#1 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,911 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 10:14 AM

After decades of paying their employees substandard wages , Walmart has decided a raise is in order for their employee 's OMG ! I wonder where the pressure came from to implement such a plan. HMMM. I hope their able to stay in business .

• Sawdust and petrj6 have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,332 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 10:29 AM

This has been in the news a lot lately and I am happy that the Mart is giving some people a raise. I would hope that the reason is the raises are earned and that the company is doing what it should to keep good employees happy and on the payroll.

There was a similarly topic'd thread recently that wandered into the political arena and was terminated. Lets not have that happen with this one.
  • IamSherwood, Lauber1, HDWildBill and 4 others have said thanks

#3 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 10:34 AM

Will we still be able to see videos & photos of "People from Walmart"?

• MH81, IamSherwood, HANKG and 1 other said thanks

#4 gunstuff1000 OFFLINE  

gunstuff1000
  • Member No: 40822
  • 926 Thanks
  • 556 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 11:39 AM

The Walton family remains on the top 10-15 richest people in the world I think they can afford to hand out some nice raises to their workers. I'm happy to hear about this.
  • HANKG and petrj6 have said thanks

#5 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 11:44 AM

Threads like this one divide people and I don't think they have any place on a tractor forum.Just my opinion.

• Bolens 1000, DougT, David Brown and 2 others have said thanks

#6 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,396 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 11:45 AM

I'm also happy for those getting raises, however I don't understand the OP's question about where the pressure came from. And as for straying into politics, can't happen, it started there.

#7 cootertom ONLINE  

cootertom
  • Member No: 59950
  • 1,326 Thanks
  • 718 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 12:28 PM

Now work them enough hours so they qualify for insurance.
  • HANKG and petrj6 have said thanks

#8 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 01:58 PM

Pay might go up, but bet hours go down! My son worked there for awhile and they offer insurance and such, but he had to pay some and it covered about nothing in real life. Longer he worked there, less hours he was offered. Maybe it was way to have him quit, instead of firing??  Many push to Unionize, but Wally seems to be able to fight them off.  McDonald's now is also getting people to fight for more money, last time they wanted $15 min, but think some areas ARE getting up to the $10 area. Some people only work these light pay jobs long enough to make some money to live on awhile, then move on till it is out, get another low pay job, then move on, etc.  Must be when Drug prices are lower, ha!  Me Bad!

• petrj6 and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#9 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 02:26 PM

Mcdonalds will go to computerized ordering and cut their staff down by 3/4 if y hey fight hard enough for more cash.

Walmart and Mcdonalds isn't a job you have to raise your family. They are jobs you have in high school and college then you move on. That's why they are low paid jobs

Mcdonalds has already lost business because their prices are almost on par with sit down restaurants

The company can only afford to give what they give. They give more to employees everyone will be complaining walmart prices are too high.

Edited by toomanytoys84, February 21, 2015 - 02:26 PM.

• Bolens 1000, David Brown, petrj6 and 1 other said thanks

#10 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 03:59 PM

I could go on for hours about the evil corporations that run our country and wallmart is on top of the list.  there was awhile when wallmart would give out applications for food stamps and welfare when you got hired and they would tell you we will not pay you a livable wage but we will pay you below the threshold for government assistance.  true story !!!!!!!  I do not shop in wallmart or home depot.    GLrumpy has it correct, they will give raises but cut hours.

Watch out for these corp's  they are now talking about changing the definition of a full work week from 32 hours to 40 hours, you think that is not bad till you realize that it will change almost everyone in the country's eligibility for employer health insurance, they can just cut you down to 39 hours and cut your ins.

I know this is not supposed to be political and I am trying not to go there.  good for the wallmart employees for getting raises.  maybe they can now earn a livable wage. 

• HANKG said thank you

#11 cootertom ONLINE  

cootertom
  • Member No: 59950
  • 1,326 Thanks
  • 718 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 05:10 PM

I know the local Wal Mart works the employees 28 to 30 hours per weeks so they can get the benefit package. Only ones that get it is the managers. Did I say I hate Wal Mart, Lowe''s and Home Depot along with a few others. Let me have my local home town businesses. Ok, sorry I'll get off my soap box and go on.
  • HANKG and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#12 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 05:46 PM

If they guys that work there get a raise and dont get a smaller check in the end, I'm all for it.

I just want to know what this will do to the price of a 5 gallon bucket of pickles

• HANKG said thank you

#13 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 05:52 PM

If they guys that work there get a raise and dont get a smaller check in the end, I'm all for it.

I just want to know what this will do to the price of a 5 gallon bucket of pickles

Probably make it a 3 gallon bucket for the same price!

• WNYTractorTinkerer, HANKG and cootertom have said thanks

#14 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,396 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 06:09 PM

We all loved our old Main St hardware store, mom and pop grocery store, etc... However, we are the ones that started shopping at the big box stores to save a buck. All they did was offer us the chance, we are the ones that snapped it up. Every market is customer driven, we vote with our pocketbooks. Admit it or deny it, we elected Walmart.
  • ducky, HDWildBill, farmerall and 3 others have said thanks

#15 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 07:20 PM

We all loved our old Main St hardware store, mom and pop grocery store, etc... However, we are the ones that started shopping at the big box stores to save a buck. All they did was offer us the chance, we are the ones that snapped it up. Every market is customer driven, we vote with our pocketbooks. Admit it or deny it, we elected Walmart.

You are EXACTLY right.

We have created the market that we have.  We have created the throw away tractors, we have created the Chinese imports because as consumers we want to pay the least for the most.  We want a 60" TV made in China for 500 dollars vs an American made TV for 600 dollars. 

We have created Walmart, we have created the throw away generation. 

We as in the American people.

Gone are the group of people who want to buy a product use it for X years, repair it when it breaks and use it for X years again.  No now a days we want to buy it for the cheapest price, and chuck it in the trash when the next best thing comes around.  It is sad, but the companies are only giving us what we have said we wanted

I am guilty of this myself, as I sit here typing this on my Samsung tablet, with my Chinese TV playing in the background, sitting on my couch made in Singapore.  I drove home driving my Japanese truck, sitting beside a Korean car.  Awhile my son plays in a chair toy thing that was made in China, and my Daughter is wearing Pajamas made in Vietnam, and my wife is in the kitchen mixing up a cake with a Chinese mixer. 

My tool box however is full of American made tools.

Edited by toomanytoys84, February 21, 2015 - 07:24 PM.

• Gtractor, jpackard56, petrj6 and 1 other said thanks