gas to the carb, and even drains some out of air intake when I manually choke it.
I'm getting spark to my points and to my plug, points set at bout .20 and plug round .30.
Just prior to this I had changed the oil, and at the start of the last few rubs I had with it I made slight carb adjustments trying to get it run smoother, at low idle would sound good, but if increased throttle it would bog down and want to stall.
It turns over very easily, so I don't believe it to be a starter issue.
The pto is not engaged at all.
One last thing, when I remove the spark plug to check it, it looks dry with just light coat of black dust. Like carbon build up out something. I've also tried new plug with same results.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I have gotten many tips from these forums in the past thanks to everyone.

Thanks!

#2 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted February 25, 2015 - 10:49 PM

Welcome to GTTalk!

#3 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted February 25, 2015 - 11:45 PM

First off welcome to GTTalk! Glad you decided to join us! :thumbs:

After reading what you have done, I would think something is still wrong in the carb?

You can try spraying a little carb cleaner in the air intake and see if it tries to fire. If it does then you know you are not getting fuel from the carb to the engine.

If it doesn't fire at that point I would start looking at things like maybe a valve is stuck? or maybe there is a problem with a valve seat?

My gut is telling me that something is plugged in the carb though.

Good luck :thumbs:

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 brettm85 OFFLINE  

brettm85
  • 1 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted February 26, 2015 - 12:00 AM

Yeah, at this point it's like the gas isn't getting to the plug, there is suction while trying to manually choke it, but plug is always dry, and carb cleaner hasn't made difference, even carefully tried lil starting fluid, and nothing. Resealed the carb gaskets to weed out the thought of air leaks.

How do you go bout checking the valve seats? They both are moving, at least they where, and I have 120lbs pressure at the plug.

Thanks for the welcoming, and the assistance!
  • chris m said thank you

#5 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted February 26, 2015 - 12:43 AM

Hmmmm. If you are getting that high of a compression then your valve seats and piston rings are in great condition! I didn't even realize those Wisconsin's didn't have compression releases on them.

If you have good compression and you are getting a nice strong spark at your plug, then the only thing left would be a blockage in the carb.

Did you take the carb apart completely and soak it over night in a carb cleaner then blow the passages out?

When you sprayed carb cleaner or the starting fluid, did you close the choke? and where did you spray it?

• boyscout862 said thank you

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,770 Thanks
  • 7,537 posts

Posted February 26, 2015 - 01:14 AM

Welcome to GTT. There should be a trouble shooting guide in this manual:  http://gardentractor...-repair-manual/     Good Luck, Rick

#7 Leonard VanCamp OFFLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 235 Thanks
  • 196 posts

Posted February 26, 2015 - 01:51 AM

Does it have a Zenith carburetor on it? If so you might want to see about getting a carb rebuild kit (7-02031) from NAPA if you have one near you. It comes with new needle valves and seats, plus gaskets and anything else you might need. I just cleaned one up for a relative that looked like it hasn't been worked on in decades.

#8 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted February 26, 2015 - 07:38 AM

How are you checking for spark?

Are you taking the plug out and grounding it to the head and cranking the engine?

If so, it's possible that the plug is bad and won't spark under compression.

That's a fairly common problem and why you should use an inline tester for checking spark.

You should be able to find one at just about any auto parts store, and they are usually not all that expensive.

#9 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,494 posts

Posted February 26, 2015 - 07:45 AM

Welcome to GTTalk.  You said you are getting fire to the plug, but is it at the right time?  I could be that the timing is off just a little caused by a bad flywheel key.  If that part is OK then it has to be a fuel problem.  Those carb's are so precise that just a tiny speck of dirt in the wrong place can really effect their ability to run.  Good luck.

#10 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted February 26, 2015 - 08:01 AM

Like others have stated, put a shot of carb cleaner in the spark plug hole and if it fires up you have a carb problem, if it dosen't you have another issue.

Sounds like your compression release may be busted as well as there is no way these should hit 120 pounds with the compression release in them.

• Texas Deere and Horse and chris m have said thanks

#11 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,172 Thanks
  • 2,143 posts

Posted February 26, 2015 - 10:45 AM

These Wisconsin engines are very sensitive to ignition timing.

Did you set the points after the engine quit running?  ....If so, that may be your problem.  ....The best method is to set the points with a continuity light or tester. 

Lack of compression release will not prevent an engine from starting unless it causes the starter to spin the engine too slowly.

Black soot on the plug usually indicates rich fuel mixture, but modern gasoline causes plug reading to be different than yeras past.

If the carb is set correctly, it will run slightly rough (rich) with no load.  ...Since there is no accelerator pump on these carbs, the adjustment must be set slightly rich to allow the engine to speed up from an idle setting. 

• Texas Deere and Horse and chris m have said thanks

#12 brettm85 OFFLINE  

brettm85
  • 1 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted February 26, 2015 - 11:14 AM

I haven't adjusted the points, just checked the gap and it seemed right.
Didn't realize there was a compression release, how do I check that?

Timing was my next guess, thinking that when plowing possible I knocked something out of whack when unexpectedly ran into solid chunk of ice. But again I'm unfamiliar with checking timing on this, do I use the light? Or what's the easiest way to check that? How can I tell if the key is bad, is it just visible checking it or would there be slight slop in flywheel movement?

I did have the carb all tore apart, cleaned with cleaner and blew it all out, possible could look into rebuild kit tho if timing is not my issue. Gas I'd coming out of air intake side of carb though when continuously turning it over, do that makes me believe gas is getting through the jets, or is that thinking wrong?

Checked spark the old fashioned way, don't have inline tester, but again also bought new plug, maybe I'll pick up on those testers too though.

Thanks again everyone!

#13 brettm85 OFFLINE  

brettm85
  • 1 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted February 26, 2015 - 03:59 PM

Got rebuild kit for the carb on order. See if that helps and will also still try and check into the timing and compression release.

Thanks again

#14 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted February 26, 2015 - 04:05 PM

Compression release will have nothing to do with it running or not running so I wouldn't worry about that right now.

Have you tried a shot of carb cleaner down the sparkplug hole to see if it fires, that is a very easy way to tell where your problem lies.

When you said you checked the points did you clean them at all, like Bruce mentioned above it dosent take much to make the points not work on these engines, they have to be set precisely.

I would do the things  mentioned above before starting to replace things that may not be faulty at all........

#15 brettm85 OFFLINE  

brettm85
  • 1 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted February 26, 2015 - 07:38 PM

Have not tried carb cleaner in plug, but like I stated I've tried spraying starting fluid and nothing, and I put small amount of gas in plug hole, and that didn't seem to do anything. That's why I'm siding on the timing issue. Maybe put to much gas in there though...
But again, it was running, then parked it and now nothing. So I'm at a loss, all outta cleaner now, so gonna pick up more tomorrow, and can try that before taking things back off.

Thanks again!