Fantastic workmanship on those covers.
  • rumbleseat said thank you

#107 rumbleseat OFFLINE  

rumbleseat
  • Member No: 67709
  • 124 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted May 28, 2015 - 09:33 AM

I haven't had much time to work on my 800 and things have slowed.  Have thought about selling it but changed my mind, just couldn't do it.

I did learn the hard way that grease or gasket sealant is needed (or is a good idea) on the bottom transmission plate gasket.  When I serviced it a few months back, I just put the gasket in dry and bolted everything back up.  About a month later, I had a slow drip out the left side.  Tried snugging up the bolts even more, but it did no good and I ended up snapping/breaking one of the split washers on one of the bolts.  I ended up draining the oil and replacing the gasket with another new one, this time adding some gasket sealant on both sides of the gasket before bolting the bottom plate back in.  Now it's all good.  I used Permatex gasket sealant instead of plain grease, but upon inspection, the Permatex is the same consistency of axel grease, not a slippery though.

The tractor is running, but still only with the choke on.  I have to get it sorted so I can enjoy it.

#108 rumbleseat OFFLINE  

rumbleseat
  • 124 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted June 04, 2015 - 11:12 PM

I pulled the rebuilt carb off, went through it with the old manual next to me and adjusted the float.  Put it all back together, she fired right up and I am in business.  Took a cruise from back to front, down the street a bit and then back to the shed.  She ran good.

My neighbor came out and told me I needed to put a muffler on it.  It has a muffler on it, that's the best part.

I'll be pulling the rims and tires off next to start stripping them and mounting some new tires.

#109 rumbleseat OFFLINE  

rumbleseat
  • 124 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted June 10, 2015 - 01:23 PM

Took the 800 out for a spin today and noticed I could not get it into gear at dead stop without grinding the gears.  If I disengaged the ider pulley for the speed selector, I could get it in gear. But then, I would have to let the clutch out, then engage the drive belt to get going without any grinding.  I parked it and crawled underneath to look at the clutch.  Not really sure what it is supposed to look like, but here is a picture of the clutch with the clutch/brake pedal pressed. There is a free spinning disk sandwiched in between the front and rear clutch plates.  Is it supposed to be like that or did my clutch pad(s) come loose?

If I do need a new clutch, can someone point me in the right direction for any instructions on the process? Thanks again.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20150610_105957663.jpg

#110 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted June 10, 2015 - 05:15 PM

Clutch disc has separated from the pulley, it should not affect the stoppage of the clutch though , Does your 800 have the brake drum just below the shift lever?

The early ones did not have a drum and were known for this problem.

• rumbleseat and steamer936 have said thanks

#111 rumbleseat OFFLINE  

rumbleseat
  • 124 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted June 10, 2015 - 07:05 PM

No, no brake drum. It just has the small pad that contacts the drive drum bushing to the rear.

I guess I will just do the routine I've been doing then? (Drive pulley/belt disengaged, clutch in, shift, clutch out, engage belt). It's the only way it doesn't grind.

How big of a job is the clutch disc repair?? Instructions easy to find or the parts??

Edited by rumbleseat, June 10, 2015 - 07:06 PM.

#112 rumbleseat OFFLINE  

rumbleseat
  • 124 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted October 28, 2015 - 03:39 PM

Well, I haven't been in here in some time as my progress has ground to a halt.  The engine is running good but the clutch is now the problem. It think I have to buy new discs and re-do the clutch. It slows the tractor down when clutch/brake is pushed in but does not stop the drive.  Not sure exactly what parts I need to fix it other than the clutch disks. I guess I'll find out when I get around to diving into it. :wtf:

#113 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted October 28, 2015 - 04:05 PM

Most of your issues will be resolved adding a brake drum to the rear , I just did that on my Bolens 900 so I was able to use it again , most parts can still be had for them, only thing I had to fab was weld a single tab on the brake lever arm to attach the brake drum linkage

http://gardentractor...0-back-to-life/

• rumbleseat and steamer936 have said thanks

#114 Chubien ONLINE  

Chubien
  • Member No: 61561
  • 605 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted October 28, 2015 - 05:12 PM

I just realized reading this that I'm the one that bought those throttle and choke lever covers on eBay that you fabricated, saving them for the restore project coming up. They're nice!

Good luck with your 800 project
  • rumbleseat said thank you