• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Earl OFFLINE  

Earl
  • Member No: 34405
  • 76 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted February 19, 2015 - 02:42 PM

I can't get Stanley to start cold unless I ether him. This is the first time I've had this problem with him. He started last year when I was pushing snow without a hitch.

I thought that maybe the valves had tightened up some with the extreme cold so I rechecked them and the left intake was a little tight but it didn't make any difference in it. I've cranked him till the battery was down then hit it with a starter boost from my charger and it still won't fire without ether.

When it is running, when you throttle up you get a huge puff of black smoke before it revs and it surges at idle a bit.

Power seems good though and it pushes snow till it runs out of traction. Any thoughts?

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,756 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted February 19, 2015 - 03:03 PM

Its sounds like the choke is not making the mixture rich enough. The carb may need to be cleanned and adjusted. The spark should be checked first because it could cause the problem and it is easier to test. Check the appropriated manual in our Manuals Section for the troubleshooting guide. Good Luck, Rick

Is it a diesel? If it is you have a cold starting proceedure that may include either. Below 32*(all of February so far), I have to use either on my diesels.

Edited by boyscout862, February 19, 2015 - 03:07 PM.

#3 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,304 Thanks
  • 4,657 posts

Posted February 19, 2015 - 04:09 PM

It's not a diesel if it's got valves..  

The choke or gas restriction gets the nod.  Depends on what type of engine or ignition 'Stanley' has..

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted February 19, 2015 - 05:57 PM

Uhhhh! Diesels have valves too!   Never had one, but I wouldn't give it a NAME for sure, ha!  SO, what is this brand and engine type?  I know big MM Diesels were not good starters in winter, maybe it's just the brand you have?  Filters are big thing on those, some have more than one, maybe that needs cleaning?  Not sure if such thing, maybe some cleaner in fuel for system?  Like Gas guys use Sea-Foam, but not sure if that or anything works in Diesel engines?  Thinner "Winter" fuel??

#5 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 19, 2015 - 08:58 PM

If it's a gas engine, try the Sea Foam treatment... get the engine running, then pour or spray SeaFoam into the carb inlet--don't kill the engine until you've done this for a couple minutes or so.  It will produce dense white smoke, so be aware of that, and warn the neighbors if you have a jittery one that calls 911 at the drop of a hat.

After 3 or 4 minutes, put in enough Sea Foam to stall the engine--but not too much... you don't want to have hydrostatic lock.

Then, put the choke on, replace air cleaner and let it sit for a half hour to an hour.

Start it up again--some more white smoke at first, but it will definitely help the engine run better.  Put a little Sea Foam in the fuel, too (safe for gas or diesel)... it helps preserve the fuel.

DON'T POUR SEA FOAM INTO A DIESEL AIR INTAKE--USE IN FUEL ONLY!!

I put Sea Foam in the fuel tank of my Dayton in July 2013.  I started it up 2 weeks ago with that almost 2 year old gas... it had started to turn yellow, but still ran... it's amazing stuff.

FWIW,

Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, February 19, 2015 - 08:59 PM.

• MH81, WHdbJD and Earl have said thanks

#6 Earl OFFLINE  

Earl
  • 76 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted February 19, 2015 - 10:51 PM

Sorry guys, I wasn't thinking. Its a Briggs & Stratton 21hp Intek OHV twin.

#7 PaulL OFFLINE  

PaulL
  • Member No: 49081
  • 111 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted February 20, 2015 - 01:35 AM

If you can't get Stanley to start cold, try some hot black coffee. Ether will only put him to sleep longer.
  • KennyP, WNYTractorTinkerer and Earl have said thanks

#8 Earl OFFLINE  

Earl
  • 76 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 10:06 AM

I poured some Techtron and Sea Foam in then filled the the tank this morning. Ethered the snot out of him then pushed the driveway and parking spot.

I think my new battery is dead too. It was smelling like sulphur when I was boosting it and only showed 56% when the charger did it's test.

#9 Earl OFFLINE  

Earl
  • 76 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 04:05 PM

Well he started without ether, but it was close. Seemed to be flooded as he didn't want choked. Anyways, he pushed some snow and here in a bit he'll have to do it again. Were supposed to get around an inch an hour for the next little while. I HATE SNOW!
  • WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#10 Earl OFFLINE  

Earl
  • 76 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 06:16 PM

Now the clutch start switch is froze up so no starty. Man I wish my shop was heated.

#11 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,304 Thanks
  • 4,657 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 06:37 PM

Pull the gas cap off and toss a match!!  It'll warm up the shop..  I was in mind- hiatus when I wrote the valve thingy..  Thinking about 2 strokes..   

Things for your 'To do list'

1-  Buy a new battery..  The sulfur smell means the electrolyte is likely below the plates and things get bad & it won't hold a charge.  Also the thing has magnetos and the slower it turns, the weaker the spark in the plugs..

2-  You have fuel to the carb if you ran it..  Is there a chance that snow/water is getting into the fuel tank?  Watered down fuel will make it run ruff for sure.  

3-  Plugs-  Pull them and read them for what is happening in the thing.  Replace them if they are black/ nas-T.

4-  While the plugs are out, ground them to the engine and check your spark.  Weak spark will tend to make starting less er..  robust!

Good luck!!

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, February 21, 2015 - 06:38 PM.

#12 Earl OFFLINE  

Earl
  • 76 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 07:02 PM

Well he started today, in 30* weather without the choke at all. Coughed black smoke for a bit but smoothed out and pushed snow again for an hour. Haven't tried since but what would cause it to flood so bad after shutdown but not stall it running?

#13 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,736 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 11:11 PM

Check the oil and see if it has gas in it. The Hemorrhoid did almost the same thing and the fuel pump was leaking and filling the engine up. I put a shutoff on it till I got it fixed. Worked great.

• Alc said thank you

#14 Earl OFFLINE  

Earl
  • 76 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted February 23, 2015 - 05:30 AM

Check the oil and see if it has gas in it. The Hemorrhoid did almost the same thing and the fuel pump was leaking and filling the engine up. I put a shutoff on it till I got it fixed. Worked great.

I'll check it out this evening after work. I need to rig up something to adjust the blades without having to climb off the tractor anyways.