19 replies to this topic

#1 dthomp17 ONLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2987
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted February 23, 2015 - 07:02 PM

This price seems a little high to me but the ad indicates the price is OBO.  What do you think would be a reasonable offer since they haven't been run in 5 years?  Not sure what you would do with 5 mowing decks, might take all 5 to make two useable ones.

http://atlanta.craig...4864643320.html

• rustyoldjunk and tinbender7 have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,457 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted February 23, 2015 - 07:11 PM

Can't give any help on an offer, but there is lots of goodies there. Even a snow blower!

00E0E_7B3FXY5dkrt_600x450.jpg

• rustyoldjunk, dthomp17, tinbender7 and 1 other said thanks

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,292 Thanks
  • 28,625 posts

Posted February 23, 2015 - 07:21 PM

There are so many ? on this one.
Are the engines ok, wheres the 3 point and is it complete, what snowblower for a few.
If they ran well, it would be easier to nail down.
One good grill (it seems)
  • rustyoldjunk and tinbender7 have said thanks

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,457 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted February 23, 2015 - 07:38 PM

That right deck on top looks different! Maybe just looking at the front instead of the back.

• rustyoldjunk said thank you

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted February 23, 2015 - 09:07 PM

Need lots of TLC for sure. Question on those gas tanks........They look like they have a cut-out for the seat spring/bar, but are they REALLY supposed to be mounted and shown like that?? That is one big turn-off to me. OR, they just setting there in pix and really belong below the fender pan??

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,292 Thanks
  • 28,625 posts

Posted February 23, 2015 - 09:12 PM

Nope, that's where they go GL

#7 dthomp17 ONLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted February 23, 2015 - 10:38 PM

I haven't talked to the seller but it looks like both tractors would need a lot of work and it could get expensive for parts.  Also, if the onan engines require a major rebuild, it could easily cost almost as much as buying a new engine.  I might consider $400 but not $800.

#8 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted February 23, 2015 - 10:45 PM

IF you get them...... And if there is a GOOD set of mufflers on either. I would offer 100 + sh on the mufflers

#9 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted February 23, 2015 - 10:56 PM

Hey  good nose cone ! They are like mushroom hunting to find. :D . The SS18 uses a lot bigger engine then the SS16. Bigger bore,longer stroke higher compression heads,and hotter cam. In fact as far as cubic inches it's bigger then the P series 20hp.

#10 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted February 24, 2015 - 02:35 AM

I could sure use some parts of them. I bet you could part one out and cover your cost to fix the other. I would be willing to help you get rid of the 3 point and the steering base....

#11 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted February 24, 2015 - 08:12 AM

Looks to be a '77 18/6, 1 yr only model( well, with that name). The other is a GT/18 which is a 78 or 79 model.

The 1 deck looks to be different, maybe it's a 48", the others are 42'?

The GT18 look to have a good grill, if ya parted, that's a $150-200 part on evilbay.

If the onan's are sounds, those are $250-400 running motors.

Snow blower may fetch $100-150 up my way.

3pt hitch would grab $125-150

I would say there is easily $800 in parts, but would be sad to part 2 complete tractors. I would consider offering 500, maybe 600 If I was in the market....

"But I'm getting out of the hobby this year"   :poke:  :D

• MH81 said thank you

#12 dthomp17 ONLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted February 24, 2015 - 10:28 AM

Although I would like to get them I doubt that I will be able to do anything right now. I thought maybe somebody on GTT might be interested.  Don't have room to store them and can't justify spending that much money.  I would need to get rid of one of my cub cadets and I'm not ready to do that yet.

#13 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted February 24, 2015 - 10:31 AM

I wouldn't go over 4, maybe 450.  You can part one of them out, but if you sell the three point, then all you are left with is a lawnmower.   If you sell the good nose cone, you're done and may as well part out both of them at that point. Take the best of the two and build one, then part out the second one, or sell it as is.  The snowblower is kind of cool, but how long will it take to sell in Georgia? 

What do you want?  Do you want to have a running tractor at the end of the day or do you want to make money off of this deal?

• dthomp17 said thank you

#14 dthomp17 ONLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted February 24, 2015 - 12:34 PM

I wouldn't go over 4, maybe 450.  You can part one of them out, but if you sell the three point, then all you are left with is a lawnmower.   If you sell the good nose cone, you're done and may as well part out both of them at that point. Take the best of the two and build one, then part out the second one, or sell it as is.  The snowblower is kind of cool, but how long will it take to sell in Georgia? 

What do you want?  Do you want to have a running tractor at the end of the day or do you want to make money off of this deal?

I agree.  My problem is that I would want to repair both of them to workable condition and not part them out.  To begin, I would try to get one running tractor out of the two and then decide if the other tractor is worth the effort and expense to repair.  I would try and get two good mowing decks out of the five and sell the remaining for whatever I could get.  You're right, the snowblower would have very little value in Georgia and would be hard to sell.

• Sawdust said thank you

#15 dthomp17 ONLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted February 24, 2015 - 01:19 PM

I called and talked to the seller today and he said that he would not take any less than $700 and I think he wants to sell everything as a package deal.  He said he had already turned down an offer of $600.   I asked about the engines and he said one was running fine when parked and the other was cutting out a little and probably needed a tuneup.  He parked them because he has a farm and needed a bigger tractor.  He may be able to get $700 but I don't think I would pay that.