• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 adamscr OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2081
  • 1 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted March 10, 2011 - 09:02 AM

Has anyone had to replace the front hydro seal? Mine is leaking and leaves a small puddle. The service manual states that the seal can be replaced without having to pull the pump. Since I'm having to rework my drive shaft this is a perfect time to do the seal. If anyone and offer tips and tricks I would be much appreciative. Also, of anyone should have the seal number I'd like to get it locally first.

#2 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,426 posts

Posted March 10, 2011 - 10:23 AM

Please note I posted out of memory,I just walked up the hill to look at the pump on my model 14 parts tract. and remebered that you can take front flange off and work on it at your bench. remember which side is up on the flange. Clean the area around the seal, remove driveshaft , take a sharp punch and puncture a hole in the seal (carefully!). Take and pry the seal out by putting something in the hole you made with the punch. Make sure the input shaft has no burrs to ruin the new seal, file and polish any nicks or burrs. I like to use white assembly grease and coat the ID,and OD of the new seal. I made a seal driver out of a pipe and a round plate, welded to bottom of pipe, hole centered in plate same size as the OD of input shaft. tap tap tap untill seal is flush with body. Hope that this helps Shawn

Edited by tractorgarden, March 10, 2011 - 11:07 AM.
my bad memory

• NUTNDUN, TheFarm2004 and adamscr have said thanks

#3 olcowhand OFFLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,251 Thanks
  • 29,700 posts

Posted March 10, 2011 - 09:03 PM

Remember, when pulling the charge pump plate off for seal replacement, that if the star shaped pump rotor slips off with the plate, the star rotor's drive pin can easily fall out onto the floor without noticing.
  • tractorgarden said thank you

#4 adamscr OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2081
  • 1 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted March 16, 2011 - 06:47 PM

Thanks for all the info! However, a closer look makes me wonder if it is the seal or the tube coupling below it. The bulk of the oil seems to be around the fitting but it is wet below the seal also. Could it be that the fan is just spreading the oil around? I tried to tighten the fitting and it did turn a bit but I don't want to gorilla it too much. When I get a chance I'll pull the fitting and check/replace the O-ring or whatever it has.