#16 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,476 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted February 23, 2015 - 10:08 AM

It may work but the prices are just way to far out there. Also I have a deep hive body and a super that is never robbed as that is their winter food supply but I figure it would go on top of it. Seems like your bee club has no faith in it either.

Sounds like what my uncle used to do. He may have used 2 deeps, then a 3rd on top he would rob. He always said they need food

for the winter. I miss that old guy, I could've learned alot from him.

#17 cootertom OFFLINE  

cootertom
  • Member No: 59950
  • 1,326 Thanks
  • 717 posts

Posted February 23, 2015 - 10:19 AM

He may have used 2 deep hive bodies as your winters arecolder and longer than ours here. They gotta have food for the winter. Starve them to death then you'll have no bees the next spring. Mid to late March I'll split mine and make nucs with them and feed heavy sugar water till the hive body and super is about refilled. Then I take the sugar water away from them and add the next super on and that is the honey we eat.
  • TAHOE said thank you

#18 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,476 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted February 23, 2015 - 11:43 AM

I wish I was older to learn from him before he died, that was back in late 80's. 30 years of welding smoke and cigerettes did him in at only 66 yrs old. He had 15 hives at one time, he's the one who taught me how to pet a honey bee and how docile they are.

I would like to start a couple hives this spring, but may have to wait another year. I use honey as my primary sweetener now for coffee, oatmeal, etc, can get expensive.

#19 cootertom OFFLINE  

cootertom
  • Member No: 59950
  • 1,326 Thanks
  • 717 posts

Posted February 23, 2015 - 06:59 PM

Bees are really sort of expensive to get started in. A complete hive with 2 supers cost around $275 then maybe you can get lucky and get a swarm somewhere. If someone around you has bees there is another little trick that you can get a swarm sometimes.
  • TAHOE said thank you