• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 junkyardjeff OFFLINE  

junkyardjeff
  • Member No: 50084
  • 69 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 05:36 PM

Just changed the oil and put 10w30 in it this time,only ran it about 10 minutes and it started to get a little darker so that motor is dirty and will change it more frequently.

#17 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,146 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 06:42 PM

Now your on the right track.  The multi grade oil we have today is a much better quality than any of the straight grade of the past.  Many oil companies do not make single grade oil any more.  I run10-40 in all my engines summer and winter.  I really doubt that an air cooled engine, if properly maintained, will get any hotter than a full size tractor in summer.  If your concerned about winter starting, pick up some free pallets and build a quick make shift shelter for your tractor.  Will make a heck of a difference on how it starts.    Mine are in a building and when it is real cold I direct the heat from a forced air kerosene heater on the motor.  10 minutes and it is warm as toast.

• Cvans said thank you

#18 junkyardjeff OFFLINE  

junkyardjeff
  • Member No: 50084
  • 69 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted March 01, 2015 - 12:44 PM

Juts put about 2 hours on it today and the oil is black again so it really must  really dirty so I am going to start changing the oil every 10 hours and see if it will clear up some. My tractors I use for grass cutting do not get that dirty all mowing season so that motor was not cared for much.

#19 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,266 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted March 01, 2015 - 10:25 PM

I run SAE 30 non detergent in my Teccy engines. Been doing it for years and am very happy with results.
Oil changes when they need it (depending on use) and no issues.
Positive pressure systems get detergent oil tho.