TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted February 25, 2015 - 09:41 AM

No, I don't care what your sign is, not aquarius, , but those who keep fish :D

I have a freshwater tank now, 46 gal bowfront with 2 good size Oscars and a convict. I am plannng to get rid of them and go a different direction, the oscars are getting too big and eating like horses. I really would love African cichlids, but after doing some research, my smaller tank isn't really suited for those. Some recommend it's okay if I go with just a breeding pair of a smaller Mbunas or such, but I want a tank of fish, not just a couple. I would keep the Oscars or just get a couple more convicts if that was the case. I like the Africans cause of the colors and I like the aggressiveness, but don't seem to fit my conditions tank wise.

any suggestions from experiences?

Maybe just throw a bunch of silver dollars, few angels, some gouramis and make it a big community tank?

Here is my tank now.

fish tank 3.jpg

fish tank 2.jpg

• Alc, tinbender7, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted February 25, 2015 - 09:54 AM

Where's my pole?

• tinbender7, WNYTractorTinkerer and HANKG have said thanks

#3 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,315 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted February 25, 2015 - 10:01 AM

I have a 27 flat back hex that I never set back up when we moved 11 years ago. I did the community tank thing for 15 years. It gets expensive trying to fill a big tank with $10 fish to make it look right. Then one of the fish you just bought brings in a fungus and wipes the whole thing out and you have to start over. I never did like cleaning the thing anyway. GTs are much easier to keep.

• tinbender7 and TAHOE have said thanks

#4 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,887 Thanks
  • 2,793 posts

Posted February 25, 2015 - 11:53 AM

Where's my pole?

Fry pan yum

• tinbender7 said thank you

#5 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,887 Thanks
  • 2,793 posts

Posted February 25, 2015 - 12:04 PM

I used to buy fish that were natural combatants like fire mouths and Danio me and my sick friends would bet who would be around at the end of the week. There was blood in the water, the fish store guy was on to me and would give me the evil eye when I came in.

#6 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted February 25, 2015 - 12:05 PM

Where's my pole?

no need, I hand feed them, they take food right out of my fingers. You could reach in and grab one.  :thumbs:

#7 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,646 Thanks
  • 7,675 posts

Posted February 25, 2015 - 12:31 PM

I have a 75 gal. planted tank w/ Amazon swords. Large pleco and a few angels. This winter when I got home, the heater had died and so did the fish, except three Cory cats.

• TAHOE said thank you

#8 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted February 25, 2015 - 01:02 PM

Yes, the hobby can be a money pit, but nice when running smooth.

We did it abut 30 years ago. Eventually worked up to a 110 gal tank, and

a couple smaller ones for the breeding Cichlids. You do need a fair size tank

if you want any sort of variety of cichlids. Because they're very territorial, they're

is always a fight going on somewhere, especially if you get one of red devils.

I don't recall exactly how many we had in the tank, but with a 45 gal tank, I

think if you put more than 8 or so in there, you'll be looking at wounded fish.

If you want lots of fish, stick to the angels and such. And if you really

want to blow the budget, try salt water fish in a small tank. Don't

ask how I know. :wallbanging:

#9 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted February 25, 2015 - 01:10 PM

Yes, the hobby can be a money pit, but nice when running smooth.

We did it abut 30 years ago. Eventually worked up to a 110 gal tank, and

a couple smaller ones for the breeding Cichlids. You do need a fair size tank

if you want any sort of variety of cichlids. Because they're very territorial, they're

is always a fight going on somewhere, especially if you get one of red devils.

I don't recall exactly how many we had in the tank, but with a 45 gal tank, I

think if you put more than 8 or so in there, you'll be looking at wounded fish.

If you want lots of fish, stick to the angels and such. And if you really

want to blow the budget, try salt water fish in a small tank. Don't

ask how I know. :wallbanging:

unfortunately for my wants, that's a lot of what I've been reading. I can get away with a small clutch of the same species, but they still may fight etc. Would ove a big tank, just no room in new house so stuck with what I got. Lucky my wife is letting me keep it :D

I may just go with a big community tank, I've had those off/on for 30 yrs or so I have a little experience :thumbs: .

I tried the salt water thing many years ago, it was saltwater when we bought the tank. After about 4-5 months and losing fish, I decided to trade them in before I lost them all and went back to freshwater.

These Oscars are beautiful but they eat like mad and are super messy and have about outgrown the tank. I knew better when i got them, but threw caution to the wind. I have added a DIY undergravel jet system which helps old food from lying in gravel and spoiling. My next project will be an under the tank sump w/K1 moving bed and a DIY overflow. Not happy with performance of the Fluval 305 canister on it now.

• LilysDad said thank you

#10 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,315 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted February 25, 2015 - 01:19 PM

That brings back fun memories trying to buy filter media for an external filter. Make a special trip to town to get filters only to find they are sold out or buy the ones you think fit and a few boxes extra so you dont have to make another trip, only to find out you got the wrong size and lost the receipt.

The biggest reason I quit the fish thing was I stopped shopping at walmart and the nearest pet store was 25 miles away.

I have a 15 gallon in the shop I toss a 4" bass or crappie in during the spring so I can watch them eat june bugs

#11 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted February 25, 2015 - 02:50 PM

Are Fish people and hobbie a disease too?  You gather and gather, soon no room, wife doesn't like when you buy them, hard to find "parts" for when going bad. BUT, much easier to get out of that hobbie I bet........or is it?   I was gonna say "frypan" too, but couple guy's beat me to it, ha!  Fish in big tanks can be beautiful, but too much upkeep and cost for me. Can't exactly take them out for walk and play with them and such, hee!

#12 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted February 25, 2015 - 03:33 PM

Are Fish people and hobbie a disease too?  You gather and gather, soon no room, wife doesn't like when you buy them, hard to find "parts" for when going bad. BUT, much easier to get out of that hobbie I bet........or is it?   I was gonna say "frypan" too, but couple guy's beat me to it, ha!  Fish in big tanks can be beautiful, but too much upkeep and cost for me. Can't exactly take them out for walk and play with them and such, hee!

Yeah it can be. I got lucky though, the complete setup in my pic was giving to me by an old college buddy a few years ago, I bet it was a $5-600 setup. Thanks to the DIY community, I build or scrounge up all my filter stuff, build it or get stuff cheap. My sump filter will cost what I have in the K1 media and about $15-20 in PVC pipe and fittings, I have all the rest.

The new fish are going to be the cost this time around. Once up and running, just like putting in  gas and doing oil changes :thumbs:

#13 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted February 25, 2015 - 04:41 PM

I had an African chiclid tank for awhile. They need room to hide. They only get along sometimes. Usually a pecking order. They are cool fish but you have to watch them.

#14 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,646 Thanks
  • 7,675 posts

Posted February 25, 2015 - 05:48 PM

I have added a DIY undergravel jet system which helps old food from lying in gravel and spoiling. My next project will be an under the tank sump w/K1 moving bed and a DIY overflow. Not happy with performance of the Fluval 305 canister on it now.

I have avoided a lot of issues with my tank by planting plants and understocking with fish. Plants won't tolerate Africans, so I stick with a South American tank. Plecos, Angels, and tetras. I have had several Fluvals. They just don't last a long time before seals start leaking. And the price has gone way up. I don't use floss, just biological filtration. My last filters I switched to Marineland Penguins. I'm really not happy with those. They are noisy and the cost of filter pads is a rip off. I wish I could just build my own canister filter.

But, my real enemy is . . .   Green Hair Algae!!!

#15 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted February 26, 2015 - 09:06 AM

I have been doing all DIY stuff as of late. I am going to build one of these moving bed filters under my tank soon. I will have some mechanical filters on inlet, then the K1 moving, stuff is great for biological filtering. I have a small going now inside tthat clay drain pipe in tank.
I love watching this guy, he's great. He also shows on one video how to build a small canister with PVC. I built a drum filter for my pond, works great.

• LilysDad said thank you