patrick.

#17 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,159 Thanks
  • 4,505 posts

Posted February 20, 2015 - 09:04 PM

The legal aspect of all this is actually very simple.  If you don't want someone to use a photo you post for the public to see, you add 'copyright' to each and every photo.  From then on anyone that does anything to or with that photo, other than view it, is in violation of copyright laws.  If the copyright is not on the item, then it is fair game to any and all.  May not be proper but that is the way it is fellas.

• OldBuzzard, blackjackjakexxix, sacsr and 2 others have said thanks

#18 LPBolens ONLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted February 20, 2015 - 11:34 PM

I am  not an attorney, but I think you have to actually copyright the photo,, not just put copyright on the photo, in order to claim rights to it if you post it on the Internet or anywhere else. Copyrighting is a legal proceeding.

• OldBuzzard and blackjackjakexxix have said thanks

#19 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,159 Thanks
  • 4,505 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 09:39 AM

I am  not an attorney, but I think you have to actually copyright the photo,, not just put copyright on the photo, in order to claim rights to it if you post it on the Internet or anywhere else. Copyrighting is a legal proceeding.

I could have been misinformed but several years ago this discussion came up and was told by a prominent State Attorney that if you state that an photo or writing or what ever is copyright, you are protected.  But it is up to the owner to enforce this protection, which in a lot of cases is not worth the effort or expense.  Personally, if I didn't want anyone else to use my product I would not make it public and not worry about any copyright.  My opinion

• WrenchinOnIt and HJR have said thanks

#20 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 09:57 AM

Phrase to google on this topic is Intellectual Property.
  • LPBolens, Lauber1 and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks

#21 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10613
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 10:05 AM

Allow me to introduce myself, My name is Greg, I own and run GTnovelties. I understand the concern about using other peoples tractor pictures. I can only say that sometimes people request particular tractors and sometimes I just like certain tractors so when I use pictures that I find on the internet it is sometimes very difficult to find of the owner of the photo. I do still use them, but if the owner comes forward and says they don't want me using it, I don't and remove it or if they are fine with it, I always offer them a free keychain or give them a good deal on quantities. As to the art work in question, I create all of my own art work. Aside from the pictures of the tractors all the graphics are made by me. Granted these pictures or drawn from visual references but as they are based on pre-existing decals there will always be similarities. I have also drawn pictures of tractors and used them in the art. I'm actually looking for pictures of tractors to draw, but they really need to be Hi resolution pictures which are hard to come by. An example of this is a photo of a Bush Hog owned by, Scott Culbreth. 

Attached Thumbnails

• edfe87a7cd5b30267d2e0252cd48a74e.jpeg
  • Screen Shot 2015-02-21 at 9.59.35 AM.png

• OldBuzzard, LPBolens, bhts and 4 others have said thanks

#22 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 10:22 AM

Allow me to introduce myself, My name is Greg, I own and run GTnovelties. I understand the concern about using other peoples tractor pictures. I can only say that sometimes people request particular tractors and sometimes I just like certain tractors so when I use pictures that I find on the internet it is sometimes very difficult to find of the owner of the photo. I do still use them, but if the owner comes forward and says they don't want me using it, I don't and remove it or if they are fine with it, I always offer them a free keychain or give them a good deal on quantities. As to the art work in question, I create all of my own art work. Aside from the pictures of the tractors all the graphics are made by me. Granted these pictures or drawn from visual references but as they are based on pre-existing decals there will always be similarities. I have also drawn pictures of tractors and used them in the art. I'm actually looking for pictures of tractors to draw, but they really need to be Hi resolution pictures which are hard to come by. An example of this is a photo of a Bush Hog owned by, Scott Culbreth. 

I like your work.

Edited by bhts, February 21, 2015 - 10:46 AM.

#23 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 10:25 AM

Well, hello Greg. Thanks for clarifying your situation. Willingness to work with a person who took the picture to keep them happy is a nice gesture.
There may be a few fellas who wouldn't mind the fun of seeing their stuff on novelties, are there any specific models you would be interested in or restrictions on size of image?

(I Don't want to turn this thread into a special order or 'here, use my picture' frenzy, and as for buisness... that's what we have a Sponsor area for, but I thought it would be nice to broach the subject. )
  • Bolens 1000, wilberj, IamSherwood and 1 other said thanks

#24 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 11:11 AM

Without getting to technical if you can see the threads on the bolts the picture resolution should be good enough. Most pictures however, although look perfectly fine are actually pretty low resolution. I'm interested in any tractor really, but for the purpose of selling, it is usually best to use more common tractors. Like Wheel Horse, Cub Cadet, Bolens, Sears Suburbans to name a few. I do like to find good pictures of the more obscure tractors like Bantam, Panzers, Hiller, Gibson etc'. Those tractors are hard to find novelty items for. I am a big fan of the old Bolens Ride masters and ride-a-matics. I like their over look they are just very interesting to look at, very mechanical and detailed. I have never owned one. I am more into Cubs when it come to owning tractors. I do own a Speedex s18 I like to get out an mow with on those nice summer days. 

• wilberj said thank you

#25 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 11:22 AM

Doc...  sorry to see someone is making money off of your'e pic...  I agree it's not right,,, BUT  arn't all of the  vinyl decals that are being reproduced a form of copyright infringement...?? All the tractor decals being reproduced...  I to wanted a decal of a football helmet to put on a peg board,,with a team logo... No one would do it... Copyright infringement ...That's where you see that little hologram ((  colorful little square )  on  NBA,,,NFL,, etc..  products..

Anyway,,,  Enjoy your'e keychain   :smilewink:    

Also that's like Facebook,,,,or youtube....you post it and it goes into cyberspace for the world to see... 

#26 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 12:48 PM

Copyright is just that, the right to copy. If you use a logo created by someone else and copy it onto a shirt or hat then that is technically copyright infringement. No business will likely do that, it's just not good business to take that risk. Office Max refused to print a illustration I did that had the American Flag in it. I tried to explain that the American Flag is not a Copyrighted logo. But they wouldn't hear it. If you create the art yourself it's different. If I took a picture of a tractor and someone else took a picture of the same tractor, They would be slightly unique to each person but still almost identical. But one person does not own the copyright to both pictures. Also it actually isn't necessary to copyright a photo or logo. The advantage of copyrighting a photo, is to register it. So you can prove when it was registered and make it easier for you to argue copyrights later down the road. Any picture you take with your camera is owned by you. An example of this is the paparazzi, they take pictures of celebrities and sell thous pictures to magazines. The celebrities have very little recourse to prevent this as long as the pictures are taken from public places. When you are talking about the internet it is different. The boundaries of what's public and private, and where the separation is, is arguable. But in regards to what I do, If someone doesn't want me to us their tractor, I won't. Keep in mind that not all pictures and graphics can be copyrighted. If they are to generic or general.

• blackjackjakexxix and HDWildBill have said thanks

#27 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 02:53 PM

Thanks for posting and clearing things up,as I stated before,very happy with how you worked with me,keep up the good work
  • Gfann said thank you

#28 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 04:01 PM

Without getting to technical if you can see the threads on the bolts the picture resolution should be good enough. Most pictures however, although look perfectly fine are actually pretty low resolution. I'm interested in any tractor really, but for the purpose of selling, it is usually best to use more common tractors. Like Wheel Horse, Cub Cadet, Bolens, Sears Suburbans to name a few. I do like to find good pictures of the more obscure tractors like Bantam, Panzers, Hiller, Gibson etc'. Those tractors are hard to find novelty items for. I am a big fan of the old Bolens Ride masters and ride-a-matics. I like their over look they are just very interesting to look at, very mechanical and detailed. I have never owned one. I am more into Cubs when it come to owning tractors. I do own a Speedex s18 I like to get out an mow with on those nice summer days. 

I am a big fan of those Ride A Matic but I have a big soft spot for those Ridemasters. I may work with you later on with mine.

#29 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 07:38 PM

Hello everyone,

I thought I would chime in on this topic since I work in a profession that this really relates to. The real issue is on the logos of the respective companies they are representing. Since a product is being created with the use of a company's logo, it is required to get the licensing to reproduce the logo. Also, to use such logo with other created art needs permission from the 'brand' owner. Licensing isn't hard to get and may require a fee. The fee is so much cheaper than any lawsuit a company may bring on.
In this example, Bolens, is owned by MTD now. So this logo key chain (link below) could bring MTD to action.

Bolens Key Chain

As for the pics ... as long as permission is given by the photographer all is good. To add the logo then the company of the logo needs to approve the use with that photo.

I wish everyone well and hope this is layman clear to what the law is on this topic.

• blackjackjakexxix and sodisr have said thanks

#30 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 07:47 PM

So where do the reproduction decals fall under this?  I would assume they would have to be licensed by whoever owns the various brand?  I'm sure none are but it seems they would be open to lawsuits.