• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Chucknbob OFFLINE  

Chucknbob
  • Member No: 22241
  • 90 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted February 20, 2015 - 10:13 PM

I bought an old kubota 6100 last summer, and surprisingly this is the first cold snowy week I've had with it. I was worried about it starting since it's a 30ish year old diesel, but two days in a row it's started. Yesterday it was 0 degrees F, today it made it all the way up to 15. This is all without starting fluid or a block heater.

I know one of the big beefs with old diesels is hard starting, and I thought I would share that if you take time to warm up your glow plugs there isn't much to worry about.

I'll try to get some pics pushing snow tomorrow.
  • MH81, Alc, Cvans and 2 others have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted February 20, 2015 - 10:20 PM

Glad it started ok, my van didnt start this morning so your 30 yr old tractor is more dependable than my 10 yr old van.
Had to put the booster on it for an hour.

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,608 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 06:35 AM

Glad to hear your happy with the way your tractor starts !

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 07:27 AM

It sounds like you have a good strong battery and charging system and that all your glow plugs are working. My jd2320 which has a Yanmar 24hp diesel has always started but sometimes it isn't too happy for the first 10 seconds or so, starting to run at 500rpms and then gradually increasing to a normal idle speed. A friend of mine has been struggling with his 30hp Kubota L series tractor. It's only about 12 years old and has a new battery but still gives him trouble. Just curious, how long do you run your  glow plugs? On my JD they only run for about 3 seconds at a time, so I give it 2 cycles when it's really cold. My friends Kubota seems to have a much longer pre heat cycle although it is a larger 4 cylinder engine. 

• oldedeeres said thank you

#5 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,467 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 09:45 AM

When it is this cold the minimum I run the glow plugs is a minute and 30 seconds more doesn't hurt. That seems like an eternity when your setting there holding that switch but in the end it makes a huge difference. Another things that helps a lot is one of those little battery maintainers. Battery cranks over like crazy when one of those is hooked to the battery between uses.  :thumbs:

• JDBrian said thank you

#6 Chucknbob OFFLINE  

Chucknbob
  • Member No: 22241
  • 90 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 08:52 PM

I engage the glow plugs for about a minute when it's this cold. If it doesn't fire up, I warm them for another 20 seconds or so and go again.

If your friend is having problems only when it's cold, and the engine cranks fine, he may need new glow plugs.