• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#16 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 7,057 Thanks
  • 3,658 posts

Posted March 08, 2015 - 02:15 PM

We kept African Cichlids for the time it took them to finally kill each other off! Still have the survivor of the "two year war" in his own tank in the cat room as entertainment for Fred and Opi when they are incarcerated for the night--- long story you don't want to hear, lol. Africans do best with lots of holes and structure to hide and play in, and are better with lots of fish in what seems crowded conditions--- the fewer the fish, the more territorial they seem to get. They are beautiful and interesting, we too loved the variety of colours, but it was a real challenge keeping peace. It helped if we changed the décor in the tank every week or two, kept them from developing a protective attitude to a given structure. Currently I have a 35gal. tank of mixed tetras, the solitary African in a 12gal. tank for the cats to watch, and a 100 gal. stock tank downstairs for the pond goldfish to winter in.

• IamSherwood and TAHOE have said thanks

#17 cumberland OFFLINE  

cumberland
  • Member No: 59791
  • 26 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted March 08, 2015 - 02:31 PM

It's better to crowd the tank. It makes any one fish less of a target. Try to stay with similar size fish. Provide plenty of hiding places too. Not sure if it matters if they're from Africa or South America.

Edited by cumberland, March 08, 2015 - 02:34 PM.

• oldedeeres and TAHOE have said thanks

#18 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,152 Thanks
  • 5,266 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 11:46 AM

Well, decided against the Africans. Going to sell or trade in the Oscars and go all community planted tank. Maybe some Austrailian Rainbows, few Angels, and other fish I know how to manage. Going to try some live plants too, that's new for me, been doing a lot of research :thumbs: I want a nice tank but also need it to be lower maintenance.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#19 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,936 Thanks
  • 3,017 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 12:39 PM

I missed this thread Marty. Back when my wife & I first got married we bought a 15 gallon tank not knowing anything about the hobby. Remember Swallens, well we went their & bought about two of most of what they had. It was beautiful at first then about 20 minutes of viewing it looked like WWIII broke out. Most of these fish were not compatible to say the least. Well after the action & clean up was over we went out to eat & came back & our Hatchet fish were laying out on the carpet & looked like dried anchovies. We learned a lot after that.

I eventually got seriously into raising Fancy Tail Guppies. My favorites were the Tiger Tails & the Split Tails especially watching them show off in front of the females. I never showed them but I sold some to a few of the pet stores. It's another good hobby especially with kids. 

I never heard of some of the fish your talking about, I'll have to Google them to see what they look like. A nice tank can be interesting to just watch. Keep us posted  :thumbs:

• IamSherwood, oldedeeres and TAHOE have said thanks

#20 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 7,152 Thanks
  • 5,266 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 06:25 PM

Oh man Jim, I lived at Swallens after I got my License in High School, well, mainly the lower floor. I kept busy between the go fast  hot rod parts and they had a great fish section.

I have had mostly community over the years, but dip my toe into Oscars every 8-10 yrs or so even though I know I will have to get rid of them. The African Cichlids are gorgeous because of the colors, next best thing to salt water, but I am not going to have the size tank needed and really need just a nice tank that is lower maintenance at the moment. 

Check out KG tropicals on youtube, John has some killer Africans. 

My son and I may go in together on a new pet soon. i.e. gets about 5-7 feet long and slithers  :D  so the fish tank will be a side hobby  :thumbs:

Edited by TAHOE, March 14, 2015 - 06:29 AM.

• oldedeeres and Sawdust have said thanks

#21 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

--Crazy about GTTalk-- 'sort of'

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 10,958 Thanks
  • 8,381 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 08:31 PM

My son and I may go in together on a new pet soon. i.e. gets about 5-7 feet long and slithers . . .

What is her name? Brandi? :thumbs:

• TAHOE said thank you

#22 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 7,152 Thanks
  • 5,266 posts

Posted March 14, 2015 - 06:30 AM

What is her name? Brandi? :thumbs:

Haha, I am happily (  :smilewink: ) married and son is 17, neither of us need anything like that!!!

It will be a male anyway, they stay smaller. 

• Sawdust said thank you

#23 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,958 Thanks
  • 8,381 posts

Posted March 19, 2015 - 09:26 AM

Does anyone use moss balls? They are supposed to help take up excess nutrients that help cause unwanted algae. I am concerned that Plecos may just eat the things.

#24 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 7,152 Thanks
  • 5,266 posts

Posted March 19, 2015 - 12:01 PM

I wanted to at one time, they are like$7-8 per ball :wallbanging:

If I go planted, I may order my plants from Dustin at www.Dustinsfishtanks.com

• LilysDad said thank you

#25 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,705 Thanks
  • 1,147 posts

Posted March 19, 2015 - 12:04 PM

I add some hydrilla and a gallon of lake water to my tank in the shop. Snails magically appear in a week or two and keep the tank clean all summer and it gives the fish something to eat too

#26 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 7,152 Thanks
  • 5,266 posts

Posted March 19, 2015 - 12:18 PM

I have small snails in my smaller tank. I can always tell if I am over feeding the fish, seems they "bloom" and the tank is covered.

#27 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,936 Thanks
  • 3,017 posts

Posted March 19, 2015 - 01:53 PM

I used algae eaters that kept the sides of the tank clean. When the AE get to be adults if they don't have enough food they can get aggressive towards the fish. I used the little cat fish for bottom feeders.

#28 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 7,152 Thanks
  • 5,266 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 08:44 AM

Guess this is another thread I need to update. I ended up selling my Oscars, bought 5 large angels (lost 3) from a local breeder and went with a dirted-live planted tank. My first attempt at dirt was a major fail, I listened to a local guy who was experienced and it didn't work for me. I had my dirt layer too thick, as it built up gases, I got volcanic explosions, whole tank looked like dirty river. I did a complete tear down late June, then started over usind a dirt/sand min for base wit sand cap. Finally got tank kind of how I want, planted, low tech, no CO2, etc. Found out my Clown loaches love to eat plants so they are in turtle pond and rainbow shark digs out the sand, he got booted too. I need some more plants and may go with a school of cardinal tetras and need some Otos or snails to clean algae, but here it is now. First pic is with blue lights on, second is without.

20150901_193738.jpg
20150901_193810.jpg

#29 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,958 Thanks
  • 8,381 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 11:34 AM

I lost most of my fish last winter while we were in Virginia. I used feeders just like the 2-3 years before that. I suspect the electricity went off. Lost the bristle nose pleco and two angels. The only thing that lived were green cories. I've replaced all and we're good.

I have found that removing bog wood from the tank has reduced(not eliminated) my green hair algae problem.

I hate my Marineland outside filters! Noisy, dirt, expensive to recharge. Pet shops used to sell charcoal and filter floss cheap. Now they sell special cartridges that only fit one brand and cost way too much.

#30 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 7,152 Thanks
  • 5,266 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 11:52 AM

That's one thing I was sold on with the planted tank, even if electric goes off for a bit, I can manually move water and the plants help keep the parameters in check. Granted a few days off then I may have trouble once my bacteria start dying or if I am gone then that is a problem. 

I had a few HOB filters with cartridges and yep, those cartridges are expensive. I now buy a bag of polyester pillow stuffing and use it as filter floss, I'm not big on carbon anymore. I also buy new floor buffing pads to use as larger particle filters, cut to size and slide them in. Home Dropout sells square pads in their rental section that work great. I have also seen guys use the bilk furnace filter material as filter pads. I try to run a separate filter with some type of biological media, love my K1 moving filter.

I am in process of making a new canister filter for the indoor pond, my bucket filter cracked at the bulkhead.

• LilysDad and oldedeeres have said thanks