34 replies to this topic

#16 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,145 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted February 23, 2015 - 07:56 PM

Autolite and NGK both have replacement plugs for the old engines, but you have to get the right replacement.  I have a 65 yo tractor that will go through 3 sets of plugs a year on champion.  Switched to NGK and am on the second year with them. all my stuff will be on NGK this spring,  both GT's and the two 2 wheel tractors.  NGK even go in my chain saws.  Quicker starting and better running.

Amen.

• Alc said thank you

#17 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,604 Thanks
  • 7,659 posts

Posted February 23, 2015 - 08:05 PM

Are vintage machines correctly restored with NGK?

#18 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 23, 2015 - 08:12 PM

I have never tried NGK plugs in an old machine.  I need to buy the J8C equivalent and try it. 

As a magneto guy, who messes with far too many coils and points and condensers, the wrong plug can really burn up your ignition system in a terrible way.  Brand does matter sometimes. 

Are vintage machines correctly restored with NGK?

No.  I also sell 1950's motor oil, too.  Its what we call authentic to the core. 

Ben W.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#19 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,640 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted February 23, 2015 - 08:14 PM

I have a fleet farm about an hour from me. Didn't think about looking there

Give them first make sure they got what you want ,might save you a trip----Also take some extra cash with you.I allways buy something I didn't really need until I seen it on the shelve.

#20 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,698 Thanks
  • 8,891 posts

Posted February 23, 2015 - 08:16 PM

I have a hardware store about 40 miles away that still has cases of oil quarts. The kind you use a can opener style spout on.

il_570xN.589133015_4tls.jpg

• Alc, EricR, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#21 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 416
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted February 23, 2015 - 08:44 PM

I buy all my plugs at my local Fleet Farm. If FF dosnt have it I go to Napa

I have a fleet farm about an hour from me. Didn't think about looking there

#22 CraftsmanGT OFFLINE  

CraftsmanGT
  • Member No: 67395
  • 187 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted February 23, 2015 - 09:24 PM

Well it seems to be hit or miss with Champion. I sent Federal-Mogul an email so we'll see if they respond. I'm gonna head back to true value this week and return/exchange them. It's disappointing

#23 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted February 23, 2015 - 10:18 PM

Champions were the main plug John Deere used --- in the 1950's!  Anymore they are junk, I just restored my JD 1978-100 lawn tractor.  Never started very good in the 2 years I've had it, replaced the Champion plug with an NGK, starts right off now!  I've avoided Champions for several years now, even on the 1958 JD 520 I used to have.

• Alc said thank you

#24 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted February 23, 2015 - 10:51 PM

huh I dunno why you guys are having so much issue with Champion plugs, it's all I run in everything.

I just threw away NGKs that were in my Ariens GT19 yesterday and put champs in, it starts a lot faster now, this even after new points and condenser last month with about 2 hours run time on them.

my daily driver vehicles, everything gets Champions.  put AC's in and get radio noise.

• oliver2655 said thank you

#25 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted February 24, 2015 - 06:36 AM

It seems it's " hit or miss " with the Champions with me . I have some tractors I can't remember when the Champion plugs were out to even be cleaned . Then there was the DB that the owner put a new Champion plug in the pervious year , wouldn't start so sold it to me . Had spark just laying on top on the head but wouldn't fire under compression . put in a plug I bought at a swap meet ( Mastercraft ? ) fired right up and stills in it . 

• superaben said thank you

#26 CraftsmanGT OFFLINE  

CraftsmanGT
  • 187 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted February 24, 2015 - 02:53 PM

Well I have a quick update for everybody and an interesting find. I went back to True Value and was able to exchange the plugs, so another set of RJ12Cs that were perfectly centered. I got this tractor last summer and never bothered to checked the plugs cause I needed it for mowing my yard, the yard at the shop I work at, and the yard of an elderly lady in town. It always took some cranking to get it started and would need to play with the choke for a few minutes until it warmed up and when throttling up from idle it would die. Today I needed it to move a dead MTD with a snowblower to get it into the bay and my Craftsman wouldn't start until the battery was about dead, and once I popped the clutch it died and had to charge the battery. Once the battery was charged it still took some cranking so I decided to change plugs just to see and when I pulled the old plugs out they were E3s. I put the RJ12Cs in it and it fired right up on half a turn and and didn't have to play with the choke until it was warm...it idled nice and smooth without missing a beat and throttled up with any hesitation or dying....throttled up nice and smooth. I guess the Briggs opposed twins don't like E3 plugs

• Alc, KennyP, dodge trucker and 1 other said thanks

#27 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,604 Thanks
  • 7,659 posts

Posted February 24, 2015 - 03:40 PM

I remember back in the day, I was helping a friend work on his hotrod '63 Impala at his FIL's gas station. We were going to replace the old Champion plugs with new ACs. He had access to one of those plug tester machines where you could actually see the plug firing under pressure. Out of 8 new ACs, 5 were no good. He got some more off the shelf and most of those were poor. We ended up putting the used Champions back in.

Something I don't understand is why, after a plug is flooded with gas, it may not be good anymore. Know what I mean?

Edited by LilysDad, February 24, 2015 - 03:41 PM.

• Alc, dodge trucker and Sawdust have said thanks

#28 CraftsmanGT OFFLINE  

CraftsmanGT
  • 187 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted February 24, 2015 - 04:03 PM

The strangest plug issues I had were on the Honda ATC 110s I used to have. Those were the pickiest about plugs. it'd run fine then you'd go to start it the next day and nothing, pull the plug and it'd have spark but it would be shooting it off to the side. Put a new plug in it and it'd fire right up and go for another month or two and do the same thing.
  • Alc and dodge trucker have said thanks

#29 mtoney ONLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted February 24, 2015 - 06:03 PM

I have had issues with the J19LM plugs in push mowers, total rubbish.  The old J8C and CJ8 plugs have always seemed to work well  In Onan and Kawasaki twins its always been NKG plugs and in the Briggs and Kohlers the RC12 or RC14yc series.  Is there even a USA made plug anymore, most we get in at our shop seem to be made overseas.   Guess thats why I went to compression ignition on my GT.  Along with not having the fuel turning sour after she sits for a month or so without use.   Mike

#30 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted February 24, 2015 - 06:38 PM

My preference for Champions probably lies with my choice of daily driver. 

I have never ever owned a car or truck of any other brand besides Chrysler Dodge Plymouth and Jeep. and I remember even my older brother with his 74 Charger and 76 Duster back in the 80s. ... he wouldn't listen to Dad and me, and bought AC's. He then could not understand why he had a whine in his radio. Suppression wires and AC resistor plugs even,  "nah can't be the plugs, they're new, brand of plug don't make any difference".   He would finally change the plugs to Champion the next time they were due and mysteriously no more radio whine with the engine running...

(Dad having bought a set of champs and having a set of spares in the workbench drawer that he could grab for free helped. this back in the day when you'd get the Champion resistor plugs for a buck a piece on sale...)

I never went for gimmick plugs like E3s or split fires. waste of money.  Bosch makes absolutely the worst spark plugs money could buy.   If I cannot get Champs, my next choice would be Autolite.   

when I work on someone else's car I put back in what was stock... Delco in a GM, Motorcraft or Autolite in a Ford.