I changed the belts today......whew! What a job. I followed the thread that shows how to do it in this forum.
I removed the large nut on the drive shaft. Apparently it hadn't moved in years and took all I had to get it loose. Once that was off, i took out the four bolts located on each side of the cover and slid the front cover off. While it was off, I changed out the drive shaft bearing. I loosened the belt guides next to the engine pulley too. I already had the battery and battery tray out of it (to clean up where the old battery spilled) so it made it easy to get the belt up from the bottom and onto the engine pulley. So to install the belts, I started with the PTO and slid it up from the bottom onto the engine pulley. Next was the high speed and then low speed belts. I didn't have to remove any engine mounts.
I then did everything in reverse to button it back up.
I had a bit of trouble getting the cover back on/over the drive shaft and getting everything to line up. I ended up loosening the new bearing and belt guard nuts that are on that cover, then everything slid back on a little easier. Once on, everything was checked for clearances and wrenched down good. While tightening the bottom belt guard on the PTO though , the ratchet slipped and I busted my knuckles good on the belt cover------------( Warning: bloody photo below). It was the last thing I was tightening.
I also replaced some old crispy wiring. I cleaned up the spilled battery acid, put the battery tray and battery back in and once all that was done, I went to start her up and the now the starter belt was slipping. I adjusted the starter belt tension, she fired up and I took her for spin. I noticed that if I throttled up, she would spit and sputter and want to cut out. I think my next rebuild is the carburetor and a fuel line replacement.
I am glad the job is done, having never done it before, it was a bit of a chore.