Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Which would be faster, MF 14 or Farmall Cub.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted February 20, 2015 - 08:45 PM

Not saying I want to plow more this year , I've had enough. Tom

You and me both.  Spent 8 hours today pushing drifts back and widening roads.  They are saying another 4-9 tomorrow into sunday for us now.  I will be glad when it's time to mow roadsides and fix potholes.

• superaben, propane1 and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#17 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 20, 2015 - 08:48 PM

If I do, my MF16 will be wearing 36" boots. :smilewink:   And I'll be sporting a

Kim Jong hair-do to scare you. :D

I'm excited about the hair do.  That might even make the GTTalk calendar for next year! 

Get your cameras ready, kids!  Will is on the way!

Ben W.

• IamSherwood, propane1 and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#18 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 07:57 AM

Yes, I believe you are right Coventry Plumber. I know that they are only about 9 1/2 to 10 hp. Massey ferguson is 14 , real horse power, as was said before. No torque values yet. I think a Kohler 14 would have about 25 foot pound of torque. Don't know about a Cub. Noel.

Yes, I believe you are right Coventry Plumber. I know that they are only about 9 1/2 to 10 hp. Massey ferguson is 14 , real horse power, as was said before. No torque values yet. I think a Kohler 14 would have about 25 foot pound of torque. Don't know about a Cub. Noel.

Engine torque doesn't really enter the picture with a hydro's infinite speed range. Output torque at the axle from your hydro in LO at 1500 psi is approximately 790 ft-lb. The hydro is rated for 4000 psi. The tractor will break traction long before it maxes the pressure and isn't likely to make 1500 psi on snow without a LOT of weight and a set of chains.

The full torque is available at idle, but it takes horsepower to make use of it. A manual transmission only develops full torque at WOT.

• propane1 said thank you

#19 gtcsreg ONLINE  

gtcsreg
  • Member No: 25875
  • 1,665 Thanks
  • 1,647 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 09:17 AM

Trust me, a Farmall is always faster than a Massey.

:poke: :D

Ben W.

Kinda like comparing a fast woman to virtuous one! I'll go with the virtuous one every time. Then again, I never get in trouble.

Reg

Just kidding, just kidding. (but not about staying out of trouble)

Edited by gtcsreg, February 21, 2015 - 09:22 AM.

• limebuzz and propane1 have said thanks

#20 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 11:04 AM

Farmall Cub has cutting brakes.

#21 Leonard VanCamp ONLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 235 Thanks
  • 196 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 12:10 PM

I'm not sure how much that it would relate to a Cub, but my uncle had a IH 140 that would push a 8 foot Fisher snow plow full of snow in 2nd gear, 3rd going downhill. Granted it had extra weight on it from having a plow frame, loaded tires and about 500-1000 pounds of cut railroad rail on the rear.

• wvbuzzmaster and propane1 have said thanks

#22 Coventry Plumber ONLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • Member No: 60643
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 02:58 PM

I don't think the cub is faster than the Massey but in every other category IMO it is superior . Power , comfort, traction and maneuverability( that can't b spelled right) .I can shift manually but quickly and use the rear brakes to assist in turning sharply . I also have a 7-1/2 ' plow on my Farmall H and I rather use the Cub any day. With that said I have never driver a Massey so it's just my opinion. It's looking like I'll get to brush up on my skills tomorrow morning again.

Tom