• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,162 Thanks
  • 916 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 07:16 AM

I have come across this little gem on the bay. I am interested as it is so unusual. Be interested in your views on this model. I know very little about these. Here are some photos. Thanks Andrew

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• rustyoldjunk, boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 07:22 AM

Stout tractors! I followed DH1 plowing with one of those at Daniels Plow Day. Did a real nice job!

• rustyoldjunk and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 07:27 AM

It proved that MTD could actually build a capable little tractor.

• rustyoldjunk, KennyP, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 07:51 AM

I see that one has a really nice set of industrial type tires on the back. Finding new tires at a reasonable cost can be an issue for anyone with a 990. That's a big bonus to consider if you are making an offer on the tractor. That one also looks to be in good shape.  

• rustyoldjunk and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#5 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • 1,162 Thanks
  • 916 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 08:03 AM

What else does a prospective owner need to know about these?
  • rustyoldjunk said thank you

#6 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 08:55 AM

Nice find in the UK Bolens guy.  :smiley-flag013:  There is reams of information on this forum and on MTF MTD forum. http://www.mytractor...isplay.php?f=63  Do a search for "MTD 990". Someone is always restoring one of these.

Looking at your list of other vintage GTs, I would say you need to own one of these beautiful machines. Your herd would love another member.

You are looking at an early 1970s 990. It is hard to see much with your small pictures. Would love to see some close-ups at 1280 X 1024 resolution.  :camera:

Specifically your machine is hydro-static drive with hydraulic lift 3pt hitch and deck carriage, hi-lo speed trans-axle, 16 hp Briggs engine, mid PTO for the mower deck or rear tiller, front PTO pulley drives a snow blower and other attachments that were available but are now hard to find. A previous owner has converted to a 12 volt coil ignition. 

Issues to look for are: steering slop in the gears and joints, carburetor is always touchy, frame cracks in the left side rear cut-out, weak charge pump on the hydro. Very few bushings and bearings were used on these. Many shafts and linkages are worn loose if it was not ever greased and oiled.

Good things about your older style 990 tractor: Replaceable front wheel bearings, heavy rear wheel axle adapters. They are sought after here because the newer models used plastic bushings. 

Edited by VTXrider, February 22, 2015 - 10:01 AM.

• rustyoldjunk, KennyP, Jlaws and 1 other said thanks

#7 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • 1,162 Thanks
  • 916 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 09:08 AM

Thanks VTXrider. Is this the correct colour for this model? And does this have a model name like Farm King? One of the photos on the MTD gallery look like the size of a Large Frame Bolens, any more info is always appreciated. Cheers

Edited by Bolens800uk, February 22, 2015 - 09:08 AM.

#8 Jlaws OFFLINE  

Jlaws
  • Member No: 31172
  • 542 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 09:59 AM

Bolens800uk , I've got a MTD 990 and like mine a lot  . It is a larger sized GT with 15" rear rims and is comparable in size to a large frame Bolens and like the others have said is a capable machine .

I've set mine up for plowing and it doesn't do a bad job . The rearend also has a low/high range shifter . It also can be set up for Cat 0 implements .  One of the things I don't like about the 990 is the rear fenders are a little weak (thin gauge metal without bracing ) and you really can't lean on them without making them sag .

That model MTD came in a variety of colors depending on who MTD was making them for .

• KennyP and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#9 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 10:17 AM

These tractors were made for many stores and farm outlets. Canada had there own names also. There is an ongoing list of names posted somewhere. I have a Wizard and 4 Farm Kings. Farm King was kind of mid-west regional for the US. Wizard was southern region. 

If you open the "pinned" post in the MTD forum for manufacturing codes, you can see the list is long and many 990s had names from these suppliers on the hood. Colors varied but I think yours was painted. Check under the fenders for a different color. Red hood usually means red fenders and front grill - but not always.

Keep us posted.

Edited by VTXrider, February 22, 2015 - 10:19 AM.

• Jlaws and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#10 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 12:43 PM

I have owned some. Real strong pullers.  On the weak fenders, I have used the fender braces underneath from Wheelhorse D series tractors with good luck.  Whole tractor is old-fashioned and easy to work on. Many colors around. Some bright green even.

Just wondering the cost of sending something like that over to Britian?  Wouldn't you have to find people to work with crating and OSeas shipping then and the cost would be more than tractor value??  It is bad enough to just ship or retrieve around in US, the thought of overseas scares me.

• Bolens800uk said thank you

#11 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 01:05 PM

That's one of the nicest ones I've seen. It looks to be in good shape. One of the problems with these they were so reliable & rugged people wore them out before getting rid of them. They are easy to work on, parts come up on eBay regularly & we have some supporters & members that have parts tractors for these. They were badged in many different colors & names but same tractor. Have you bought it yet. To my surprise everything worked on this, started well after sitting outside for many years, & no leaks. Keep us updated.

If you really want to be inspired check out my rust bucket I started with.

http://gardentractor...d-up-a-mtd-990/

#12 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 01:34 PM

Same trans-axle and hydro as Massey Ferguson 1855

• IamSherwood and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#13 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • 1,162 Thanks
  • 916 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 05:05 PM

I am sorely tempted by this and having read Sawdust's project thread and other members' views on this MTD, I would like to buy it but have to appease my Better Half.......

Will keep you all posted.

Thanks
  • Sawdust said thank you

#14 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 06:05 PM

I am sorely tempted by this and having read Sawdust's project thread and other members' views on this MTD, I would like to buy it but have to appease my Better Half.......

Will keep you all posted.

Thanks

Tell her we all said it would make you real happy  :dancingbanana:

#15 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • 1,162 Thanks
  • 916 posts

Posted February 24, 2015 - 01:58 PM

I am still working on my wife to let me have this. Why's is that women/ wives get into such a huff when men want to pursue their hobby. It is not like I am drinking nor gambling nor buying antiques at unaffordable prices. This hobby is far cheaper than buying classic cars.

Rant over!

Edited by Bolens800uk, February 24, 2015 - 02:14 PM.

• KennyP, VTXrider and Sawdust have said thanks