Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Vote Featured Tractor March 2015

voting featured tractor

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

Poll: Vote Featured Tractor March 2015 (115 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote Featured Tractor March 2015

1. Gravely 5260 - superaben (33 votes [28.70%])

Percentage of vote: 28.70%

2. Garden All Model S3 - Bob IN (6 votes [5.22%])

Percentage of vote: 5.22%

3. David Bradley - Gtractor (20 votes [17.39%])

Percentage of vote: 17.39%

4. Standard Twin - morepower302 (31 votes [26.96%])

Percentage of vote: 26.96%

5. Montgomery Wards Walk Behind - MH81 (6 votes [5.22%])

Percentage of vote: 5.22%

6. Edko Walking Tractor - lauber1 (1 votes [0.87%])

Percentage of vote: 0.87%

7. Plow Hoss - crittersf1 (2 votes [1.74%])

Percentage of vote: 1.74%

8. Handiman Jr. - Columbia236 (16 votes [13.91%])

Percentage of vote: 13.91%

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 09:39 AM

Voting for GTtalk Featured Tractor of the Month for the month of March has now officially started. This month's theme is Walk Behinds.

The winner will be featured on the GTtalk Home Page for the entire month of March and in our Featured Tractor Section for infinity. 

We have 8 nominations this month. Let the Voting Begin!

• Gravely 5260 - superaben
  • Garden All Model S3 - Bob IN
  • David Bradley - Gtractor
  • Standard Twin - morepower302
  • Montgomery Wards Walk Behind - MH81
  • Edko Walking Tractor - lauber1
  • Plow Hoss - crittersf1
  • Handiman Jr - Columbia236

Before voting please be sure to check out all the entries in the posts below.

• rustyoldjunk, Gtractor, MH81 and 4 others have said thanks

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 11:50 PM

This post has been promoted to an article

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0017.JPG
  • IMG_0018.JPG
  • IMG_0019.JPG

• Bolens 1000, olcowhand, Gtractor and 26 others have said thanks

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24042
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted February 03, 2015 - 07:26 PM

Well after much deliberation I have decide what I will enter. I am entering my 1949 Garden all model S 3. This is the tractor that got me interested in the walk behinds. My dad bought this at the Portland spring swap meet about 23 years ago. When he bought it, it came with a sickle bar mower and plow. He bought it to mow a small fenced in pasture that had a lot of trees and grown up brush. It was to help clean up the lot. So he used it for a long time mowing around fences and along the ditches. Another task it was used for was running a small belt driven concrete mixer. (The whole time dad had it I never once saw the plow on it)

I have many memories of it growing up. It has a very distinct sound when it runs, due to the optional muffler. I always wanted to drive it but wasn't aloud to because I wasn't big enough. Then for a while it was parked and not much was ever done with it. Dad was even talking about selling it! Thankfully it stayed around. And time passed and I got into the garden tractors more. Eventually I ended up trading dad something for it. So it was finally mine.  

Its all original. I have since then acquired a few more attachments for it. I asked dad why he never used the plow. He told me that he tired it once and it didn't work worth a darn. So one of the first things I had to do was put the plow on and try it myself. I put the plow on (which is a chore by yourself), drove it down to the garden and well as you can see in the pictures it don't do to bad.

I have had a lot of different walk behind tractors. And out of all of them this still has to be one of my favorites. Some day I want to restore it, but for now I like it in its working cloths.

Attached Thumbnails

• post-24042-0-53591700-1399330008.jpg
  • post-24042-0-28173400-1403131593.jpg
  • post-24042-0-82023400-1399329950.jpg

• Bolens 1000, olcowhand, Gtractor and 17 others have said thanks

#4 Gtractor OFFLINE  

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,373 Thanks
  • 3,803 posts

Posted February 04, 2015 - 10:44 PM

Always hard to compete with an heirloom tractor but I'll throw my hat in the ring.  I'd like to thank GTTalk for setting aside a month and a feature for only walk behind tractors.  I started out collecting only walk behinds and although I now have many ride-ons, I still have a great appreciation for the handle bars.  Thanks for reading my entry and please vote your choice every month!  

I'd like to nominate my David Bradley.  I bought this tractor at auction well over a decade ago for a whopping $35.  It was rainy and generally a miserable day to stand around at an auction.  The seller was headed for the nursing home and the sale really was a lifetime collection.   After many hours standing around doing my best to stay warm it was nice to get a bargain on the tractor.   

The tractor was actually in very good condition - one of those "survivor tractors" you hear about now-a-days.  This tractor had never sat outside as evidenced by the original paint and genuine Allstate knobbie tires that didn't have any weather cracking on them.  Today, a tractor in as good of condition as this one was would not get restored, only preserved.  Unfortunately this one was restored before it was cool to leave survivors "as is".  The tractor came with original David Bradley belts that looked decent but fell apart upon being used.  Those belts also should have been preserved but I didn't know any better at the time.  This tractor even has a perfect original offset muffler so the exhaust comes out the hole in the center of the grille as it should.

The only real drawback about the tractor when I bought it was the flywheel cover was missing from the Briggs engine, and the engine itself was stuck.   When I got the tractor home I removed the spark plug and poured some diesel fuel down the hole.  Letting the engine soak I gathered up a flywheel shroud from a parts-only engine.  The flywheel nut had been rounded off very badly and evidence showed the guilty party had been trying to remove the nut by turning it the wrong way.  These engines have left handed threads on the flywheel nut.  I suppose the points needed cleaned many years before and when the previous owner couldn't remove the flywheel to get to the points, the machine was stuck in an old out building and forgotten.  I used a dremel tool to square up the nut and it backed right out with a good six point impact socket on a ratchet.  Another advantage in attempting to removing the flywheel nut was the engine came free just as soon as torque was applied to the nut.  The engine had only been soaking for 25 minutes at this point!  Upon removal of the flywheel the points and all connections were cleaned.  With everything back together the coil, points, and condensor produced bright blue spark and upon reinstallation of the spark plug the old Briggs had very good compression.  No valves were stuck and the gas tank was very clean so with fresh gas the tractor fired right up and ran beautifully. 

This Bradley has a speed changer which works very well allowing some variation in speeds over the standard one speed tractor.  Restoration was pretty straight forward.  I sent the wheels, handlebars, engine mounting plate, and hood to the local sandblaster. All other parts were cleaned with a four and a half inch angle grinder with a wire wheel head.  A Dremel Tool was used for the small, hard to get to places. 

The genuine David Bradley air compressor came from the Adrian, MO tractor and engine swap meet.  It wasn't nearly as nice as the tractor was and had been welded to a piece of old style tread plate at some time so an electric motor could power it.  The rings were stuck to the piston but came lose with the help of a friend that knew what he was doing and it pumps very well.  I polished the brass fittings and added a new pressure gauge.  The compressor has a pop-off valve so pressure doesn't get too high.  I took that apart, cleand it really well, and with a little trial-and-error adjustment, it works like it should. 

My brother found the genuine David Bradley sulky seat, dump rake, along with more than a full size pickup load of other DB stuff out behind an old abandoned small engine repair shop just outside Harrisonville, MO.  Everything was sitting in several years worth of uncut vegitation and hard to see, but what a treasure hunt that was!   If there were small parts I'm sure I missed them. 

The seat and rake were completely dismantled and sent to the sandblaster.  I painted everything up just as it was.  The seat and rake had surface rust all over but just enough factory paint on each piece to know what colors to paint them.  

All pieces have the original DB serial tags in place and were painted as close to original as I could. 

Edited by Gtractor, February 15, 2015 - 10:58 AM.

• Bolens 1000, MH81, Alc and 18 others have said thanks

#5 morepower302 OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 64862
  • 72 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted February 08, 2015 - 02:01 AM

I have to agree with Gtractor, it's going to be hard to compete with an heirloom tractor and such a great story from superaben.  However, in the spirit of having fun and telling stories I'd like to give this a go.

When I originally started typing up this story I didn't expect it to be this long, so if you want to read the first paragraph and skip to the pictures I won't be offended.  Otherwise enjoy...

I am going to nominate my 1940 Standard Twin.  I acquired this tractor about 13 years ago.  By the time I had purchased it I was fully into the hobby 110%, going to shows and adding to my collection when I could.  I had restored my Cub Cadet 104, Cub Cadet "Original" and Wheel Horse Suburban 400 and was enjoying them very much.  I was ready to add something different to my collection though, that may not have been rare enough to belong in a museum, but was not necessarily at every show. 

The spring of 2002 a friend of mine who I had gotten into the hobby with me mentioned an upcoming equipment auction.  It was an outdoor action and was substantial in size.  I agreed to go and check it out.  This was my first experience at an auction like this, let alone any.  I remember arriving and being awe-struck over rows upon rows of various equipment and miscellaneous items up for action.  We went up to the office and got our numbers.  My friend was gracious enough to give me a quick "auctions for dummies" lesson and off we went to see what we could find.  I worked my way up and down several rows and had found one or two items of interest, but not exactly what I was originally looking for. 

For some reason earlier that morning I had thought it would be really cool to have a crank start garden tractor.  I had always enjoyed when my parents would take me to the local antique car show when I was a child and there would be a few old cars with their crank handles prominently displayed out front.  Then I saw the Standard Twin.  It was sitting at the very end of a row.  Most the paint had chipped and worn off the engine cowlings, and there was a mix of rust, dirt and grease covering the remainder of it with some faded blue and red paint here and there.  I wasn't the nicest looking tractor, but it was by first sight at a Standard Twin and it sure was different.  I grabbed a hold of the engine pulley and it spun free with plenty of compression.  As I did so I noticed the recess in the front of the crank shaft, then the crank sitting in the holder above the transmission.  A crank start?!  Indeed it was, and I was completely sold on it.  As history has it I ended up as the winning bidder.

After I had gotten the tractor home I was excited to get it running.  The gas tank was for the most part clean inside and I had my fingers crossed that it was the same for the carburetor.  I put some fresh gas in it and started cranking.  At first it wouldn't light off.  Then it started shooting a 6" flame straight out the exhaust, but still wouldn't start.  By this time it was dark outside, and as awesome as it was to see fire shoot out the exhaust every time I cranked  it over, it wasn't a fire breathing dragon that I was after.  I decided to quit for the evening and give it a try the next day.  I thought quite a bit that evening what the issue could be.  Timing maybe?  Valves?  I decided to take the valve covers off and have a look before I tried anything with the timing.  I found that the exhaust valve for the number one cylinder was stuck partially open.  I applied some oil to it and got it freed up.  I then started cranking again.  Before long I had it running, and I loved the sound of that in-line twin.

At this time I was a senior in high school and was required to complete a "senior project" as credit towards graduation.  I recall the school explaining the requirements and giving examples of what we could no, none of which I was really interested in.  I wanted to do something that represented who I was, and that I was passionate about.  Then I had an idea, I could restore a tractor, but I needed to sell the idea.  As most people on here know, there's more to restoring garden tractors than cleaning off dirt and rust and applying new paint.  Such a task requires project management, budgeting, and in the case of my senior project, time management with a deadline.  Not to mention a little skill and patience.  The school agreed that my tractor restoration project was acceptable.  I had a few tractors other than the Standard Twin that were candidates for restoration, but I decided the Twin would be the best choice.  It would be a challenge but wasn't too complex to where I couldn't complete it within the timeline that I had.

My goal for the Twin was to keep it as original as possible, down to every nut and bolt.  Other than some cosmetic issues, the tractor was in otherwise good mechanical condition.  The tractor had one main issue though, the wheels were not by any means to any data I had found through research to be original.  It had what looked to be wheels off an old truck with custom hubs to fit the axles of the twin.  This was going to have to change to keep it original, but I had no idea where I was going to get original wheels for a 60 year old garden tractor in the few months I had before it needed to be completed.  As luck has it I was able to get in contact with someone who had a Standard Twin parts tractor for sale, including a set of original steel wheels.  Everything else on the tractor was original as far as I could find, well...except for the spark plugs.  This I had a solution for as well.  While at a show during the summer prior I had come across a vendor selling tables full of antique spark plugs for $1.00 each.  At that price I grabbed what I could, both what I knew I could use and some that may be useful in the future.  Indeed I had purchased set that fit the Standard Twin, and were from the same era.  I switched out the newer Champion plugs for the correct "old style" plugs after checking the gap was set correctly and to this day I think it runs better with them than any newer style plug.  Next came the paint.  I have found that Standard used a few different paint schemes over the years on these tractors.  This one was dark blue with red.  One of the valve covers had some paint that was well preserved from years of oil residue and dirt build-up.  It cleaned up well and I was off to get some paint.  I was able to find a red that matched closely, but the blue was more of a challenge.  I had people tell me that certain paints were similar to the dark blue that Standard used, but for something that was going to decide if I would be graduating high school or not, I was in need of a better solution for the blue.  That's where PPG came to the rescue.  The guys at the local store were more than helpful.  They took the valve cover and mixed a custom match for me, giving me tips on how to use their products.  With paint in hand and all the parts cleaned up and media blasted as applicable, I got to painting.  This was the first tractor I had used an HVLP spray gun on, and I wish I had gotten one sooner.  It did an excellent job of applying the paint.  I had noticed that the gas tank mounting bracket had a two tone paint theme two it, going from blue to red as it got up towards the tank, so I decided to mask it off and keep this original as well.  With everything painted it was time for assembly, original steel wheels and all. 

I was happy with how my "crank start" tractor had turned out, just in time for presentation as my senior project.  I loaded it up and took it to school with me where a board of teachers awaited to judge it and my project management skills.  After a full presentation on the project and everything that goes into restoring a garden tractor, everyone seemed impressed.  It wasn't until I showed them the tractor in person and offered to start it that one of the teachers told me to wait as they wanted go get the Principal to see it run as well.  Everyone was quite impressed as I cranked the tractor over and it came to life.  I was given full credit for the project.

The pictures below are from when I had the Standard Twin at the Grease, Steam, and Rust show in McConnellsburg, PA a few years back.  Sadly I have lost all the original before and after pictures I had due to a computer crash.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1569.jpg
  • IMG_1568.jpg
  • IMG_1570.jpg

• olcowhand, DougT, Gtractor and 18 others have said thanks

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,661 Thanks
  • 28,314 posts

Posted February 08, 2015 - 08:19 PM

OK, I will toss my Wards Walk Behind into the ring. 

(Guys, when you see me make a mistake on what this is, please let me know.)

19 years ago, When my bride to be and I bought our house, I was looking at something nimble enough to use to do some landscaping and gravel locating for the driveway.  My Dad told me he had just the ticket. This little thing had a pair of 60# wheel weights and a set of chains and would work me into the ground.

I remember coming home from work and starting this gem up and really being ready for bedtime when the hour hit.

Along with the tractor, was a reel mower (as yet, I've never used it and just this winter, I managed to buy a rotary mower for it.

Someday, I hope to collect some rear attachments for it, but I am in no hurry and figure all in good time

It's a reminder of my Dad's impact in my life and was the first Garden tractor I could say I owned.  

To the best of my knowledge, It is one of the Trac series of Wards tractors.   I believe this to be a Simplicity built Chor Trac from the early 50's  My hesitation on it's designation is that the Chore Trac's i have seen were all 2.5 and up HP.  I have no reason to believe this isn't the OEM engine, so I remain confused & ready to be corrected :D

Attached Thumbnails

• P2080823 (Large).JPG
  • P2080815 (Large).JPG
  • P2080816 (Large).JPG
  • P2080817 (Large).JPG
  • P2080819 (Large).JPG
  • P2080821 (Large).JPG
  • P2080822 (Large).JPG

• Bolens 1000, olcowhand, Gtractor and 17 others have said thanks

#7 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,421 Thanks
  • 2,783 posts

Posted February 08, 2015 - 10:56 PM

i'll enter an unrestored tractor. This is a Walking Tractor built by Edko of Des Moines Iowa. It represents about the last in the line of walk-behinds, , being built between 1974 and 1978. The company also built the one wheel Row Hoss, which was sold under several other names. Western Auto also contacted with Edko to build the one wheeled model and maybe the two wheeled one. Another tractor built by EDko was a combo tiller/two wheeled tractor that you usually see in Europe. It was a tiller in one mode and by removing the tings you mounted wheels to the drive and attachments behind the machine. This machine attracted the attention of Ariens, who bought out the company in 1978, and featured the tiller machine in there catalog in 1979. I think the reason they went out of business was the high price of this unit compared to other models. It cost over $500 just for the tractor, and if you would have bought all the attachments, you would have spent a grand, which for the late 70's was a lot of money for a walk-behind, that didn't cut any grass.

I got this nonrunning machine with out any attachments, but they use a simple draw bar system so making or altering some wont be an issue. The tractor uses a 6hp engine with a 6:1 reduction built in and then a large small pulley to get down to the wheels. It also has a reverser similar to what a pre-war Handiman used, where you run a drive pulley against the outside of a belt. Its controlled by a single lever which is moved in the direction of travel.  One unique item it has is a patented sliding reverse/forwards hub, that works to let the wheel track widen by just moving a snap ring on each side of the hub.

I never had a plan for this tractor, other than it was built in Iowa. I did get it running a couple of yrs ago, but haven't played with it since then. There have been several other ones on the site here, but you don't hear about them often.

edko 1.jpg

edko 2.jpg

edko 3.jpg

• olcowhand, DougT, Gtractor and 17 others have said thanks

#8 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,118 Thanks
  • 5,668 posts

Posted February 11, 2015 - 09:09 AM

Probably a complete waste of time after seeing all the other entries of cool walk behinds this month, but here goes anyway. I'm going to throw  my Plow Hoss into the mix.

The Plow Hoss is a one wheel walk behind manufactured by Maximm if memory serves. Was also marketed under the Wizard name as a Power Wheel and several others that I can't recall right now.

Haven't done a whole lot of research on it but I believe it's a 1975 or 1976 model.  5 horse briggs with a gear reduction unit, forward only.

Took it on a trade for some automotive work about 8 years ago and it sat under a shelter all but forgotten for about 6 years. I pulled it out one day, dumped some gas in it and it fired right up, although the carb does need some work. One day I'll get around to restoring it.156.jpg 157.jpg

• olcowhand, DougT, Gtractor and 15 others have said thanks

#9 Columbia236 ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 23802
  • 294 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted February 14, 2015 - 09:35 AM

Hello all This is my nomination 1936 Handiman jr. The Handiman story can be complicated with different models in a given year and some recycled to later years. Unfortunately the Handiman web site is down the last time I tried to access it a car commercial appears . If it has been moved somewhere let me know, I miss it. Your first response is there is no  `36 Handiman jr, my first thought also.When I purchased this tractor I thought it was a `33 ,but a `33 with this wheel size would have a Briggs model M engine this has a model A . The engine has a Sears tag so it`s original or a Sears replacement . Then the answer came looking though the Handiman web site, in the catalog pages section there was an ad for the 1936 Handiman jr. with a Briggs model A.The `36 must have been a `33 model A Handiman (with the Briggs model M engine) that didn`t sell and made a return as a `36.This is just a theory and may be wrong,very few things in the garden tractor world are for sure.

This tractor came to me from a collector in central Pa. in rough and mostly original condition (the way we like them!) and it ran . The Handiman decal can still be seen on the tank. Feel free to add comments, questions or corrections Thanks Chuck                      

Attached Thumbnails

• beeman 006.jpg
  • 1936farm1.jpg
  • DSCF0724.JPG
  • DSCF0725.JPG

• olcowhand, DougT, Gtractor and 14 others have said thanks

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 06:47 PM

Thanks for all of the great nominations for our Walk Behind month. Let the voting begin. :D

• Gtractor, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 5 others have said thanks

#11 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,137 Thanks
  • 2,269 posts

Posted February 20, 2015 - 07:15 AM

You know, I've never been much for walk behind tractors.  I always figured "if I'm going to spend money on this hobby or on machinery to work around the house, it better be able to lug my butt around".  As a result, I never really paid much attention to the walk behinds.  No doubt this attitude has played a role in my present stature.  I have to say though, this month presents perhaps one of the most difficult choices I've seen in a long time.  Hat's off to you walk behind guys.  These are all great machines!  Good luck to all of you!

• Gtractor, MH81, superaben and 3 others have said thanks

#12 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,118 Thanks
  • 5,668 posts

Posted February 20, 2015 - 10:42 PM

Over 20,000 members and only 30 votes!? C'mon folks.

• Gtractor said thank you

#13 A-Tinkerer OFFLINE  

• Member No: 67548
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 03:25 PM

Tried to vote for the 1940 Standard Twin but got...

Sorry, you don't have permission for that!

Could be others that want to Vote are getting the same?

#14 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,446 Thanks
  • 17,086 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 03:35 PM

Hi Welcome to GTT :wave:

You can try voting again, I believe once you make a post you can then participate in the forum activities such as voting

#15 grattone OFFLINE  

• Member No: 66237
  • 221 Thanks
  • 166 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 04:35 PM

All of the machines have their good points, but the fact it was Grandpa's, it is still being used and has a future with the grand kids that did it for me.

Good luck to all  of you

• Gtractor and superaben have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: voting, featured tractor