#16 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,925 posts

Posted February 24, 2015 - 01:35 PM

He should of taken the $600 offer. If he wants $800, then he should break out the wrenches and flat rate boxes.
  • dthomp17 said thank you

#17 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted February 24, 2015 - 07:11 PM

How far is he from you? If you're up for a road trip, hook up the trailer, hit the ATM and go see them. You need to look at them in person anyway. $ 500 in cash beats six on the phone. The last Suburbans I bought the seller told me he had a better offer over the phone. I responded with I'm here with cash now. After a little silence I thanked him for his time and started walking to my truck. Then my offer looked a lot better. It was kind of an a-hole move, but more Suburbans come up for sell everyday.

Remind him that there's no plows and they will cost you 125 each(really 75 each) to make your tractor useful.

Even if you don't make a deal, you will have a better picture of what's out there versus asking prices and you still have your money.

Good luck.

#18 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2987
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted February 24, 2015 - 08:13 PM

How far is he from you? If you're up for a road trip, hook up the trailer, hit the ATM and go see them. You need to look at them in person anyway. $ 500 in cash beats six on the phone. The last Suburbans I bought the seller told me he had a better offer over the phone. I responded with I'm here with cash now. After a little silence I thanked him for his time and started walking to my truck. Then my offer looked a lot better. It was kind of an a-hole move, but more Suburbans come up for sell everyday.

Remind him that there's no plows and they will cost you 125 each(really 75 each) to make your tractor useful.

Even if you don't make a deal, you will have a better picture of what's out there versus asking prices and you still have your money.

Good luck.

He's about 45-50 miles from me so probably about an hour drive depending on traffic.  I've driven that far before to look at a tractor so that wouldn't be a problem.   When I asked if he would consider an offer in the $400 to $600 range he immediately said no without hesitation and said that he had already declined a $600 offer.  He didn't say whether the $600 offer was in person or over the phone.  I assumed it was in person.

#19 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted February 24, 2015 - 08:19 PM

I agree show up in person with 5 bills & I bet he'll take it. I did this two years ago on a cub 1250. The PO said he had two guys interested one on Friday & one on Saturday with his asking price. I was there on Thursday with a whole lot less & took it home.

#20 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2987
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted February 24, 2015 - 09:44 PM

I agree show up in person with 5 bills & I bet he'll take it. I did this two years ago on a cub 1250. The PO said he had two guys interested one on Friday & one on Saturday with his asking price. I was there on Thursday with a whole lot less & took it home.

You may be right.  I think its been for sale for about a week now and he said that he had gotten several calls.  I think I'll wait a few more days and see if he still has it.  If he does, he might be ready to talk and consider a lower offer.

• Sawdust said thank you