• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TDNeurau OFFLINE  

• Member No: 67798
  • 1 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 02:00 PM

Hi All.

I finished up a major servicing project to my GT20 over the past month.  A pair of items I could not locate are replacement rods for the power steering and lift cylinders.  The rods are severely damaged due to dirt.  Looks to me that whoever designed the cylinders forgot to design in the 50 cent rod wiper, which would have significantly reduced the wear.

Has anybody found a replacement cylinder for either steering or lift?

Has anybody designed a front cap that includes the rod seal and a wiper seal?

Does anybody have the dimensions or know of a machine shop that has duplicated the original rod design?

Local hydraulic shops can machine just one part, but that is expensive...  Would anybody else be interested in replacement rods?  I am contacting a hydraulic machine shop and having them turn out a couple replacement rods.

Thanks in advance!

#2 ducky OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,533 Thanks
  • 3,781 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 02:21 PM

I think your Hydraulic shop is your best bet. They would be able to make all the parts for that cylinder.  

If there is room in the gland nut they can add a wiper for you or machine up a new gland nut with one.  The rod would be a simple thing for them to make.  99% of the time we can make the part cheaper than buying from the manufacturer.

• superaben, dodge trucker and TDNeurau have said thanks

#3 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,399 Thanks
  • 1,863 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 02:23 PM

I bought my GT 19 all apart, because the lift cylinder was bad. the past owner had gone to a machine shop and had a new one made for that, IDK what he paid to have it done, how long ago he had it made (the tractor had been sitting around 10 years before he had to part with it due to a move) so it's hard telling how long ago that he had that made up. All I know is that it was a well made piece and that it was probably made in Iowa being that this was where I got the machine from.

being that it took me a few weeks between saying that I'd take it and actually seeing my machine to see exactly what I was getting into,  I wound up getting a replacement lift cylinder from Ebay  knowing that I would be getting the tractor with the cylinder in pieces in a coffee can, but not knowing if it was otherwise "all there". The one that I got from Ebay  as well as the pics of the other listings for people that have these for sale, all show that rod being badly pitted.  It is mind boggling the spread in prices on available ones, even among the tractor dismantlers that they themselves may have 3 or 4 of these same parts listed at any one time. And just because you buy the $90 one doesn't mean that it is in any better shape than a $40 one.

The repair kits (a whole 3 O rings) isnt that costly, like $8, and available. I don't remember the availability of that rod but as of last fall when I looked the whole cylinder was still available but the cap wasn't any more by itself.

I will probably look into having a new rod made up for my spare cylinder just to have a known good one on the shelf.

What I have never seen available on Ebay even once since I have had this machine is a power steering cylinder available for sale...

• TDNeurau said thank you