Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Need help with simplicity Broadmoor

simplicity garden tractor tractor lawnmower lawn mower vowing v-twin briggs and stratton 16hp

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 nlpoole OFFLINE  

nlpoole
  • Member No: 67865
  • 6 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted February 24, 2015 - 09:27 PM

Hey guys I don't really know where to start so I'll just jump in...

Two years ago I bought a simplicity broadmoor lawn tractor with a 16HP vanguard v-twin in it. It worked fine for about 30-40 hours then started losing power so I took it to a repair shop to see what was wrong with it. Turns out one of the coils were shot... $200 later works a bit better but still has power loss and when I say power loss I mean takes along time to throttle up and when mower deck in engaged engine almost stalls out and will slowly rev up again but not to top hp or will stall completely. Also when I start driving it puts a big load on the engine and revs down alot!

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I NEED this mower for the up coming season!
I know there is something wrong because when I got it it it had no problems and had ALOT more power and I could cut 4 ft high grass now I'm lucky to cut half a foot without it stalling!

Some information on the engine is here:
Model number: 303777
Type: 1111-A1
Code: 16010911
16hp v-twin vanguard by Briggs and Stratton

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 24, 2015 - 09:41 PM

Welcome to the forum!

First of all.  Is this a new tractor as of two years ago?  If so, Vanguards have a three year warranty.  Go see your local Briggs dealer and let them straighten this dude out.

Sounds to me like it is still only hitting on one cylinder.  You might check your spark on both sides, and then take the valve covers off and check for a bent push rod.  These engines like to do blow out push rods when they get a chance.

Ben W.

• CRFarnsworth, boyscout862 and nlpoole have said thanks

#3 nlpoole OFFLINE  

nlpoole
  • 6 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted February 24, 2015 - 09:46 PM

Welcome to the forum!

First of all.  Is this a new tractor as of two years ago?  If so, Vanguards have a three year warranty.  Go see your local Briggs dealer and let them straighten this dude out.

Sounds to me like it is still only hitting on one cylinder.  You might check your spark on both sides, and then take the valve covers off and check for a bent push rod.  These engines like to do blow out push rods when they get a chance.

Ben W.

No this is not a new tractor it is from around 99 and it has spark on both cylinders and just had valve covers off today and rods look fine.. Is this whole engine is starting to confuse me..
  • boyscout862 and superaben have said thanks

#4 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted February 24, 2015 - 09:52 PM

Welcome to GTT.  Check to see if you are getting enough fuel to the carburetor and if you are then you may need to pull the carburetor and give it a good clean.

• CRFarnsworth, boyscout862 and nlpoole have said thanks

#5 nlpoole OFFLINE  

nlpoole
  • 6 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted February 24, 2015 - 09:54 PM

Welcome to GTT.  Check to see if you are getting enough fuel to the carburetor and if you are then you may need to pull the carburetor and give it a good clean.

Thanks I'll check that tomorrow and let you know!
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#6 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,802 Thanks
  • 7,542 posts

Posted February 24, 2015 - 10:51 PM

Welcome to GTT. You can download the B&S shop manual from our Manuals Section. They are well written and have good troubleshooting guides. Good Luck, Rick

• nlpoole said thank you

#7 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted February 24, 2015 - 11:09 PM

Definatly sounds like she is running lean, cant get enough fuel when the govenor calls for it when the PTO comes online.  Had this issue with my Sunstar I had that ran a Vanguard. A good carb cleaning and picking the jets clean with a fine piece of wire solved that issue.  I would replace the fuel filter while your at it.  Get the good version that has the pleated filter material and a clear housing you can see thru.   Mike

• CRFarnsworth, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#8 TimW OFFLINE  

TimW
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10778
  • 367 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted February 25, 2015 - 07:57 AM

I ran into a similar issue on a the same tractor.  It would run rough with low power  and puff black smoke under load.  The previous owner was blaming bad gas and said the dealer had messed with it several times.  This sounds simple, but it sure fixed the problem in the one I had.  Somehow, there were some issues with the Vanguards not having enough air flow thru the air filter set up.  It was choking out the engine.  I think there were issues with the size of air filter.  Anyhow, when I ran it with the filter removed, it ran like a top.  I bought a new filter and left the pre filter off and it is still running fine to this day.  Just a thought, pull the filter and see it that changes anything.  Also, you may have fouled out the plugs so be sure they are good also.  

• KennyP, CRFarnsworth, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#9 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted February 25, 2015 - 10:03 AM

My neighbor had a Troy Built with the same motor. Had to take it to the shop and have the cam replaced. Briggs would cover the cost of the cam and any parts but not labor. Cost him around $200 to get it done. After that he had no confidence in it so he gave it to his brother and bought a Zero turn with a Kohler in it. Since having the cam replaced there has been no problem with it.      Good luck.                                                                                               Roger

• HDWildBill and nlpoole have said thanks

#10 nlpoole OFFLINE  

nlpoole
  • 6 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted February 26, 2015 - 11:03 AM

Welcome to the forum!

First of all. Is this a new tractor as of two years ago? If so, Vanguards have a three year warranty. Go see your local Briggs dealer and let them straighten this dude out.

Sounds to me like it is still only hitting on one cylinder. You might check your spark on both sides, and then take the valve covers off and check for a bent push rod. These engines like to do blow out push rods when they get a chance.

Ben W.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: simplicity, garden tractor, tractor, lawnmower, lawn, mower, vowing, v-twin, briggs and stratton, 16hp