#1 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 04:10 PM

Anyone notice scrap prices have taken a nose dive? I was getting ready to haul in 30,000lbs when I called the scrap yard and they said it was $70 per ton :wallbanging: ,  last time I hauled in a load it was $170 per ton. I guess they said that metal isn't being used as much but who really knows? I read that the prices are going to be low till next year :(. So I guess if I can afford it, I'm going to start stock piling all the metal that I get and get it hauled in next year.

• Texas Deere and Horse, tinbender7, bgkid2966 and 1 other said thanks

#2 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 04:12 PM

Brass, copper and lead have all gone down a bunch too.

Geno

• BTS said thank you

#3 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 04:20 PM

I have noticed, I just did a job and got close to 200lbs of clean copper and now it's only worth $1.90 per pound :wallbanging:

#4 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,805 Thanks
  • 2,216 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 04:30 PM

scrap has been down for awhile now, Last fall it started to drop of and hasn't rebounded yet.  it will take awhile but eventually it will get back to a good price.  You need to consider the fact that unless you have paid for the scrap the money you get is purely profit for you.  I used to buy scrap and go at it big time but gave it up awhile ago, to volatile and when the price goes up everyone on the planet assumes it will stay up and they want top dollar for everything they have.  they call the yard and hear there car is worth $350 there then they want you to give them that at their house !!!!!!!

Pete

• BTS said thank you

#5 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 04:42 PM

I guess I'm lucky to have a major scrap yard by me. The drop there this month was the biggest in a long time. Went from 210-170/ton. It had been running in the 210-235 range for quite a while now. The copper sounds close though.

• BTS said thank you

#6 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,223 Thanks
  • 1,450 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 04:48 PM

I had noticed my yard was paying less for incoming scrap, but charging me the same or more for stuff I buy, like used engines, etc.  

Edited by New.Canadian.DB.Owner, February 22, 2015 - 04:49 PM.

• Alc and BTS have said thanks

#7 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,728 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 04:51 PM

Scrap prices go up and down all the time. They were about 11.50/100 pounds. Now they are down to 6.50. I just have to adjust my price when I buy. Things slow down but that is the nature of the game. Back during the Beijing Olympics we all got hammered big time. CHina was buying steel for obscene prices, like $18/100 pounds. Then when the Olympics got close to starting the closed down all the factories and refused many shipments of steel from the US. Prices dropped to $3/100. I bought 4 cars on a Friday for $300 each. ON Monday morning I got $100 for each car. Nothing I could do but suck it up and tighten my belt for a while.

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, tinbender7 and 1 other said thanks

#8 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,707 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 05:34 PM

Doesn't the price always fall off at this time of the year? Been awhile, but I seem to remember that prices would start falling off around mid January and would not recover until around April. I always thought it was because of the weather around here. Ice and snow has to add to the weight and the yards would adjust accordingly.

• tinbender7 and BTS have said thanks

#9 Coventry Plumber OFFLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • Member No: 60643
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 06:03 PM

I seems like when gas prices drop , so does the scrap price. I have a bunch I'm holding back on and it's under 2 1/2 feet of snow.
  • Bmerf and BTS have said thanks

#10 refracman OFFLINE  

refracman
  • Member No: 10428
  • 41 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 06:26 PM

I work in the steel making industry and the mills are starting to see the orders drop off. This usually happens in Nov/ Dec,  not this time of year, this is when orders normally start picking up.

I know of some that are running at 70% or below capacity and this has happened within the last 3/4 weeks. 

Steel mills make product anywhere from 3 to 5 months before the end user receives it. 

It is mostly the car/heavy industry suppliers of steel.

Lets hope its only the end users are using up what they have on hand.

#11 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,728 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 06:46 PM

Doesn't the price always fall off at this time of the year? Been awhile, but I seem to remember that prices would start falling off around mid January and would not recover until around April. I always thought it was because of the weather around here. Ice and snow has to add to the weight and the yards would adjust accordingly.

It usually goes down a bit in the summer when the smelters are too hot to work in.

#12 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 11:35 PM

One reason on why the metal prices are down is because the U.S quit selling to Russia. I have a friend that works at AGCO building machinery and they are laying off and cutting back on hours because they aren't making very much equipment. I know the metal prices will rise again, but I could use the cash now lol :deadhorse:

• UncleWillie said thank you

#13 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,476 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted February 23, 2015 - 08:37 AM

Scrap might have dropped, but I went to buy some new pieces of steel recently...I had to walk out with sticker shock, wow. :hitting_self_roller:

instead of buying new, I will cut up an old trailer I have with the busted axles and use it for my projects.