7 replies to this topic

#1 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 23, 2015 - 09:04 AM

I learned a slightly painful lesson last week.  We had a "winter event" that left about 1.5 inches mixed ice and white stuff that vaguely resembled snow.  I'd gotten my blade on my "Dump" Massey, but was in a hurry to put the chains on.   I had to work, and there was no way I could clear the drive in the early morning or evening due to the unseasonally low temperatures we were having, so I left it in the hands of my son to clear both my drive and the drive of our elderly neighbor.  Things went well for a while:

GE 037.JPG

Early morning running RC cars on the skating rink, then clearing the drive as the sun came out:

GE 044.JPG GE 047.JPG

You can see in these pictures how the chain is starting to walk off the tire.  My wife decided not to comment, my son never noticed.  As my son was finishing the neighbor's drive, the chain came off, wrapped around the axle, damaged part of the hydro drive, and threw the drive belt off.  My attempt to get her drive clear seemed to have made things worse as the machine stopped at the street in the middle of her drive:

GE 048.JPG

I got home that evening and had to pull out another tractor, the only one that would start was the little Massey 8.  So I put the 12 hydro in neutral, used the low gear on the 8, and slowly pulled the 12 back into my yard.  

I got into it this weekend to inspect the damage, which could have been much worse:

GE 002.JPG GE 006.JPG GE 007.JPG

The belt took a few nicks also, so I'll replace that while I'm this far into it.  I'm also taking the opportunity to clean and paint the seat pan, foot rests and other bits that I removed.  Once this end is buttoned up, I'll pull the hood and grill, service the engine for spring, then paint the hood and grill.

• Alc, hamman, KennyP and 9 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted February 23, 2015 - 10:04 AM

The rubber bands make a big difference when the chains are a little loose. You can make the bands from old tire tubes. Good Luck, Rick

• HowardsMF155 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,330 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted February 23, 2015 - 01:52 PM

Wow, if that was the only piece that got damaged, I would say you were very lucky.
  • HowardsMF155 said thank you

#4 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted February 23, 2015 - 04:30 PM

Sorry for your troubles, sometimes stuff happens.

Can you bend that bracket back into shape?

All it does is hold the belt tensioner in place.

• HowardsMF155 said thank you

#5 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 23, 2015 - 09:31 PM

Sorry for your troubles, sometimes stuff happens.

Can you bend that bracket back into shape?

All it does is hold the belt tensioner in place.

I probably could bend it back into shape, but it looks like the weld took a beating as well.  Little part like that, I'll look around and see if I can find one somewhere, if not I can work on it then.

Wow, if that was the only piece that got damaged, I would say you were very lucky.

• DH1 and MH81 have said thanks

#6 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted March 04, 2015 - 06:31 AM

It looks easy enough to fix.

#7 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted March 04, 2015 - 07:45 AM

You can see in these pictures how the chain is starting to walk off the tire.  My wife decided not to comment, my son never noticed.

You can see where this could have been avoided. How many times has she "decided not to comment" to you? Hmmm? How many?

#8 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 05, 2015 - 07:22 PM

I hear that it is an ill wind that blows no good, and that was true in this case.  In order to have a clear shot at the bracket and to replace the  damaged drive belt, I pulled off the seat, foot rests and associated tins.  Cleaning up and painting these items has been on my list for quite some time, so I cleaned everything up with a wire brush and painted it.  I tried a couple of metalic grays, the one I liked best was the Duplicolor Wheel paint, Graphite.  Two coats, then clear coat over everything and it really looks a lot sharper.GE 093.JPG GE 089.JPG GE 088.JPG

Now of course, I will have to pull the front apart and paint it, but right now I need to plow my garden, and my neighbor wants to plow hers.

• DH1, limebuzz and IamSherwood have said thanks