#1 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 19, 2015 - 09:56 PM

Yeah, we do.

But we also ought to be thankful we are not antique car nuts.

Take a look at this ad for a new Wittek hose clamp. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121574928929

Is a hose clamp really worth $135 when you can buy one all day for $5 even with the old style Wittek setup?   Sure, its worth $135!  It is a rare part!  Your car is not restored unless you have a real Wittek clamp with little Wittek labeling scratched into it. 

Being the nice guy that I am, I'll make every old car guy a deal.  I'll buy the $5 clamp, engrave the details onto it myself with my little engraver, and then sell them for $99 each.  All car restorations will suddenly become $36 cheaper.

Ben W.

• Bolens 1000, Texas Deere and Horse, wvbuzzmaster and 9 others have said thanks

#2 Mr Electrak OFFLINE  

Mr Electrak

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1249
  • 121 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted February 19, 2015 - 10:13 PM

Oh, but it gets better !

Look at the other listings this guy has !

How bout a $ 285.00 toggle switch, or or a nice pair of license plate mounting screws for $ 75.00 ??

Yeesh.
  • wvbuzzmaster, tinbender7, Jack and 2 others have said thanks

#3 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted February 19, 2015 - 10:28 PM

When you are competing in a concours event those kind of details will win or loose. The right date code on a hose clamp may seem insignifigant to our tractor hobby but those guys are nuts. There are websites that you cannot get into unless you can prove you own that particular model of vehicle. For example on a 69 Indy Camaro pace car there is a bolt missing on the cars UNDER THE DASH from the factory. IF you say your is concours correct it had better not be there. I know a woman who lost a competition because her brake master cyl cap was the wrong color. That is the only thing that cost her points. They have to have the correct chalk marks on them and the overspray has to be perfect.

• rustyoldjunk, Alc, wvbuzzmaster and 9 others have said thanks

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 19, 2015 - 10:37 PM

When you are competing in a concours event those kind of details will win or loose. The right date code on a hose clamp may seem insignifigant to our tractor hobby but those guys are nuts. There are websites that you cannot get into unless you can prove you own that particular model of vehicle. For example on a 69 Indy Camaro pace car there is a bolt missing on the cars UNDER THE DASH from the factory. IF you say your is concours correct it had better not be there. I know a woman who lost a competition because her brake master cyl cap was the wrong color. That is the only thing that cost her points. They have to have the correct chalk marks on them and the overspray has to be perfect.

If this is true, then I am in the wrong NOS parts business.  :rolling: :rolling:

The money is there.  I am here. 

My only question is that how do they know that that one little baby bolt was missing from the factory on every car?  :wave:

Ben W.

• Alc, wvbuzzmaster, tinbender7 and 2 others have said thanks

#5 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 19, 2015 - 10:41 PM

My only question is that how do they know that that one little baby bolt was missing from the factory on every car?  :wave:

Ben W.

That guy is one of the judges. :D
  • Gtractor, superaben and Bill 76 have said thanks

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 19, 2015 - 10:42 PM

That guy is one of the judges. :D

:rolling: :rolling:

That is what we call in the south a "racket!"

Ben W.

• wvbuzzmaster, Sawdust and Bill 76 have said thanks

#7 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted February 19, 2015 - 10:45 PM

If this is true, then I am in the wrong NOS parts business.  :rolling: :rolling:

The money is there.  I am here. 

Ben W.

My understanding is that after a couple were restored and found to be missing the same bolt the rest of them that have been restored had the same missing bolt. The joke is that the guy on the assembly line was being lazy that day because it is a hard bolt to get installed.

• Alc, boyscout862, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#8 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 19, 2015 - 10:57 PM

My understanding is that after a couple were restored and found to be missing the same bolt the rest of them that have been restored had the same missing bolt. The joke is that the guy on the assembly line was being lazy that day because it is a hard bolt to get installed.

Our excuse in the equipment sales world is to say it was a Monday or a Friday.  He's either tired after a big weekend or too excited thinking about the big weekend ahead! 

Car restoration guys are the best when it comes to authenticity.  I know a guy who sells oil filter decals so you can make sure your oil filter carries the right logos for the era.  :(  I know someone else who was able to relabel spark plugs by stripping the current screen printing and redoing it the old way before using some sort of special clear coat to seal it back. 

Ben W.

• Alc, wvbuzzmaster, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#9 Jack OFFLINE  

Jack
  • Member No: 9304
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted February 19, 2015 - 11:03 PM

You think that is pricey?  Check out his $325.00 dollar wing nut.      :say_what:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item1c4d089e6e

• IamSherwood and Bill 76 have said thanks

#10 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 19, 2015 - 11:13 PM

I get so fed up with this "make it perfect new old stock" because I truly believe that (apology to those I offend) it is better to know what you have now and be able to use it as intended than to make it so perfectly original looking you have to buy it a special trailer just to keep it from getting road dirt on it going to the show. I do like the idea of it being perfect, but these old machines want to work up a sweat once in a while.

Example 1: My Uncle restored a 1954 Packard with its original straight 8 engine, did it beautiful, and enjoys driving it. He parks it in the barn and covers it with some old blankets to keep it safe. When a car show he decides to attend comes around he gets in the Packard and drives it there with all the heavy traffic. One show he attended awarded him a trophy for "farthest distance traveled" and he questioned them because he was within an hour from his house and saw out of state plates on several cars. The answer he received was "Those cars were trailered here, you drove your car here."

Example 2: Same Uncle quit a Packard club because none of them could answer a mechanical question about their Packard without using the words "my mechanic".

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, February 19, 2015 - 11:15 PM.

• wilberj, Gtractor, Alc and 8 others have said thanks

#11 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted February 20, 2015 - 01:56 AM

You think that is pricey?  Check out his $325.00 dollar wing nut.      :say_what:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item1c4d089e6e

$7 shipping ! What a rip off !  :rolling:

• Jack, superaben and Jazz have said thanks

#12 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,104 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted February 20, 2015 - 05:51 AM

So Ben, is that hose clamp for the top or bottom and which end , rad end or engine end. Just wondering, they might be different ???? Noel

#13 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 3,988 posts

Posted February 20, 2015 - 06:29 AM

Every morning, one fool awakes, put on his pc and looks, what shall be sold at epays... and he finds this offer, a must have! And now, gentlemen, tell me what's to do? Will we shoot the fool down? No!

#14 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,436 Thanks
  • 948 posts

Posted February 20, 2015 - 06:41 AM

Now everybody go check all your hose clamps for dates! Maybe you got a box of them..  Not all older vehicles were assembled the same.  The black cab in this picture had the instrument bezel screwed in while all others for that model were spot welded in...I assume the spot welder quit for whatever reason and someone drilled and screwed bezel in to keep assembly line going..The cab also only had one hole punched for a windshield wiper. Normally 2 holes would be punched,,driver side and passenger although having a wiper installed on passenger side was a added option...but the hole would be there.

IMG_2001_zps1a7f2551.jpg

• IamSherwood, sacsr, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#15 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted February 20, 2015 - 07:32 AM

Jazz, I just love the look of your truck. :dancingbanana:  :dancingbanana:

Is there more pics posted here somewhere?

• UncleWillie, superaben and Jazz have said thanks