Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Vote Now for Featured Tractor of the Month of April 2011!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
42 replies to this topic

Poll: Vote Now for Featured Tractor of the Month of April 2011! (65 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote Now for Featured Tractor of the Month of April 2011!

1. 1966 Massey MF10 (18 votes [27.69%])

Percentage of vote: 27.69%

2. Snapper 1855 (8 votes [12.31%])

Percentage of vote: 12.31%

3. 1966 Sears Suburban (10 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

4. Struck Mini Dozer (20 votes [30.77%])

Percentage of vote: 30.77%

5. 1973 Wheel Horse Auto 14 (9 votes [13.85%])

Percentage of vote: 13.85%

Vote

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 01, 2011 - 11:02 AM

Voting for GTtalk Featured Tractor of the Month for the month of April has now officially started and will end the last day of March.

The winner will be featured on the front page for the entire month of April starting on the 1st of the month and will be in our featured tractors section for infinity :D

We will start new nominations at the same time as well so keep an eye out on this forum to know when to submit a nomination or vote.

Here is a list of the nominees in no special order:

• 1966 Massey Ferguson MF10 - DH1
  • Snapper 1855 - coldone
  • 1966 Sears Suburban - thecraftsmankid
  • Struck Mini Dozer - Gtractor
  • 1973 Wheel Horse Auto 14 - texas deere and horse

Before voting please be sure to check out all the entries in the posts below. :D

Please remember that the winning tractor cannot be nominated again for a full year. Thanks and good luck!

#2 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted March 04, 2011 - 01:42 PM

I nominate my 1966 Massey MF10
I got this tractor a while ago bought it unseen for parts, when I went to pick it up discovered some different features and after researching it found out that it was first year production for the MF10s, 12s. Decided that it was one to keep and fix up for myself. The more I got into it the more I found out about it. So it was tested to find out what was good and what wasn't. Then disassembled, cleaned, and fixed whatever I found wrong with it.
One part that was broken when I took it off was the steering wheel and to this day I still do not have a really good replacement one for it. Another part that I wanted for it was the aluminum nose ring that came on the early 66 models, that part I was able to find thanks to a fellow GTtalk member.
It was all painted and new decals put on and is now a good working tractor. I have an engine rebuild kit for it to be put in shortly, the engine runs OK just has a rod knock in it. Also I have 2 sets of narrow rear wheels for it, turfs and AGs. This tractor will probably get babied alot as it's the nicest one I have, but it is capable of doing what ever they could do when it was brand new.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11039[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]11041[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]11042[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]11046[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]11047[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]11048[/ATTACH]

There is a thread and an article on this tractor here at GTtalk, tells the full story.

Attached Thumbnails

• 66 MF10 014..jpg
  • 66 MF10 041..jpg
  • 66 MF10 002..jpg
  • 66 MF10 016.jpg
  • 66 MF10 089.jpg
  • 66 MF10 018.jpg

#3 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted March 05, 2011 - 07:24 AM

I will through my hat into the ring.

I started off with a Sears Suburban 12 and implements about 3 years ago. I did my first garden with this setup and got addicted to Garden tractors because of it. I was looking around on craigslist and ebay for something else to pop up that i just had to have. A firend and i were talking one day and i told him that i was looking for more GTs, he told me about one he had seen at another persons house. He said it was a Snapper, i did not know at the time snapper made GTs, so we went and looked at it. Well it was love at first site. We left and got his trailer and my suburban so we could pull the snapper out of the barn and onto the trailer. We rushed back and I gave the guy what he wanted for it and loaded up. We got it to my house and unloaded it down at my little shop. I put a little gas in the tank and pulled the battery out of the suburban to put into the snapper. I hit the key and she fired right up and drove herself up the ramp and into the shop.

All the sheet metal came off for cleaning and painting, The original engine had been changed out to a Kohler 18 Magnum by the PO, the oil in it was still fresh. I found a three point hitch on ebay and installed that on it. I put new tires all the way around. I built new lower lift arms that would fit my Sears implements. I have tried several different top links to find the right combination for tractor and implements. I finally have everything working in harmony now. I also got the original mowing deck and i am rebuilding it at this time. I use this tractor every chance I get. It Pulls like a mule and purrs like a kitten. It has taken a while for me to get everything working like its supposed to but now that i have she is my favorite. She always cranks up and does what i ask of her. This was my first attempt at painting so its a worker and not a looker.

I will get some action shots today.

Attached Thumbnails

• th_DSCF1912.jpg
  • th_DSCF1897.jpg
  • DSCF1895.jpg
  • th_DSCF1968.jpg
  • th_DSCF1969.jpg
  • th_DSCF1967.jpg

• Rozwell Ranch said thank you

#4 Deck_Drive OFFLINE  

Deck_Drive

collector of sears

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 736
  • 96 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted March 05, 2011 - 02:49 PM

I nominate my 1966 sears suburban 12.

I got this tractor last year in trade for a vangard V twin. When I got it one tire was flate it had the wrong S/G on it and didnt have any spark.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]11099[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]11100[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]11101[/ATTACH] A few months later I had it running after putting a new automotive style coil on it. After that, it was a battery ignition and I couldnt run it very long otherwise it would loose spark. So, I started on the hunt for a GOOD S/G and I found one in the hands of a fellow member. He gave me a GREAT deal on the S/G and I got it a few weeks after.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]11102[/ATTACH]
About 2 months after I bought a 1967 sears custom. I then built a plow for the custom. I didnt like the way the custom handled the plow so, I started on a project to make the plow fit the suburban. Since the suburban didnt have a frame mounted lift for a deck ect I had to make my own. It took all of ONE night and I had made the lift. It now works GREAT! It is a 48in dozer blade from the junk yard.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]11095[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]11096[/ATTACH]

Is that long enough?

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCI0079.jpg
  • DSCI0078.jpg
  • DSCI0650.jpg
  • sears 1.jpg
  • DSCI0649.jpg
  • DSCI0060.jpg

#5 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted March 05, 2011 - 05:22 PM

Yep, sure can. Non-winning tractors can be entered as often as you like, providing there aren't any "special" requirements for that month's competition.

All right then ... I want to re-submit this one that was originally submitted by Gtractor back in February.
I like little crawlers and I think he did an excellent job on this one and it has an interesting story that goes along with it.

This is my Struck Minidozer. It was made somewhere around 1970, but the actual year is unclear. Originally it had a seven
horsepower Techumseh engine with rope start. The dozer was inside a building that caught fire and burnt to the ground. You can imagine what happened to the aluminum block Techumseh in that fire.
A fellow by the name of Robert Gattenby from Harrisonville, MO saw the burned shell and decided it would be fun to resurect the little dozer but improve on its design. He bought all new shafts, pulleys, and bearings from Struck and started the rebuilding process. This was in 1981. His choice of engine was a fourteen horsepower Kohler with electric start. The Kohler and its battery wouldn't fit inside the chassis so he added a hood of his own design to cover the new options. Robert was 71 years old in 1981 and decided he didn't want a manual lift to tug on so he also added two way hydraulics. He made a bucket for the front and a ripper lift for the back, although he never made the ripper.
I met Mr. Gattenby in 2004 when he was 94 years young and he decided it was time to part with his little toy. His health was failing and he wanted to know his prized possession was going to be left in good hands. I bought the Struck from him just as you see it here. I have used it very little in the time that I have owned it, mostly taking it to shows. It does have plenty of power and traction to push dirt around. The biggest project I have used it for was to push dirt around my house to improve drainage and keep rain water out of the basement.
Robert Gattenby passed away in 2005.

Attachment 9092 Attachment 9091

Posted Image Attached Thumbnails http://gardentractor...uck-dozer2-jpg/ http://gardentractor...ruck-dozer-jpg/

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 06, 2011 - 12:04 AM

I am going to throw my Daily work horse in the mix.

This is the tractor that got me into collecting Gt's. It is a 1973 Auto 14 Wheel Horse, with a 14hp Kohler K3212S and Sunstrand Hydro drive, that I bought from my uncle in 2002. I grew up with Wheel Horse, but never had 1 of my own, most of the yards I had early on, were to small for a Gt. It's in it"s work clothes and I hope to restore it when I get the time. I use this tractor mowing and puling a yard cart around about 10 months a year and it has always been very reliable for me. I never thought I would want a Hydro, but I love the fact that I don't have to use a clutch going from forward to reverse.
I own a lot of different tractors now and have owned over a hundred that I have sold or parted out, but I think this will always be a favorite of mine, just because it was the first one I owned. I hope to put a Hydraulic lift on it soon, I have one on the shelve for it, I also want to change out the dash tower, so I can have the hydro lever on the dash instead of between my legs. She has a few scratches and bruises, but she has earned every scar she has on her.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11133[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]11134[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]11135[/ATTACH]

Attached Thumbnails

• auto14 3.jpg
  • auto14 2.jpg
  • auto14 3.jpg

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 10, 2011 - 06:57 PM

Alright gang, let the voting begin :D

#8 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 10, 2011 - 07:07 PM

This is going to be hard to choose this month,they're all good ones.

#9 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted March 10, 2011 - 08:22 PM

Since they are all great tractors, maybe some action shots will help my 1855. :D

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF2283.jpg
  • DSCF2282.jpg
  • DSCF2280.jpg

#10 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 10, 2011 - 09:11 PM

Since they are all great tractors, maybe some action shots will help my 1855. :D

I gotta update the poll. I wasn't sure if it was a 1655 or a 1855 as you didn't have it in your paragraph. I will get it updated.

#11 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 10, 2011 - 09:13 PM

It is going to be very hard to choose. They are all great tractors. I might sit on my decision for a little while :D

#12 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1978
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted March 10, 2011 - 10:20 PM

This was one tough vote for me!!! A lot of nice tractors.:worshippy1::worshippy1::worshippy1:

#13 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted March 11, 2011 - 06:58 AM

Another month with great tractors to pick from. Hard to vote for just one but I got my vote in.

#14 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted March 12, 2011 - 06:55 AM

My vote is in.

#15 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey