Onan Engine problem again

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 robintwist OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1178
  • 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted March 10, 2011 - 12:08 PM

Hi, I am trying to set the points on an Onan B48M-GA018 twin cylinder engine on my Snapper 1855 but each time the engine is run the points gap has changed, even though they are tight.
Can anybody help?

#2 Big John OFFLINE  

Big John

• Member No: 1450
  • 21 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted March 10, 2011 - 12:20 PM

If screws holding points thread into aluminum check for stripped threads. If engine has
a small rod to operate points check for crud on the rod. Are you checking gap again
after final torqueing of the screws. Sometimes they will change. Sometimes I have had
to redo them 3 or 4 times before they will stay where they belong.

#3 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,426 posts

Posted March 10, 2011 - 12:25 PM

Try and clean the adjustment screw with brake cleaner or carb cleaner ,and put a dab of non permanent lock tight on the threads. They make many differant grades of thread locker. hope this helps , Shawn

#4 adamscr OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2081
  • 1 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted March 10, 2011 - 03:20 PM

If the threads are the problem, this is what someone had done to my engine. They had taken a screw and run it through the hole from the rear and then used a nut on the points side to tighten them down. At first I thought it was pretty tacky but it works fine and takes the stress off the aluminum points cover. At first I was going to tap the hole out to 8-32 but an 8-32 screw won't go through the points.