5 replies to this topic

#1 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted February 20, 2015 - 02:51 AM

I'm sure some of you have heard of Gutbrod,the German ( I think ) garden tractor company. I'm not sure what there connection to Simplicity is or was many years ago but if you do a Google image search for "Gutbrod 1030" you will find basically a blue Simplicity 700 / 725 badged as Gutbrod model 1030 the model 1031 and 1032 also look like Simplicity under the sheetmetal. I first noticed this a few years ago when seeing German Massey Ferguson model "ELF" tractors built for Massey by Gutbrod. Wonder what the connection was - is ?

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,448 Thanks
  • 3,996 posts

Posted February 20, 2015 - 06:22 AM

Hi Jim, here you'll find the Gutbrod manuals Normally Gutbrod was bought by MTD and became part of Cub Cadet and Wolf Gartengeräte so I don`t know, if there was a link to Simplicity in the former years. It's right, that some Gutbrods and Masseys are identic.

Edited by jd.rasentrac, February 20, 2015 - 08:49 AM.

• rustyoldjunk said thank you

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 20, 2015 - 01:00 PM

Jim, Although they look nearly identical, the Gutbrod are not the same or modified tractor as the Simplicity's If you look at the tans axle areas, you will see a lot of differences. The SIM uses a 90degree BGB to drive the trans axle thru a belt, the Gutbrod uses a drive shaft to drive the trans which is inline with the engine. Also the Gutbrod trans axle has Rear PTO built into it that has a couple different speed choices and has a more industrial type of gearbox in the trans axle.

When I first saw the 1030 Gutbrod, I thought the same thing about it being a SIM in different sheet metal.

• rustyoldjunk, IamSherwood, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#4 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted February 20, 2015 - 01:56 PM

Jim, Although they look nearly identical, the Gutbrod are not the same or modified tractor as the Simplicity's If you look at the tans axle areas, you will see a lot of differences. The SIM uses a 90degree BGB to drive the trans axle thru a belt, the Gutbrod uses a drive shaft to drive the trans which is inline with the engine. Also the Gutbrod trans axle has Rear PTO built into it that has a couple different speed choices and has a more industrial type of gearbox in the trans axle.

When I first saw the 1030 Gutbrod, I thought the same thing about it being a SIM in different sheet metal.

I see the drivetrain is completely different but if you look at the hood and grill they are identical. The front frame is the same design also. I will add some pictures. After having my 1960 700 for well over 20 years it is very apparent to me but someone not as familiar with the 700 / 725 Simplicity's might not see it as easily.

• Texas Deere and Horse and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted February 20, 2015 - 02:13 PM

A few comparison pictures. The first picture look closely. This is the Simplicity 700 / 725 grill support,grill,and hood. That is a Simplicity (700 / 725) frame. That Simplicity steering coming out from under the frame with the drag link running forward. Second picture,notice at the back of the hood,the dash is the Simplicity dash and the hood sits on it or closes securely the same way as it should on the 700. Picture three,the same rear frame as the Simplicity. Here are a few pictures of my 700 for reference.

Attached Thumbnails

• gutbrod simplicity.jpg 7.jpg
  • gutbrod simplicity.jpg 3.JPG
  • gutbrod simplicity.jpg 5.jpg
  • simplicity 700.jpg 4.jpg
  • simplicity 700 1 20 15.jpg 5.jpg
  • KODAK camera 452.JPG

• Texas Deere and Horse, boyscout862 and icecream4070 have said thanks

#6 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 07:27 AM

Very similar! I see the sheetmetal is different though, and the frame has variations as well. The entire frame/dash/grill/hood is the same design but different execution.

Simplicity had an overseas pres3nce at that time, and an International sales amd marketing dept. Its lossible they partnered or were simply knocked off.
  • rustyoldjunk, Texas Deere and Horse and icecream4070 have said thanks