• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,316 Thanks
  • 28,634 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 11:19 PM

Nice save! It will have many, many more years of helping to spread the word now.
  • Sawdust said thank you

#18 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,952 posts

Posted February 19, 2015 - 12:41 PM

Most of the router work I do is making my own trim so it doesn't look like most others or trying to match old existing trim. I'm trying to find time to build a router lift & a new table. This tractor fever I have has been taking priorities over my wood working projects. :D

I was asking cause I have one of those jigs that turns your router into a lathe I think or it does the replicating like chair/table legs, can't remember which. Box has never been opened and in my barn attic for years and I will never use it, it's not going to new house with me.

It's yours if you want it before I yard sale it in the spring

• Sawdust said thank you

#19 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted February 19, 2015 - 01:31 PM

Looks real nice Jim. :thumbs:

If you're looking at router tables, or a mix of building/buying parts of a system

you should look at this stuff. It's a joy to work with. It's almost like having a

milling machine. One thou increments on the fence, and height adjustments.

It'll make you want to router everything.

http://www.incra.com...ct_rtf_main.htm

• Sawdust said thank you

#20 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted February 19, 2015 - 01:45 PM

Yeah Will I've used them before. I had a smaller version years ago when I use to make my own cabinet doors. With the high cost of good materials,  & set up time it's been better for me to just buy the doors. This way I can give the HO a few options then order them. Before I would have to set up run off a few choices then take to HO & wait until they decide...took forever. 

#21 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted February 19, 2015 - 01:48 PM

I was asking cause I have one of those jigs that turns your router into a lathe I think or it does the replicating like chair/table legs, can't remember which. Box has never been opened and in my barn attic for years and I will never use it, it's not going to new house with me.

It's yours if you want it before I yard sale it in the spring

Yeah I remember you mentioning that. When it gets nicer weather maybe we can get together. You mentioned you had an axle for my SS15. I have these ATV tires you wanted too. Thanks Marty

• TAHOE said thank you

#22 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted February 20, 2015 - 10:42 AM

Nice job!
  • Sawdust said thank you

#23 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,668 Thanks
  • 7,688 posts

Posted February 20, 2015 - 11:37 AM

Have you watched the TV show 'Salvage Dawgs'? The show shows these guys in Virginia taking apart old buildings for the salvageable parts to sell. On each show it features them building something from the parts; beds, seatees, bars, shelves, etc.

• Sawdust said thank you

#24 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,034 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted February 23, 2015 - 07:47 PM

Looks great! Nothing better than re-using and fixing up old stuff rather than just throwing it out!

DAC

• Sawdust said thank you

#25 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted February 23, 2015 - 10:20 PM

Have you watched the TV show 'Salvage Dawgs'? The show shows these guys in Virginia taking apart old buildings for the salvageable parts to sell. On each show it features them building something from the parts; beds, seatees, bars, shelves, etc.

Yeah LD I like that show too. It's getting harder to get that old stuff for a good price anymore. It's kind of like buying an old tractor for a good price. When they find out what you want the stuff for then they want the finish product price for it. Auctions are good but even those are hard to get into sometime. I usually buy from some of the local re purpose or re claimed yards that salvage from the old houses. 

• LilysDad said thank you

#26 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted March 12, 2015 - 07:06 PM

Here is a china cabinet I built in 1983. It is a replica of an Amish design my wife liked. It was really a lot of fun to build. Made with old growth pine that had a few knots, distressed & all heads of nails were flush to be seen. They had used vintage square head nails. What I done was I took #8 penny nails & mashed the heads on an anvil to form a rectangle or square look trying to keep them irregular. I let them sit outside for a few weeks to get rusty. One of the biggest reasons I built this was they wanted $2900. for it almost 32 years ago & of coarse she wanted it too. It cost me around $300. in materials plus about three months off & on to build in my spare time.

About every five or six years my wife takes everything off, cleans it real good & puts a coat of Tongue Oil on it. I'm hoping some day it will be an heirloom that the kids can carry on long after we're gone....but hope it doesn't cause a fight between them  :(

China Cabinet.jpg

• Alc, KennyP, MFDAC and 2 others have said thanks

#27 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,486 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted March 12, 2015 - 07:11 PM

That is a nice piece of furniture!

• Sawdust said thank you

#28 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,873 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted March 12, 2015 - 11:21 PM

That's beautiful, Sawdust.
  • Sawdust said thank you

#29 3v0 OFFLINE  

3v0
  • Member No: 26648
  • 79 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 12:26 AM

I can see ordering doors when doing work for money.

For personal use I ordered the tilting router lift plans from Woodgears.  I am impressed at what one can do with it but it can be a lot of time.   And I have yet to build the lift.

• Sawdust said thank you

#30 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,952 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 11:43 AM

There are a few guys on youtube that make incredible stuff using just routers and tables saws. The one that gets me is making a wooden bowl out of 1 piece of wood with a table saw. Then another guy who makes wooden gears, crazy stuff.

We have one of those family heirlooms, grandma's 1906 Victrola. I can see a big fight over it down the road whenever my mom passes.

I used to love wood working with my dad when I was home from college, just no time anymore.

• Sawdust said thank you