#16 Traill95 OFFLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,566 Thanks
  • 915 posts

Posted February 20, 2015 - 07:35 AM

Now everybody go check all your hose clamps for dates! Maybe you got a box of them..  Not all older vehicles were assembled the same.  The black cab in this picture had the instrument bezel screwed in while all others for that model were spot welded in...I assume the spot welder quit for whatever reason and someone drilled and screwed bezel in to keep assembly line going..The cab also only had one hole punched for a windshield wiper. Normally 2 holes would be punched,,driver side and passenger although having a wiper installed on passenger side was a added option...but the hole would be there.

IMG_2001_zps1a7f2551.jpg

Give ya $50.00 dollars for the purple truck. :D  :D .

#17 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted February 20, 2015 - 10:52 AM

Car shows are pretty big down here..and yes even the #s /brand of a clamp are important..yes $135 important if you want any chance at all of winning.

• superaben said thank you

#18 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,597 Thanks
  • 7,654 posts

Posted February 20, 2015 - 11:27 AM

Mid year changes must drive these folks crazy.

Not all older vehicles were assembled the same.  The black cab in this picture had the instrument bezel screwed in while all others for that model were spot welded in...I assume the spot welder quit for whatever reason and someone drilled and screwed bezel in to keep assembly line going..The cab also only had one hole punched for a windshield wiper. Normally 2 holes would be punched,,driver side and passenger although having a wiper installed on passenger side was a added option...but the hole would be there.

IMG_2001_zps1a7f2551.jpg

When you are competing in a concours event those kind of details will win or loose. The right date code on a hose clamp may seem insignifigant to our tractor hobby but those guys are nuts.

This sounds like Obsessive Compulsive Disorder to me. Folks thinking up things to call important and then spending mucho dinaro to justify it. You tractor guys think you have a disease!l

#19 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,436 Thanks
  • 948 posts

Posted February 20, 2015 - 01:53 PM

Jazz, I just love the look of your truck. :dancingbanana:  :dancingbanana:

Is there more pics posted here somewhere?

Thanks,,here's a link to the build. Concours original is not my MO

https://www.flickr.c...157627714792392

#20 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted February 20, 2015 - 04:04 PM

I get so fed up with this "make it perfect new old stock" because I truly believe that (apology to those I offend) it is better to know what you have now and be able to use it as intended than to make it so perfectly original looking you have to buy it a special trailer just to keep it from getting road dirt on it going to the show. I do like the idea of it being perfect, but these old machines want to work up a sweat once in a while.

Example 1: My Uncle restored a 1954 Packard with its original straight 8 engine, did it beautiful, and enjoys driving it. He parks it in the barn and covers it with some old blankets to keep it safe. When a car show he decides to attend comes around he gets in the Packard and drives it there with all the heavy traffic. One show he attended awarded him a trophy for "farthest distance traveled" and he questioned them because he was within an hour from his house and saw out of state plates on several cars. The answer he received was "Those cars were trailered here, you drove your car here."

Example 2: Same Uncle quit a Packard club because none of them could answer a mechanical question about their Packard without using the words "my mechanic".

I get so fed up with this "make it perfect new old stock" because I truly believe that (apology to those I offend) it is better to know what you have now and be able to use it as intended than to make it so perfectly original looking you have to buy it a special trailer just to keep it from getting road dirt on it going to the show. I do like the idea of it being perfect, but these old machines want to work up a sweat once in a while.

Example 1: My Uncle restored a 1954 Packard with its original straight 8 engine, did it beautiful, and enjoys driving it. He parks it in the barn and covers it with some old blankets to keep it safe. When a car show he decides to attend comes around he gets in the Packard and drives it there with all the heavy traffic. One show he attended awarded him a trophy for "farthest distance traveled" and he questioned them because he was within an hour from his house and saw out of state plates on several cars. The answer he received was "Those cars were trailered here, you drove your car here."

Example 2: Same Uncle quit a Packard club because none of them could answer a mechanical question about their Packard without using the words "my mechanic".

I agree to a point. The concours guys do it because they want to do it that way. They are obsessive about it.

The guys who have someone build it for them are not real car guys. They are guys with cars. I have a buddy who is restoring a 39 Buick by himself. It is going to be a beautiful.

To me the ultimate car restorer is a guy like Jay Leno. He has guys who work for him, but he is out there getting greasy and doing the work. He will restore one and then drive a super rare car all over the place.

• wvbuzzmaster and superaben have said thanks

#21 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,639 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted February 20, 2015 - 04:24 PM

I used to hate those crappy clamps,I used to cut em off with a side cutter--oh well.

Now I'm going out to the garage and dig through my box of wing nuts. 

#22 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,471 Thanks
  • 1,133 posts

Posted February 20, 2015 - 06:01 PM

Who buys that? The jacka**es that buy overpriced cars at barrett-jackson

#23 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 20, 2015 - 06:01 PM

I used to hate those crappy clamps,I used to cut em off with a side cutter--oh well.

Now I'm going out to the garage and dig through my box of wing nuts. 

Think of the money you flushed down the drain!

Ben W.

• Bill 76 said thank you

#24 WHdbJD ONLINE  

WHdbJD

• Member No: 8367
  • 580 Thanks
  • 451 posts

Posted February 20, 2015 - 08:28 PM

The "correctness" and nose in the air attitude is why I quit the Corvette hobby.  I got real tired of

the doctors, lawyers and stockbrokers who wouldn't know a spark plug from a toggle switch,

looking down on me because I didn't have a special rare number matching Vette.

• EricR, UncleWillie and Bill 76 have said thanks