• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,109 Thanks
  • 3,200 posts

Posted February 24, 2015 - 09:37 PM

140.00 here for a cord 8x4x4 in 8' lengths, is the last I saw here, so blocked is much more and blocked and split is even more. Noel.

#32 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,561 Thanks
  • 3,941 posts

Posted February 24, 2015 - 10:22 PM

I just heard today that it is bringing around 175$ for a pickup load. Which is usually about a half cord. Almost makes heating oil prices not seem bad.

#33 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 25, 2015 - 07:57 AM

With heating oil down this year it's not as big a savings to burn wood as it was last year but you are probably still ahead. You really have to watch what you are buying. There is some other designation of a cord that gets used here and it's 110cuft. So it's like 20% less than the normal cord. Just another way for some vendors to take advantage of people. I think this February has been one of the coldest and most miserable months ever here but if memory serves last winter was longer and colder in Dec. and Jan than this year. February is kicking our butts real bad. More snow and then rain followed by a quick freeze today. 

It's really hard on seniors.Yesterday a few of the ladies from our church, including my wife, got together and made up some meals to deliver to folks who are ill, elderly or otherwise in need. We delivered to 3 places on the way home and at 2 of them the driveway was barely passable. There is maybe 3 feet of snow everywhere and the snowbanks are higher and hard as rock. One lady hadn't been out of her house in 2 weeks and is relying on neighbours to get her groceries. There is no change in the weather in the forecast yet so we are going to keep in touch with these folks and help where we can. 

• MH81, IamSherwood, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks