• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,720 Thanks
  • 4,279 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 05:53 PM

In the bolens product sheet that Columbia236 posted today, they list the HB as being made through 39. I knew the PB was ended in 35 and went over to the asecc site and checkd the serial lists. Production of the PB fell off after Feb 30. From Feb 30 to Feb 32 there were about 1000 units produced. Between 32 to Feb 35, the last listing, there were only about 100. Makes you wonder if the last 3 years wasn't stricty filling Bolens orders? Would bolens have had enough engines on hand to build the tractors through 39? Would they have had that many left over to offer them through 39? Would the dates be wrong?  I don't imagine this tractor was a real big seller. I'm just throwing this out as another question that will probably never be answered but could be a part in the puzzle.

Link to the file  http://gardentractor...specifications/

• Bolens 1000, superaben and Columbia236 have said thanks

#2 gunstuff1000 ONLINE  

gunstuff1000
  • Member No: 40822
  • 926 Thanks
  • 556 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 06:22 PM

That sheet doesn't give you all the info that's the problem the HB on steel was made up to 1939 but they also used a Briggs A and I think maybe even the B not sure on that but I know the Briggs A was used
  • Bolens 1000, wilberj, DougT and 1 other said thanks

#3 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,720 Thanks
  • 4,279 posts

Posted February 23, 2015 - 08:30 PM

OK, I went back and looked. On the left by the model they do list 1, 2, and 3 HP. That would cover the A and B. Since they mount different than the PB, would they be what we consider a flat handled Gardener style or would they be something different? Ever see a flat handled Gardener high boy? Any pics?

#4 gunstuff1000 ONLINE  

gunstuff1000
  • 926 Thanks
  • 556 posts

Posted February 23, 2015 - 08:34 PM

OK, I went back and looked. On the left by the model they do list 1, 2, and 3 HP. That would cover the A and B. Since they mount different than the PB, would they be what we consider a flat handled Gardener or would they be something different? Any pics?

I have some pictures in the literature and I know of one with a model A briggs on it its buried in their shed I'm waiting for some better pictures after the weather breaks The tag on theirs reads HB so I don't think it's considered a Gardner yet the word gardner didn't start till being used till around 1942

#5 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,720 Thanks
  • 4,279 posts

Posted February 23, 2015 - 08:45 PM

It doesn't help the fact that Bolens was selective as to which ones they put a tag on or if they named a model on the tag. Even though they used gardener in the literature, they stil show a model number in the list. I've never seen one of those with a model on the tag.

• gunstuff1000 said thank you

#6 gunstuff1000 ONLINE  

gunstuff1000
  • 926 Thanks
  • 556 posts

Posted February 23, 2015 - 09:43 PM

They put a tag on everything past the models that use the block chain I'm 100% convinced none of those real early ones Model A, D and the real early HB's had a tag And your right some of Bolens had a tag but no model number was even on the tag.